Posts by rancher hicks

I have got so many jars I really need to get going on some jams.  There is so much yard work out there though. It's going to be rainy so i should just get things set up.    We don't have a lot of counter space though.     Lots of cherries and blue berries at the market. I expect plums to be  coming up next.    DW has to cut back on things because her blood sugar is up.  She'll be starting insulin cuz her treatments are the cause. She has to cut out all carbs, or most...
 I have to say I miss mine. I got chicks from Hinkjc (Jody) in PA.  He was very  big and I'm tempted to make the drive for more.  I gave him away in favor of my Dels and other breeds.  She doesn't ship chicks but will ship eggs.  IMO she's got the best on the east coast. 
 Very nice.  I'm getting antsy for a vacation or just to get away.  With DW on chemo her immune system is down so she can't go out much.  They say she's cancer free but this is just to get any microscopic cells that might be floating around.  What are fire tower hikes?   On CBS this guy wrote a book about walking and how we sit too much.  I think he's right.   My next door neighbor passed away today from cancer.  We weren't close friends,  just over the fence talk,  but...
 congrats on the hatch. Sometimes there is no pip. One minute nothing the next you come in and there they are.  I've been pulling chicks from the BR hen and her EE copilot who decided just a week or so ago she wanted to brood.  I've got another EE that is broody but I keep pulling her out of the box.   One BR had one egg left and it was bad so I tossed it.  I don't know what to do with all these broodies. I can't have chicks of various ages, though I do have four B. Marans...
 I would just keep an eye on them, but don't stress them. They'll sleep a lot at first.  I usually just give them water and medicated feed for a while.   You have them on paper towels?  That's fine I usually do the same for a couple of days to make sure they're all eating and pooping. Congratulations.  I wish you great success.  Rancher
Medical costs can be a lot and in some cases your'e required to sue or pay the charges yourself.  When I was bit by a dog as a letter carrier, I had to file by the PO so THEY could recoup their money.  Of course the owner of said dog should have done this willingly but folks don't.  As for Lurkers, you folks should just log in so we know your'e still with us. 
 How hot do you think they get?  Do they burn out quickly. These red lights seem to burn out fast and I've lost some chicks to that. I was using two at a time just to be safe.  I googled them and found conflicting reviews.  I do know that even regular incandescent  lights can get hot enough to cause a fire.  I think I might give them a try. 
 I've talked to DW about moving South as some states don't tax my retirement.  NY taxes everything it seems.  I like Alabama but the kids have moved to FL and they may move again before my son retires.  I didn't care for their neighborhood but was told they could have chickens.  They even had a TSC right around the corner. I've never heard of "roach back" what is that?  Do you have pics. ?   That pressure cooker sound great.  I've never eaten yard raised chicken.  The only...
Has anyone used these?  Are they safer than these Red Lights?  
I'm sure they'll be fine.