Posts by adlynch

Thanks for the info! I guess I never really thought about them hanging out with their age group as humans would. Makes sense! I'm off all day Thursday so I'm gonna let everyone out and see what happens!
Hmmm, I guess i was just hoping they would be one happy family My fear is that if i let everyone out, the young ones may be intimidated by the older hens and wouldnt come back in the coop at night.
I have 9 1year old hens and a 6month old rooster that I am trying to merge with 8 3month old chicks. They have been in the same coop (but separated by chicken wire) since the chicks were just days old. The older birds usually free range all day but I have kept them in and opened the coop divider 2 days ago but they are still segregating themselves. They really don't pay each other much attention, but I can tell the younger ones are leary of the older birds. Any advice?...
I really don't think anyone here is attacking you. You asked for advice and it was given. More than one person has stated that it could possibly be from stress, and that sometimes ducklings don't thrive when they are on their own. As also stated above, it is almost impossible to know without running tests on all ducklings. Two weeks ago I had 1 of 8, one day old ducklings to pass. It's heartbreaking, but not all ducklings survive. There is not anything or anyone to...
Clearly you took my post the wrong way. Fully aware that it is not your choice, but your teachers choice. I was only hoping you could educate your teacher about ducks. It could have been that the ducklings were just stressed over the whole situation. Good luck, and hopefully someone else will have the answer you are looking for...
Ducks imprint by instinct, not choice. Ducks are social and should always be with at least 1 other duck. I'm sure this is not the reason they did not make it, but for future experiments PLEASE get at least 2 ducks per household.
The duckling did not make it, we buried her out by the blueberry patch. Thanks so much for your response.
I just brought home 8 ducklings and one was unresponsive. The others were trampling he/she so i removed from others put under heat at around 90-95°, gave a little nutri-drench with syringe, and in and out of sleep will drink water with electrolyte in it. Any advice? I know sometimes they are just weak, but would really appreciate some advice
I'm no help, but curious to see what you come up with. I have a chick with no wing feathers. This is a photo from about a week and a half ago. It's hard to get an updated pic because she is not super social like her sisters. They are about 2 1/2 weeks old now and she seems to be doing fine... just still no feathers. I've had a few people tell me she may be a HE! Anyway, just curious to see responses to your post since it's only on one side! Good Luck!
So, just an update: The chicks were 2 weeks old on Monday. She still has no wing/tale feathers. She seems to eat and drink like normal. She will eat out of my hand , but is not as social as my other girls, they will hop up on my arm and hang out. If I try to pick her up she throws a fit, Flapping all around and chirping really loud. She'll run around and play, and then go sleep in the corner when she gets tired. I can't get a decent updated picture because she won't...