Posts by chicknmania

Oh ok.  So what does trub do.  It also did not smell good, like it's supposed to that is the other reason I threw it out.Still haven't heard from anyone re warm or cold?  What does everyone else do?
Well, some of the corn granules were black, and there was a scummy stuff floating on the surface that looked like mold starting.  The mix would breathe when I open it to stir it every day wouldn't it?  It said in what I read that you should keep air out of it.  So I shouldn't use an air tight jar?  Also what do you all do as far as keeping in a cool or warm environment?  How long do you let it ferment before you use it, and how long does it keep? 
I'm having a problem with this.  The first time I made it, I researched it on line as to how to make it and followed the directions.  THAT site said to keep the feed in a one gallon glass jar with a one inch of water to cover.  And let it set four days in a COOL dark place..  I used Flock Raiser for my fermented feed that time, and it came out fine, the chickens liked it.  I kept it in our cool dark basement. The next time, I tried corn.  This did not work well.  Both...
That's funny, we have a pullet that does that too! It's pitiful.
We trimmed her claws but it made no difference, she is walking on her hocks.  I noticed she has a weird black mark on one of her claws on her sore foot that does not look normal.  I wonder if it could be some sort of infection?  There's no redness or inflammation, but...
We had cold ham and cheese sandwiches, chips, and rum/ chocolate dessert fondue.  Which was ok but not as good as it sounds. Last night we had home made pork fried rice.  Night before that was saurkraut soup & baked bread (this doesn't sound great but was actually really good, it was a Frugal Gourmet recipe).  My DH even had leftovers the next day!
If you use Duramycin, use 4 tsp per gallon, not the recommended dose on the bottle.  Duramycin is a weak antibiotic and not always very effective, but better than nothing.  It is not terribly expensive. Oxytet is better.  I mean the stuff isn't cheap, but it does last, and you will need it most likely a few times.  It is worth it to save the life of the bird, you may end up needing it for the whole flock also.   Also...just a word to the wise about lice/ mites.  We have...
If the flock doesn't have a dust bath, you can make one using a kiddie pool or anything.  Use clean top soil and then add DE, a little playsand, your sulfur powder or insectrin or ashes, etc.  You can keep adding stuff over time.  don't go crazy with the insectrin, we only use it when we see there's a need. I discovered our flock doesn't really like the playsand in their bath....they seem to have not been using it as much since we added the sand.
Get some Ivermectin for cattle at the feed store.  Put a drop ( I think it's just a drop, but you might want to double check this on here) between her wings, on her back.  This should quickly kill the lice/ mites and also take care of some worm problems she may have.  My vet has told me you can also inject a small amount of Ivermec in the breast muscle.  I have never tried either , but I have read that this is a quick and effective way to get rid of mites/ lice.  some...
Thanks I hope a pulled muscle is all it is.