Posts by chicknmania

They don't need artificial heat in order to survive, with the possible exception of it being very cold, or if there is only one or two chicks.  We've had chicks go without heat many times when it was only 40 degrees at night, and never had one die from the cold.  Ever.  As long as they have something to cuddle up with and under, they're fine.  A bird's body heat is a lot hotter than humans, and freathers or not, they keep each other warm.
they will be fine as long as they have each other.  Get them one of those stuffed chickens you can buy at TSCfor them  to cuddle under at night (that's what we've done before for orphans)...or any stuffed animal really will do.  You can keep the light on them during the day, when you're home if you need to, but it's not necessary at night.  They won't die, believe me.  We had chicks once live through a brutal below zero cold winter, and they were little.  they had their...
Oh, no, that's so sad!  So sorry for your loss.  But really, when you think about it, that's a better way to go than slowly dying.   That is why I haven't let Bitsy out yet.  She's in the tractor during the day still with Bluebell, our lame hen who's hopefully slowly recovering from a very bad case of SLMs.  So they have each other and it seems to help, but the roosters can't get in there. Bitsy wants out very much, and I'm tempted to let her, but I just want to watch her...
The spread of the H5 viruses has been unprecedented, and our goal is to protect the health of small, backyard poultry flocks as much as our commercial industry from this disease.” Dr Marsh explained that BOAH plans to open a public comment opportunity in June to receive input from poultry owners and others about strategies to reopen public shows and sales. “We are looking for ways to restore our public bird events in a way that will reduce or eliminate opportunities for...
That's good.  But from everything I've learned, AI kills quickly throughout the flock.  I think you would know for sure by now.
If I were you, I'd just monitor the situation for a couple of weeks, and see how it goes.  And if there's no more outbreaks I'd probably go ahead with my summer plans to get the ducks.  If's just one of those things you have to take a chance on.  When you think about it, you take a chance every time acquire an animal, no matter what it is. 
You can go to the feed mill and Rooster Booster sells a Triple Dewormer product that is very good.  There's another company that makes a product called Strike that is the same thing, TSC sells it.  These are pelletized feeds that you mix with regular feed and they are excellent dewormers and there's no withdrawal time either.  Look for those.  The only problem with them is that some birds don't like pelletized products.  These pellets are very hard and some of our birds...
Have you ever dewormed them?  Do you have a vet you could have do a fecal test on them for parasites?  If you don't, and you have never dewormed them, I would start by doing that. And you're right...asap.  Use a broad spectrum dewormer, not just for roundworms.
That seems to be the case, that they won't get sick...but some flocks have had dead ducks..or...for some reason they were suspected, and culled.  Look at USDA's website, and you will see that there was at least one backyard flock of ducks that were culled, and several mixed flocks.  If you're in the target range, ie, within a certain number of miles of an infected commercial farm, the USDA will come looking for you, and test your flock.  If they test positive, the USDA...
WE drained her for the second time this past Saturday but it was very difficult, because it seemed there were pockets of air interspersed with the big pockets of fluid.  We took a LOT of fluid out.  I am not very optimistic.  Pockets of air or gas...not sure why that would be.  She's hanging in there right now, and acting fairly normal..but I fear her days are numbered.   I still have her in the tractor during the day, but she's in there with her friend Bluebell, who is...