Posts by greenhorn

Have you candled the egg recently?
Woke up this morning at 5 am and heard peeps so I went to bed. When i got out of bed at 8 am there was only one chick. Now there are 4 and I see lots of piping going on. It's day 21 and we had a delay. Running these bators the same as we were for our Dorking chicks last spring and they always hatched at day 21. I'm guessing these chicks are just going to be early hatchers. Any thoughts?   Anyway glad to see chicks hatching after all that work and electricity. These...
 Thank you sourland.
We lost power for 11 hours and the incubators were down the entire time, in the house and the house got down to 67 degrees. Outside it got cold and chicks that hatched Saturday night / Sunday morning were out in the garage and i was sure they died from exposure. I couldn't bring myself to go look so I decided to go look around and see how much wind damage there actually was to try and get a guess when the power would come back on. Before we got home the kids called us and...
I get an egg almost every day from my hens that are just now a tad over 1 yr old. Don't have enough experience with different colors other than black and white, Have 1 SG hen so my input there isn't any good. My blacks are excellent eggs layers, eggs aren't as white as the white birds produce. Don't really notice that one color lays better than the other...
  My black Dorkings are usually right on time but it seems most of the whites have been taking an extra day but not all of them....
I would say, most definitely, we feed our chickens fermented grains, fodder, scratch, table scraps, their predators (sometimes), dry bag feed, egg shell etc. They love a well rounded diet. We are working on raising crickets and are also working on the solar lights over a bun pan filled with water. I guess the light attracts the insects and a bunch drown in the water every night. They say first thing the birds do when let out is run straight for the bun pan to eat the...
You are correct to be careful with soy. But as stated once germinated it's a different animal but I don't plan on feeding many soy sprouts to our birds. We ferment our soy meal with cracked corn, oats and wheat. Fermenting also changes the soy into a nutritional feed without the anti-nutritional factors that are associated with raw soy. There is a thread about feeding meat birds fermented feed but i't's good for all chickens. We also feed out meaties fodder but we feed...
Been planting organic non GMO Soybeans and lentils and other grains and pseudo grains to make fodder with. First time we've done anything like this, always planted veggies though. This autumn we plan to plant wheat, barley, rye and spelt. All organic non GMO of course, already have the seed.   Also planted a bunch of other goodies for the chickens too but that's kind of off topic. Before we knew about fodder planting grains for the critters seemed useless with the...
If i catch them in the shorter live trap they can't raise their tail. Either way I shoot the stinky things right in the trap if they spray i just hose the trap off from a distance. I let the trap dry and let the stink die down before i go near it.   I don't catch and release....   Use rubber gloves and don't let the trap touch your clothes.   When i see them in the yard I shoot them with the 12 gauge and steel shot. Steel shot works best cause it don't drop...