Posts by Chris09

Birds that are from breeders, bred to the breed standard and not for a mass amount of eggs are much bigger, meatier birds and have a different feather structure than the same "breed" sold by hatcheries. The breeder birds needs and can use the extra protein for proper growth, size, and feather quality.    Chris
You should be fine in a 18% (if you can still get) and it will save you some money in the long run.    Chris
If you got them from a hatchery 18% protein if fine for the Orps, Dominique and Rocks. If the Orps, Dominique and Rocks are from a breeder 18% protein would be a minimum amount I would feed. (I would feed closer to a 20 to 22%  protein if they are from a breeder)   Chris
    How long have you owned and raised chickens? (I have seen hens on the roost and in a show pen peck at each other for no reason other than boredom)        I will agree that a deficiency in protein or more so a lack of animal proteins in there diet will cause feather pecking. (I will also add that the breed and type of fowl also makes a big difference also, some breeds can be raised on a lower protein diet than others as long as it is a feed that contains animal...
A chicken pecking at the ground or at another chicken can be for a number of reasons, Chicken peck at the ground for grit, boredom etc. Chickens pecking at each other can be for a number of reasons also, boredom, mite, lice, dominance etc.   I have had chickens for 40+ years and showed them for 30+ years, I'm not a back yard chicken raiser.     Chris
With out the studies word mean nothing.  I know Lazy J specializes in poultry nutrition and works for/with Hubbard Feed maybe he can/will jump in and post his thoughts also.       For? Most of the "average people" still believe that corn will make the poultry "hot".   Chris
        I will also add that the numbers here are at the very low end of the "protein scale" for poultry. On the average a laying/breeding fowl should be on a 18 to 20 percent protein feed at least. (18% for laying/breeding hens (at least) and 20% for laying/breading waterfowl and turkeys) A 16% feed for chickens and 18% feed for waterfowl and turkeys is nothing more than a grower/ conditioner feed.   Chris
Do you have the studies to back your post. If so post them, keep in mind that there are a few people on here with a degree in livestock nutrition so they will need to be good reliable studies.   Chris
    Chicken eat to fill there energy needs, when that need is met they stop eating. They do not eat to fill other need like Calcium, Proteins, Fats or anything else.       I will also add that your numbers here are at the very low end of the "protein scale" for poultry. On the average a laying/breeding fowl should be on a 18 to 20 percent protein feed at least. (18% for laying/breeding hens (at least) and 20% for laying/breading waterfowl and turkeys) A 16% feed for...
    Who ever told you this knows nothing about chickens and how a medicated chick feed works.   Starter --A balanced feed meant as the sole ration for chicks from hatching to twelve weeks of age.At 12 weeks of age the birds can be changed to Grower or Developer. Starter can be Medicated or Non-Medicated when Medicated it is with either Amprolium or Lasalocid. Starter is available in Mash, Crumble or Pellet form.     Amprolium - which goes by the trade names Corid and...