Posts by Suzie

So..now you have some knowledge about what you may need as a solution...you will probably be better informed than the Vet... I trust all will go well for you and your boy...let us know how things are after your visit...are you taking your cockerel with you ?
It will depend upon how the situation is...you can by all means leave it for another day...the yolk should be fully absorbed by the morning... if the chick is distressed now it would be advisable to go ahead and separate the shell... the chick needs to act normally as soon as possible..getting up and moving around will give it the best chance of survival. 
The rat runs are fairly close to the chicken, duck and geese housing...I have found a lot of dead rats in the vicinity of the housing...probably because there is a food source there for them....my geese and ducks ignore any dying rats...however, my chickens will ( if given the opportunity )  peck at a carcass... it is an ongoing problem...   I have five GSD's here and the three young ones will attempt to eat anything dying or rotting here...I am ever vigilant and...
I have to agree... if a dog ingests a rat...the contents of the stomach of the rat being full...of rat poison....it will kill a dog...this is information I have had from a Vet...! I use poison here...the rat holes are deep and the poison is put into the holes and covered with rocks...the rats will usually die within a few days...I will always clear any dead rat carcass immediately I see any... I do not want my dogs, chickens or any of my other animals to be at risk..rats...
We all learn by what confronts us..   I tried this with chicks that hatched with shell attached and I had no idea if what I was doing would benefit them but I felt I had to do something...it may be a good idea to put a towel into the microwave to heat it up a little before you bring the chick out of warm water... it helps to keep them warm instantly...if you do this please make sure that the towel is not HOT before you wrap the chick up in it...   Keep us informed of...
If you are willing to try...this has happened with some of mine..   I will risk breaking as much shell as I can from what is stuck to the chick and then I get some very warm water and put the chick with the stuck shell into the water...it can take some 20 minutes or so for the shell to release...I gently ease the stuck shell and if necessary will use some cornstarch to stop any free flowing blood...the chick must be kept very warm but in my experience they have all...
Normally any Vet will prescribe it... you just need to explain that the need is for a chicken...they should give you instructions as to how much powder to put into the drinking water...do ask the receptionist if you need to speak directly to a Vet before the can prescribe it,should not be a problem.
I am overwhelmed... thank you so much to whoever voted for me....sincerely I do feel honoured!   Congratulations to all of the awardees!   I would like to take this opportunity to ask for a 1 minute of silence for "Dave Leghorn"... so brutally murdered...may his perpetrators be brought to justice.....laughed until I cried!!!!   I will try to live up to the kind faith you have in me...thanks once again!   Mad Suzie....
Ask your Vet for oxytetracycline.... it will deal with coryza... you may not need an appointment...just ask the receptionist at your local Veterinary Surgery if you can obtain some without having to take a chicken to the surgery....it usually comes in a powder form that you can put into their drinking water....be aware that you will need to change the water every day.   I am English and we can buy it here in France without a prescription but we do have to ask for it...
Thanks for the update...you have a good Vet!   Hopefully all of your flock will get well very soon...keep us updated on their progress.   Good luck!