Posts by chicknmania

I don't plan on leaving it on forever, providing I can catch her again once she goes out.  But wouldn't it be like having  a cast on?  Wouldn't it itch underneath?  Sorry for all the questions, but I really worry about her, she's a timid little thing.  I'm  really hoping the saddle will give her confidence around the cockerels.
I wonder if it could be some sort of fungal infection, that itches, and that's why she picks at it?
Does she have it on just the one leg?  Can you post a pic of the whole leg, or ideally, both legs?
But nothing lives forever and really that's the way we have to kind of look at it. Right now we have quite a few elderly (you might say) chickens out there...7,8, 9 years old and still going strong and even laying once in while.  And we've had them since the egg.  So....we count our blessings.  Our sweet peacocks are five years old now, and we love them dearly....we've had them since babies.  Hens are younger but seem ok too.   OK, done ranting.  Zaz, in answer to your...
Guys.  GUYS!!!  Here's the deal, ok?  Yeah, everybody knows you should try to choose birds from MG free flocks, of course.  But MG can crop up in other ways, too. Seriously...we are so blessed to have had what APPEARS to be basically a healthy happy flock for the past 9 years.  Yes, we've had issues, diseases, predators, all kinds of things and I so appreciate everyone's help and support when things crop up, especially for the peas.  But I cannot afford to worry about them...
They're fine, really.  The Denagard is indefinite, it's a preventative.  Levamisole for the dewormer.   They won't have any more Levamisole or Denagard until October.  There were only a few birds in our flock that were sick. The peas were never sick to begin with, with either worms or MG.  These meds are preventatives. 
beekeeping will be interesting.  I think you can get beeswax at most health food stores, but we don't have one real close.
That' s my theory.  funny story in here about a rooster being terrified of his hen when she started wearing her saddle.  He ran away from her and she would run after him, totally confused, lol.  I'm hoping that might happen here.  They have a pattern you can get it's skull and crossbones with a pink bow on the skull .  That's the pattern i'm gonna get Bitsy, lol. 
Yes, I like to hear their different noises.  Or the clucking noise (sounds like us clicking our tongues) when they're begging.  Too funny.
Oh definitely go then.  We always do.  It's a tradition. :)  And we aren't too far, either,.