Posts by chicknmania

Use DE for worms?  I don't know....Capillary worms bury themselves in lining of the chicken's digestive tract.  That's why they're so hard to get rid of.  They killed several of our nice birds.  Even after we figured out what was wrong and were treating them,  (we used Levamisole and later a dewormer the vet gave us) they still died.  We've tried rotating dewormers to prevent the worms from developing a resistance, and as I said, I was hoping that the cold winter would...
Ours don't like it very much.  I sometimes put other things in their water, so it would be hard to mix.
Chicken Doctor has told me that too, but as he'll tell you himself, he doesn't know everything, and I think I have seen it work, just giving it occasionally.  We give it a couple of times a month, though I'm going to start using it more often.
My son has been taking care of them today and he confirmed that Draco the cockerel has died.    I'll just assume that it was probably the worms, though the last time we had a fecal check we had a negative count on worms, oh yay.  But of course, I didn't do fecal on all of them. We do have straw in our barn though.  And who knows what else he could have swallowed.   That is amusing about the paper plate.  Last fall one of our GC hens snatched a scrap of tinfoil out of my...
Well, too late. : He was lying down when I went out yesterday afternoon, and obviously dying.  I got him out and massaged his crop anyway, hoping it might help.  I felt terrible as this obviously felt good to him, he closed his eyes and relaxed as I was massaging his crop, so I did it for quite a while, but when I went back out a couple of hours later to try it again,  he was in a coma and I knew he was dying. I just hate to see them suffer and am kicking myself for not...
I think she's dying.  I'm having a bad weekend already. chooks 4 life, I think you are right.  I should have kept up with the hypericum.  I talked to a friend who's a poultry expert about this, and he said he agreed with you.
thank you I very much appreciate the advice.  I'm at a loss with these crop issues.  Our hen who had impacted crop last year died.  I'm sure hers was from worms. Hers wasn't as bad as this one's is either.  And today at breakfast he was not doing very well.  I am going out there now to try and massage him.  I'm relieved we don't have to vomit him just yet.   If he has not improved by Monday, I will make arrangement to end his suffering.    I read somewhere that ACV is...
Most of the stuff you need to do, like emptying "vomiting" the crop, I just won't be able to do except maybe tomorrow.  I won't have anyone to help me til then.  It's freezing cold here and my husband's disabled, so he won't help me with this one, though he usually does help with other things.    Would massaging the crop when it's in this state help at all as far as it emptying on it's own??  From what I've learned thus far, probably not?
yes, he's very hungry and thirsty, I've only been giving him a little soft food, bread and oil with some applesauce or yogurt, and plenty of water.  I haven't tried to massage his crop yet, I haven't had time, I have four chickens in hospital care right now for various things, it's insane.    And I have to work too and of course there is life outside of chickens.... Thankfully, one's recovered and she will be going back to the flock tomorrow, most likely. I want to try...
Thanks. Thanks for the info.