Posts by SueT

You can watch it on Youtube, full length, but it's not full screen... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_3iyeYbPDE
Well, I don't know if anyone is still  following this story, but just in case, the SS pullet laid her first egg today!  Hers is the little one.  Interestingly, the BR pullet's eggs have all been fairly large, even her first.   The BA hen's eggs are biggest, and often have 2 pointy ends. Now we only await the RIR hen to start laying again....
The best way to get a hen that is friendly to you is to get a baby chick and raise it yourself...then it will be imprinted on you...You can get it used to all the above as it grows up. If you treat it as an intelligent being, it will respond as such...
What a great idea!   I love it!   Did SLCC come up with this, or did you propose it to them?   
...yes, I think she has some kind of issue, or maybe it's a gift.    She has also been known to lay weird eggs, like this one last week with 2 pointed ends...
Well, we have 4 nest boxes made out of fruit crates, 2 above, 2 below,  the boxes are only about a foot tall.  We had 2 other hens (lost to predators when they were free range) and everyone else has always used these boxes  without issue.   The BA, on the left, is our smallest chicken.   I'm thinking your theory that she just isn't feeling things correctly might be right.   
My BA hen, who will be 2yrs this spring, has for seversl months been laying outside even tho she always sits in the nest box first. I have been trying to catch her in the act so i can better understand what is going on. One forum described a hen who regularly sat on the egg long enough for it to adhere to her rump feathers as it dried and the egg eventually would fall somewhere else. .I was thinking that might be the BA's issue. But today, i finally witnessed the event....
Yes Black Rosecombs  are considered a true bantam.  btw, he isn't mine,   i took the pic at the fair.    It's a breed I'd like to have in the future.   There are forums discussing this breed, and most likely any others you are interested in.....good luck, and let us know what you get!
Hi ...try putting your question in the "incubating and hatching eggs" forum so you can get advice right away....btw welcome to BYC.   
Black rosecomb bantam