Posts by Poison Ivy

Just curious since I don't ever have broody hens. Has anyone ever kept track of the humidity and temp under a broody hen for 21 days? I'm curious as to what it would be on average. I'd like to find out and then do a test run in my incubator with the same settings and see how the hatch turns out.
I do 45% humidity days 1-18 and 65% days 19-21. I only add two ounces of water every other day to maintain that percentage. I run aquarium tubing and color code each one to the correct water channel. I have a meat marinade syringe that I use to add the water through the tube.
I ordered a dozen two months ago they sent 13 eggs. 2 were cracked, 6 clear, 4 made it to around day 14-16 and stopped. 1 hatched. I'm a little upset that I only got one. I did have a friend give me a breeding pair, but I'm thinking of just getting rid of them and going with a different breed. Haven't made up my mind yet.
I'm going to have him cut it shorter when we start on the new run. I've been doing test runs on my VSB auto chicken door. I bought it over 10 years ago, but haven't used it in a few years. I'm just now getting back into chickens I missed them when I didn't have any. I also have some Georgia Giant Quail in the incubator hopefully hatching in a week.  I love cold weather but -14 is a little to chilly for this old Florida woman. I can't wait until the new area is done and the...
LOL, I told my hubby a couple times to cut it shorter. Did he listen to me? No, as you can see he left it as he made it. I live in Naples, Fl and its been in the middle 80's here this week. We don't even really get cold days here lowest night we have had has been a warm 45 degrees.

Use to live in Ocala then several years ago we moved to Naples, Fl. Is there anyone down this way? 
I just set 7 serma eggs in the bator on Tuesday. I'm pretty sure 3 are going to not make it. The air cells looked damaged from shipping. But, I have them sitting upright and I'm not going to turn them for the first 7 days. It's been about 5 years since I've run the incubators. So Happy Hatching everyone!   Your eggs should be fine and I always take mine out to candle them. Some people leave them in the turner. I'd say do what is more comfortable for you. You just...
I have a Hova Genius foam incubator had it for years and love it. About 5 years ago, I moved and had to sell off all my birds. The Hova and Sportsman bator went into storage. Decided the other day to get a few Serma eggs to hatch out. The Hova is holding temps right at 99.5-100* and humidity it around 50%. You could try to make your own with a cooler its super easy. I made one years ago before buying one. I used a dimmer switch cord instead of the hot water heater...
If she runs to her room a lot to hide do as a friend of mine did. They took the door off her room so she can no longer hide. She gets the door back on after she shows that she is serious about doing her chores or gets with the program. I can say from my friends point of view it worked wonders. 14 year olds like their privacy big time. I can also remember a friends mom from when I was a teen that would make her do every dish in the kitchen if she didn't do her chores. That...