Posts by rebrascora

Let's hope all four are laying soon.
....trepidation!
@Yorkshire Coop   Hi Kim   I get them at "The Feed Warehouse" which is my local feed store. They come in different colours....red blue and green I think. I have the red ones and I just buy a big box of them and nail a couple to a lath and put them in places that the rats run but the chickens can't get to. I have some plywood boards leaning up against a wall and there is a gap at the bottom so I can put the lath in there and it's out of the way of the chickens. The rats...
That is brill news! Congratulations so far. Hope it continues to go well.
Yes, I started losing eggs to rats a few weeks ago. Never had that problem before! As well as stealing the odd one out of the nest boxes, they ate away the side of an egg carton on the bench in the feed room and stole an egg out of there too. I have a favourite conventional rat trap that I bait with pieces of carrot and peanut butter. The older ones are too wiley but I usually catch a few mid grown ones with that and then they get wise, so I have to resort to poison. I...
Oh Wow! Delighted they have survived to hatch.  I would be careful about checking too often as the membrane can dry out and shrink wrap them if you keep lifting the broody off to look. That said, my last hatch, I assisted one of the chicks to hatch as it was making no progress after pipping. I've always been very wary of interfering and although I got the chick out alive I felt uncomfortable about helping it and didn't assist any of the others. Sadly it was the wrong...
I watched flocks of geese migrating north overhead this afternoon and wondered if any of them might be carrying it. Thankfully they were high up but will no doubt be coming down to rest somewhere north of me tonight, Northumberland or the Scottish borders perhaps. It's so sad to be worried and suspicious of every wild bird you see instead of being able to watch and wonder at how amazing they are. 
@PaulaMc   Well done for getting back to work. Hope it goes as smoothly as possible and everyone is supportive and the chucks don't get up to too much mischief whilst you are not there!   @timon   Is it really still another 6 weeks!! I will be bald by then (with tearing my hair out) and so will my chickens! Hopefully my poly tunnel will ease things a bit as soon as I get it finished but I'm having to spend most of my spare time trying to sort my car out as MOT is due...
@aart What a wonderful analogy! Not heard it before...Is it your own original?....It does describe the first year rather appropriately and the mental image it conjures up is rather funny. 
Hi and welcme   It would help to know where in the world you are based? Conditions and predators vary so much from country to country, so it would probably help to get advice from local people who face the same challenges as you will. It really helps if you fill in your location on the profile page so that people can see at a glance where you are each time you post. I'm going to guess that you are in Europe since you mention that it will be in your garden rather than...