Posts by rebrascora

Hi   How old is she, what breed and when is the last time you can be sure she laid an egg....I appreciate this is difficult if you have all the same breed. I agree with Wyorp Rock, feel her abdomen again and compare to your other hens. This is easiest at night when they are roosting. If she is walking strangely, it is usually because there is a mass pushing her legs apart. This can be due to fluid build up (ascites), internal laying or a tumour. She would not be pooping...
I have had some success when mine have had respiratory problems in using eucalyptus oil to help open their airways. Vet RX is a product specifically for poultry but not something that you would necessarily have on hand to use immediately, so eucalyptus or menthol vapour may help until you can get a veterinary product. Placing her in a warm dark draught free place but with plenty of ventilation will keep her comfortable and stress free, which will help. Holding and petting...
I'm so sorry to hear Sophie didn't make it and I do understand your comment about learning both about chicken care and yourself. There is a lot of soul searching involved in these situations, especially when they don't have a happy ending. I currently have another bird with Marek's and it is getting close to needing to make that difficult decision. She is nearly 2 and this is her second attack and I'm getting rather more experienced with this scenario than I would like. It...
I would say A and C are female. B is male. D looks to have a white head spot but when you look closely at the photos, it appears to possibly be a semi bald spot where fluff has perhaps been pecked off rather than a definite white spot indicating a male. I would image that it is easier to assess this potential semi bald spot in person than via a photo. What does it look like to you?   I should say that it's a while since I had any Cream Legbar chicks, so I'm no...
It is one of the biggest killers of chicks, so there is certainly a risk, yes. Coccidia are a protozoa parasite which exist in the ground pretty much everywhere. Older chickens develop a natural immunity to it which is why there is no medication in layer feed, but chicks are particularly vulnerable. That's why medicated chick feed is so widely available. For your information, the medication is not an antibiotic or anything like that. It is usually a thiamine(vitamin...
Hi Sorry to butt in but just wanted to clarify that medicated feed contains an anti coccidiostat which is there to help prevent coccidiosis. It has nothing to do with Marek's, so having them vaccinated for Mareck's will not stop them getting coccidiosis, and therefore using medicated feed may be necessary or at least recommended. Some hatcheries I believe, do offer a vaccination for coccidiosis as well, but I'm not sure if it is effective against all strains, so medicated...
Hi I'm sorry if my comments came across as harsh or offensive. It was not intended.   @LynzT   I was trying to explain how you might use the forum more efficiently both as regards posting all your chick ID queries on the same thread. That enables people replying to see that the development of the chick over a series of photos as it gets older, which can help with identifying it and also enable people to see that they have already commented on that chick and not spend...
My bet is on rats. I'm having a real problem with this right now and I know it is rats, I've seen them. I'm also having a problem with Jackdaws coming during the day for eggs, so I'm fighting a losing battle on both fronts. Thankfully I know my girls well enough not to blame them, although I did have a moment of hesitation when it first started. I've now set traps for the jackdaws and rats, but they aren't stupid and after you catch one or two the others get wise, so it's...
How much scratch are you giving them? I would cut back on that altogether for a week or two to see if it helps. If they are eating scratch, they are eating less layer feed which has a higher calcium level, so essentially the scratch grains are diluting their calcium intake. You could try throwing crushed egg shells into the run and mixing some crumbles with milk or yoghurt or cottage cheese to increase calcium intake. It's not good to feed to much dairy though, so don't...
Hi   As with all animals, each is an individual and any replies to your question will only give you an idea of what you might expect. Buff Orps can go broody, so a yearly figure can vary enormously if you get a broody one, because she will be out of production for months raising chicks and then you can expect to lose a couple of months production after their first year for moult, so annual figures just don't make any sense in my opinion. I would say 5-6 eggs a week is...