Posts by chicknmania

Raccoon. And here's a tip.  Don't bury your birds anywhere near the housing for your chickens.  It will attract predators, and cause you more problems.  Many people burn their dead birds.  We don't do that, but we do bury them a considerable distance away.  I don't mean miles, but on the opposite side of the property, anyway. Definitely do the reinforcers, and don't delay.  Consider motion activated lights and/ or sprinklers, too, and maybe a hotwire.  Whatever killed your...
Cute picture.
That's strange, I've never had that experience where the others attack the broody while she's on the nest or when she gets off to get food and water..  We've had them try to eat the eggs when she's not on the nest, but never have I seen them bother the hen..  But yes, I would as a matter of course put the mother and babies in a pen to themselves, where they can socialize with the others, but the babies are protected, for the first five or six weeks.  Because the others...
OK, we know the story...but here's Mt Healthy's video too.  Thought it was interesting that he points out there are only some breeds you can feather sex...?  Anyway, we've gotten quite a  few birds from Mt Healthy...over the years....and they were healthy, lol.   Seems they handle theirs with a bit more gentleness..   ▶ 2:57 www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkZpXgxmvFQ Similar
I've also noticed that if the babies are pullets, or mixed sexes with mostly pullets, the hen will stay with them longer than she does with cockerel chicks.
Oh, yeah, at 6 weeks she's done with them.  Some broodies stay with their chicks longer, but it just depends on the hen.  They're fine at that age.  It sounded like they were younger.
Well, it's a treatment for all parasites, so you have to watch it too, if you've recently dewormed your birds with something else. Someone told me there's Ivermectin gel...seems like that would work well, but I can't find it locally.
Oh, my! X2!
Is she letting them stay under her at night?  If it's going to be sub zero and they are newly hatched, you might want to consider bringing them inside.  they do need help staying warm, until they get fully feathered.  That is, if you can catch them1
Yeah, what a sucky life.  They are hatched in a machine, thrown around, then go spend their lives in a cage laying eggs for eighteen months, then they're slaughtered.    Ours don't know how good they have it.