Posts by chicknmania

That is pretty good then. See if you can splint the leg. There are ways, in fact I think there are lots of directions on here as to how to do that. Thing is, I don't know if she would ever walk well enough to go back to free ranging, where she has to be able to run, you know....but you could try, it's worth a shot. Still vet is best bet. Try moistening the crumbles with a little applesauce or some oatmeal or maybe a little buttermilk or yogurt...would make it a...
Ouch.  Can you tell if there are internal injuries?  For starters, she needs to be in a warm quiet place, although if you can make it so she can hear and/ or see her friends, I think that is calming to the injured bird.  If she were mine I would just leave her alone for a bit, and let her rest and calm down.  She is probably in shock.  How bad is her beak, do you think it is possible she can eat, or, more importantly, drink?  Do you know for sure her leg is broken?  It is...
I wonder if health food stores would carry it?  I have a hen with suspect bumblefoot but I am just not sure.  She has a bump on her toe, it's not black, but her foot is very sore.  I don't see where it would hurt to try the thieve's oil stuff?
 don't feel bad, I fell for it too!
That is too bad. Please contact the establishment where you got her and let them know. They should replace her. So sorry for your loss, but losses are often unexpected with chickens. Love the others as much as you can!
WEll she's sick, but it is hard to say with what.  You might try calling the place you got the chicks from and see if they have had others that have been sick and if they have any idea what they were sick with..  If you get them from a mill or  one of the many places that sell them, you have to remember they've been through a lot of stress already, especially if the store allows customers to handle them. When they are that small they are hard to treat, too.  What kind of...
We have a rooster who has been battling MS for some time...a few  months.  Currently we are treating him with Lincomycin for the second time, and this time it seems to be doing him some good.  Yes, he has had the classic swollen joints and foot pads, but he started out the same as her...nothing at all to see, really. Just lame. Also his is in his right leg, although for a short time it was in both legs.   Coincidentally, she developed her lameness just a few weeks after...
No the foot joint itself isn't swollen. In fact there doesn't seem to be any swelling in the joints at all. Just a lot of pain, and the weird looking lump or scale or whatever the heck it is. and some heat in the foot. It is her left foot though.
Hi and welcome to BYC.  I guess I would start by catching her, and, with the help of another person, gently pry her beak open and look down her throat and in her mouth with a flashlight.  Pull on her wattles  to open her beak, or just carefully grasp upper and lower mandibles (beak) and carefully open her mouth.  Look for foreigh objects, and also yellowish or whitish lesions in the mouth, or mucous, discoloration, anything unusual.  Lesions can mean that she has canker. ...
I commented in the gallery view that the lump is hard to see, but it looks like an egg shaped scale, about halfway up her leg.