Posts by centrarchid

I will see if I can replicate without using screws.
Shooting them will be impractical in most instances. When I get startling issues I switch over to feeding chickens restricted rations where the chickens consume all the feed within a few minutes leaving little or nothing for starlings. Restriction ration approach does compromise egg production and growth of young birds, at least when feed applied only once per day. Demand / treadle feeder might be worth exploring.
Roost pole is nice as round. Are you using something to keep it from popping out of grooves on ends? Possibly keeping ends compressed? My preferred roost post are 1" dowels but they cost a lot more than similar sized straight-edged material that also comes in longer lengths.
This is an old one but you are lurking about so I will attempt to provide appropriate answer. A hen imprints on a nest site, rather than the eggs, at least initially. This ensures hen places her eggs in one location needed for successful incubation of a clutch by one hen. That means she goes back to the same location each day to deposit an egg. The imprinting on location is also important for incubation, if not on based on site she might settle anywhere to incubate...
He could have got down with worms or some other ailment. Once weakened, stags could have challenged and beat him down with minimal effort.
The other thread of current interest looks to me to be the result of someone getting at least one game. Then either it had health issues degrading its ability to fight, or other combatant(s) not shown. Fun sleuthing to be sure. Either way the current owner hit a wall.
Going over entire thread and seeing no damage to young males, I am inclined to conclude that the old bird had a health issue contributing to his demise, or other combatant not shown.
Some of the hens consistent with brown leghorns and at least one of your cockerels does not look right for a game. You are likely to be OK in that you are not dealing with a pure game flock. Hybrids not as bad generally. Rooster lost does have the modifications and general look of a pure game. Stag on tie cord appears heterozygous for pea comb. Pea comb allele more likely to come from game. Otherwise your setup is stellar for keeping two roosters. Even if straight...
Breeding group for chickens is usually a trio, one male and two females. Sometimes only a pair for single mating. Based on appearance of stag / cockerel on the tie cord and my understanding he is one of the offspring of the rooster beat, the hen is also a game so you have at least a pair in the breeding group.
Could you show a picture of the coops? If you have several birds divided into two groups, then you may have a space issue as well.