Posts by chicknmania

I've developed an anti bitter formula of two tbsp of karo syrup or honey, and one tbsp of low sugar orange juice to  a gallon of Denagard medicine water.  They drank that right up, no problem  Seems to almost totally neutralize the bitter taste.  Just fyi. 
Well, that's one way.  I've given medicine to our free range peafowl by soaking bread pieces in it, but that was just one bird. Maybe you could pour some Denagard water in the puddles...
How much sweetener does everyone add?  In the past I was adding 1 TBSP of honey per gallon of water, and they were drinking, but today I started them off on another preventative dose, and I saw two different hens come up, drink, then back away and shake their heads as if to say YUCK!  WHAT'D YOU PUT IN HERE????   So would 2 TBSP of honey or Karo be enough?  I don't want to dump a whole lot of sugar in there.  Or I've read about others using orange juice?  Just curious what...
She's probably fine,  especially if you are already using medicated chick starter I wouldn't think you'd need anything else.  Just watch her for a bit.  But if she's acting normal, I wouldn't lose sleep over it if I were you.
They probably will eventually.  You might have success if you spend some time just letting him range with them, while you supervise.
Whenever he pecks you, or acts aggressive, pick him up firmly, hold him or carry him around for a few minutes, pet him but don't baby him, you know?  this works a lot of times, they learn you are stronger than they are, and maybe they think you're the alpha, I'm guessing that's why it works. He wasn't really attacking you, he was just saying "hey, leave her alone!"  That's what you want him to do, is protect the hens.  It's the same thing he would do to another chicken or...
try putting him in a rabbit cage or pen of some kind, where they can not hurt him but they can see or hear each other\, and maybe socialize a bit through the wire. they can mix later.
Looks like a back burn from a rooster to me.  If you have a rooster, either confine the hen so she gets a break til her feathers grow back out, about three weeks, and/ or get her a  hen saddle, they are very affordable, available on here, and cute, too.   If you don't have a rooster,  if she were mine  would put a few drops of cattle ivermec on her at the base of her neck, or treat her for mites / lice with something similar. And after that make sure the whole flock has...