Posts by chicknmania

I use a stuffed animal too for chicks that I get that don't have a mom.  They love it.  TSC used to sell stuffed chickens, and those were the best!  For this brood of babies I got from the hatchery, I also made them a microwave rice bag that I then put inside an old sock and tied it up.  I warm the rice in the sock for 30 seconds on one side, flip it over, and ten second on the other side.  Let it cool for a minute or so and then it is toasty warm..but not too warm...and...
It's just a matter of preference.  Roosters do help protect the flock, but they are not a necessity for anything.  People have them because they like them, basically.  If you don't want fertile eggs, probably not.
Happened here too with a mink.  We were lucky it did not get them all because ours can roost higher and they have more room to run.  We hired a professional trapper and he has not been able to catch it.  But we did find where it had been coming in. Same thing.  Ate half of one of our birds.  Took a couple others away somewhere. Stuffed one in a pallet for later. Left the rest lying untouched.  Made me sick. 
I have the same problem and mine is five days old too.  When we picked the chicks up from the hatchery I hesitated a little about accepting this one...although I could have switched her out, I didn't.  Now I'm kicking myself for not doing that. How can you dropper feed when they are that tiny??  She really is tiny compared to the others. Help? All of the other chicks are doing fine and thriving. 
Shouldn't the trapper be cleaning the traps with something in between trap victims to kill the smell of death and blood and whatever?   And wouldn't it help if he coated it with mink oil or something to disguise the scent of people?  I don't want to tell him how to do his job, I hate people that do that, but I have hinted around and he seems to think it's just the disruption of the normal scenery that is scaring the mink off.  We accidentally caught a skunk in the "kill"...
Thanks.  I hope we both are looking at the light at the end of the tunnel soon!
thanks.
I can try but it is hard to take pictures in our barn, it is kind of dark.  And the trapper has cleared it a bit so that he can put the trap in, so it is bigger than it was.  But...it was about 4 inches by 4 inches.  What makes me sick is...I knew the hole was there...I had it blocked so that only our resident skunk could get in.  I don't like the skunk coming in either but he has been around for years and never has done any harm besides be a pest.  I figured if I didn't...
Update:  the mink avoided the traps last night, which was night number one. I went out to check on the flock at midnight and the mink was in there, I figured out where he went out, and blocked the hole..it was down a drainpipe that he had somehow accessed, and managed to split it to get out.  I turned a radio on and put it on an intermittent timer.  got two hours sleep, back out at 6:45 and all was well, everyone accounted for.  Spent a couple hours out there, decided all...
Thank you.  I didn't have a necropsy done, because it is so expensive here, and the State ag department is not very friendly to backyard chicken owners anymore. She was the only one who had the issue though.  Our flock was fine up until the past couple of weeks.  We have had problems with a mink.  It has killed 8 of our birds since January.  I am beyond numb.  We are working with a trapper and he is doing everything he can. Problems with chicken legs and feet can be very...