Posts by Buttercup Chillin

I have been asked how to close ones account at BYC.  This should be a 2 way street.   I have noticed that accounts on alot of forums cannot be closed.   I don't know - other than closing off your e-mail information.  Shutting down your PM.  Taking out all contact information from your Profile and signature line.  Anything else we can do?    Thanks for the help.Edited to add:  actually I can't find away to disable PM's, either.  Just their notification via e-mail. 
We know your birds don't get to 14-16 oz in 7 -8 weeks.  You have told us repeatedly.  ut you had the chance to get this strain and passed it by.  Go figure.
You can't always tell by looking at them.  Well sometimes you can tell you obviously have a mix.To put it simply Muscovies are Muscovies not ducks.  They are the only one in the Muscovy species.  When crossed with ducks they will be Mules or Hinnies, depending on how they are crossed.Resulting males will be sterile.Females - Mules will not lay eggs                 Hinnies will lay infertile eggsMore than likely people put the one year life span on them because it took them...
Exactly my point with the small portion compared to my Big Brown Coturnix in the same time period.  Heres something for you to think about.  I know, as you probably do that Texas is in an extreme drought.  The cattle ranchers have cut the herds by what was it 30-35% already and that's normal for a year, not the first 6 months.  They expect to cut them by 60-70% and many have started doing so already.  To do that they are selling off their breeders.  Means cheap beef this...
Thanks all.   I figured I could count on you to ID this bird in a minute.  Now I know what a young one looks like anyway.    I shall do a small taste test comparison to one of My Big Browns when it is 7-8 weeks old.  Just for the fun of it.  A snack, hum, maybe I should cook 2 Big Browns so hubby can have some.  LOL.
What I thought, a BOB cause it sure isn't a Coturnix.  Quail head, quail body, but a tail.    The tail threw me and just not sure.  Wanted to make sure it wasn't a wild bird of some kind.    (Around here there are wild Blue Scales, but never have seen a young one).  Never had BW's - don't want them.  Especially if this flighty thing is one.  Actually, let it stay on its stuffed dog's back and all is calm.   It can grow out in its own cage well away from the Coturnix...
No comb.  Way to small for a chicken, even a small bantam.
Good to hear.The class of now 1st graders hatched the big brown and the new Golds at 100% hatch rate.  I was suprised and proud of them.  Then they played with them for a week and they still grew well.  But now anything that shows up in their room well, teach has my number.  Knows to drop it off at my feed store and have him call me.  LOL.So be careful with those Kindergardener hatches.  You may end up with more than you bargained for.  LOL.Well it isn't fully feathered...
You read that right.  Got a chick from the kindergarden class, supposed to be a quail from another classes hatch.  This little chick ended up in their room after the guy came and picked up the chicks a few days later.  (This class hatched some of my Big Browns and the new Golds).  So now this chick is about 4 weeks old and has about a 2 inch + tail.  Its not a Coturnix for sure.  Darker brown on one side of feather than the other.  Feather tip ends in a White point.   The...
Hope I can post this here.  Just letting you know that on ustream there is a hatch going on of little Woodie ducks.  They will pop out of their hole and land in the lake later today or in the morning.  Cool to watch.  They almost look like Muscovy babies but are a wild duck, not a domestic.  Cute cute cute.  If interested the link is http://www.ustream.tv/channel/woodiecam1edited to add, he has ...cam2 for the jump vid tonight.tomorrow early morning.   Will have another...