Posts by dsc6

I grew French sorrel this summer and the chickens destroyed it, they loved it so much.  One of the other things they love is something I always thought was clover--with a little yellow flower.  Imagine my surprise to discover that what I thought was their beloved clover is actually a sorrel, wood sorrel or wild sorrel or something.  What I learned is that chickens love sorrel!!
I know this thread is old, but, seeing how it developed, I have 2 comments:1.  No judgement please, people.  I went to this thread because I need to know how to humanely kill a very sick chicken.  Not every creature is able to die a peaceful natural death.  I withdrew life support from my terminally ill and suffering mother.  Humanely.  2.  The problem with letting one'e 87 year-old father drive is not the injury he may do himself, it is the people in the other cars that...
I use dishes from my kitchen to feed my chickens.  A recent visitor thought this was very unsanitary and unsafe.  I disagreed.  What do you all do/think?  I usually wash them in the dishwasher, but not all the time.
I have 7 hens, born last spring.  They had slowed down their laying when it got really cold. 2-3 a day--mostly from my work-horse BOs.  Well, last week we gave the chickens some leftover white rice and got 7 eggs the next day.   We gave them more rice over the next few days and they are laying 7-8 eggs/day.  We also just began feeding them more, so I wondered if it could be the extra calories, but no, we tested it and I'll be danged if it's not the rice.  Now they get...
It is very likely that her school has a purchase agreement with one or another company .  You can get good deals that way.  My kids' schools both use Lenovo, think ThinkPad.  Good quality Good deal.
I did alot for the chickens today:  I finally installed the adult size and height and length roost.  They didn't know what to do with all the room and ended up in 2 tight little groups on either end, lol. (Went from 2 short ones to one long one).  I added poop tables under the new roost.  I took out one nest box they weren't using and fixed up the 2 I want them to use. Right now they lay in a corner on the floor of the henhouse.  I added a dust bath bin and filled it with...
First of all, ON, I love your sig line.  "All is the prey of life."  About Christmas.  It is an incredibly difficult time of year for me as I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder.  I find it extremely stressful that  the family looks to me to meet their varied needs regarding this holiday.  I am a widow, and would, in an ideal world, take a cruise to the Carribean over Christmas.  My oldest daughter (20 yo) loves every holiday and really needs them all to be 'done up'....
Moabite,I think you got it wrong....I think the KFC was FOR the chickens and you'd be lucky if they shared with YOU.....Just sayin'
The 300% increase in protein in sprouted grains/seeds seems less exagerated when you think about the itsy-bitsy amounts you are talking about in the unsprouted grain/seed.  So even a 300% increase wouldn't account for much.  That being said, it's not esoteric knowledge and is easily tested.  But it depends on some variable factors, like how far along into the sprouting process the testing was done.  Consider a radish seed--compare that image to a 2 inch inch long radish...