Posts by chicknmania

If you warm the saline container first in very warm water so it is more or less your body temperature, the bird will not object as much when you flush her eyes with the saline. It does just sound like your flock has CRD (chronic respiratory disease)  if they are improving with the antibiotic.   It can be a  common thing for chickens to get. Glad that she is doing better.  Also, it's a little far into the game, but something you can get that is a powerful disinfectant is...
Well good luck, I hope Hotlips recovers and best of luck with your flock!  Keep us posted and let us know if you need more help.
Maybe, but our peacocks used to wander some, especially our peacock who was the lesser in the pecking order.   And they are friendly with and hang out with our chickens. I was told by people on BYC that we needed to get peahens to keep them home.  We got two peahens, it did  work as far as keeping the boys home.  Now that they are older (they are 7 years old now) I'm thinking they might be less likely to wander anyway but I'm sure the peahens help. The peahens are a...
Good luck with your mixed family! I hope it works out, and a you can find a peafriend eventually.
If I were you I would still put the flock on the Oxytet for seven to ten days as a precaution. Be aware that there is a withdrawal period before you can eat the eggs again, though.
Is there a breeder anywhere near you that might have day old chicks, or close to that age?  I'm not sure, I would guess that a chick of any species would be ok as a temporary substitute, so day old anything would probably suffice imo, but of course if you could find a young peachieck that would be ideal.....but when this baby grows up it will need a peafowl companion, especially if it is a cock.  Otherwise, it may fly the coop to go look for one.  You can provide a mirror...
If she is declining that fast you might want to consider injectible Tylan for her,, which is also available at feed stores.  I am not sure of the dosage though, but there are others on here, like Castcartpony, that can probably tell you.  Do you have a vet available?  The thing is that with chickens, once they start showing symptoms, you must act very quickly because they are already quite ill at that point.  It's likely she concealed her symptoms until she couldn't...
yes, you can treat the whole flock and probably should.  Oxytet is available at feed stores, it is good for treating the whole flock, because it's water soluble.  I believe the dosage is two teaspoons per gallon.  Chickens don't really get colds like people do but they can get a variety of respiratory illnesses...it sounds like yours might have CRD (Chronic respiratory disease)..but if I were you I'd put her in a hospital pen away from the flock anyway.  Don't totally...
Wait three weeks, then it should be ok.
Well, I do that with broody chickens, too.  But we're talking about peahens....a whole different ballgame. Big powerful birds who weigh a lot more than our chicken  hens.  And who aren't particularly enthralled with people to begin with... I meant wouldn't the peahen know that we are taking her eggs, even at night?  I would think she would.   I feel sorry for them as they keep going over to look at our chicken hen with her four new chicks in a pen....I think the peahens...