Posts by rebrascora

That doesn't look like roundworm to me, but you can't see it in as much detail as I would like. I would be interested to know what @casportpony makes of it.
Have you given her a calcium supplement too...something like a 1/4 of a "Tums" tablet? It will help her to expel the egg if that is indeed the problem.
Yes, I know what you mean, especially about your state of mind, having an influence on how you perceive something you read, but also on how you word things yourself. I edit and reedit on a bad day before I click "submit" and still occasionally don't convey the right tone.
Can you post a photo of the worms you saw? As I understood it, worms could not be passed through the egg from mother to chicks, especially newly hatched chicks, so I'm keen to learn more and improve my knowledge.
@bobbi-j Yes indeed you are right, although misunderstandings can also occur through spoken word via telephone or in person too of course. I thought it was very odd that people whose opinion I greatly respect were not even mentioning broodiness as a possible explanation, when it seemed so likely to me.
Thanks for the clarification.  So you moved the box with her nest in it and she was running back and forth between it and the location it had been in. If she is not laying eggs but wanting to sleep in the location where her nest was, then to me, that suggests she is broody. What have you done with her?.... Left her to her own devices or put her in the coop and if so has she gone back to roosting or is she sleeping in a nest box or frantically pacing to be out?    Do you...
I bought some pekins (Bantam cochins) last year and they are reliably broody but lay surprisingly well when they aren't incubating and raising chicks. They are lovely birds that cope well with confinement. We have had bird flu restrictions here in the UK since early December and I normally free range, so they have been reduced to very limited space and have coped with it exceptionally well unlike some of my other birds.   I prefer a mixed self sustaining flock. I like to...
If she is still laying eggs then she is not broody. Wait until she stops laying eggs and stays on the nest day and night for 2-3 days before you order your hatching eggs, unless you have an incubator to fall back on.
You need to update your profile page with that location info. then it will be displayed every time you post, underneath your username. It helps others to give appropriate advice if they can se where you are in the world.   If you hover the cursor over your username on the left hand side of your post, you will get options, click the "View Profile" option and at the top of the profile page you will get an option that says "Edit Community Profile" If you click on that, you...
Agree with the others. You need to be tough and stop the treats altogether and scratch is one of their favourite treats. As the others have said they will eat it first and then not eat their proper ration. If they are free ranging then they don't need the veggie treats. Meat scraps are actually beneficial....chickens are omnivores like us and like meat and fish as well as insects, grains and vegetation. Part of the problem at the moment is that there is not enough protein...