Posts by Peeps61

Yea!!  Glad to hear he grew into his crow :-).  When mine started crowing, he sounded like a teenager whose voice was still squeaking!  Both of them have full crows now!
I have a mixed flock with several different types of birds.  I have one sex link - a black star and she gets along great with all of the other birds.  I've found my Buff Orphingtons to be friendly, along with my Easter Eggers.  My Rhode Island Reds can be aggressive, so I would not recommend too many of those, although they are great egg layers!  I also have some Barnvelders that are very docile, and some leghorns - the white leghorn is very peaceful, but the brown...
As a dog owner AND a chicken keeper, I can say that I occasionally lose a bird to predators and once in a great while to my dogs if it flies into the back yard with them.  The smarter chickens don't do that as a result!   However, if a stray was on my property and I couldn't chase it away from my birds, or it looked as if it were going to attack me, then yes, I would have shot the dog.  I DO carry a pistol when I go out to lock my birds up as we have a very active coyote...
Sex links can be more aggressive than the other "purer" breeds.  I think the duck being separated caused it to become a non-member of the flock.  You say you can't separate them, but I've found, from experience, that it's always good to have an alternative when it comes to penning my flock up.  If you have an area where you can set up some temporary fencing and shelter for the sex links, that's where I would put them and separate them out from the rest of the flock.  They...
Yes, those steering wheels make great roosts, much to my husband's displeasure!  He finally moved his tractor away from the coop because the girls liked to get on the steering wheel and rest during the day.  Unfortunately, they also pooped there are well!
If he is a true Americauna, he may not get a big, splendid rooster's tail.  Some breeds don't, and those guys are one of the breeds.  My polish, on the other hand, had a beautiful rooster's tail until a predator pulled most of his feathers out chasing him!  At least it saved his life, even though he looked a bit funny afterwards.
Two cockerels.  Both pretty!  Keep the "nice" one.  My EE rooster was really mean - I learned my lesson on how to raise them!  The two I have now are cross breed cockerels and both are good boys so far.  I don't handle them or bother them and they don't bother me and are fairly good to the girls for roosters as young as they are.  Hopefully, all will remain well!
So far, so good with my two mixed breed cockerels.  Their father was calm as well, but my first cockerel was Satan!  He was an EE rooster, and he was very aggressive from about 12 weeks on.  A predator got him and I tried a different tack with my second rooster.  I took a hands off approach with him, so that he had a natural fear of me.  I left him alone and he left me alone.  I also took care to move carefully among the hens and not to look as if I were a threat to them...
EE and Americauna  roos are a bit slower to mature.  I have two white leghorn and polish crosses that were hatched the first part of July of last year.  They've been dancing and mating the hens for a good 3 to 4 months now.  He'll mature eventually.  Good advice from the other poster.
A small, abandoned kitten took up with my flock in late summer this  year.  She was young and hungry and was side by side with the chickens eating the feed with them.  She would run when she saw me, but soon got used to me bringing the food and hung around.  She would play tag with my younger pullets and would hand out with the chickens during the day.  I'll have to catch her soon and have her spayed or she'll present me with some kittens as we have plenty of feral toms...