Posts by gallorojo

I know Jim has done a lot of work in getting rid of the white in the tails and wings. The ones I've had recently haven't had any white. That being said, the original birds I started with, which were second hand Zook birds, all had white in the wings or tail by 2 years old. All of them. Most had white in the tail by 6 months old. This is one reason I've not shown them, all the ones without white came from Jim, and I won't show those. The ones I breed always have white by...
Excellent additional comments regarding the standard, Saladin, thanks!!   Here is a picture from this week of the father to the blue project youngsters I posted earlier.  He's a Zook bird, he looks a bit pale because he's spent all spring in the barn in a breeding pen.     
Good looking bantams 4h Mom!! You can really see the difference in those 2 lines.
Although birds are not generally weighed anymore, a good judge will still disqualify a grossly over or underweight bird. The deal with the weight is that the standard spells out an ideal weight, but allows a 20 percent range over and under that as acceptable. Any bird can vary based on condition, age, etc, so the weights were never meant to be exactly fixed. A 6 pound cock is IDEAL, but, anything within 4.8 up to 7.2 is acceptable and within the standard. There are...
Those chicks look pretty decent thus far.
The blues I have are Andalusian blues. Felix had originally asked which blue breed was crossed in to make them, and I honestly answered " none", as the blue came from blue red Cubas. I am not going to explain further how they were made as I got them from Troyer, he started them and has been working on them longer than me. Obviously there were solid blacks in the ancestry in order to get them solid blue.
Solids blues cannot come from blue reds. These started from gold laced crossed with dark/ triple laced, that cross gives you some basically black pullets, believe it or not. Cross those pullets with a blue red, and you get a 1/2 of the pullets solid blue. Since then they have been crossed to black and bb red Cubalayas. Hopefully it makes sense when I say there was never a blue breed crossed in to make these...
You are right of course! I guess I will add this line of blues didn't start by an outcross to a blue or a black breed at all. They have had black Cubalayas bred in recently , but there were solid blue females before ever using a blue or a black breed. They were more the result of a happy accident originally rather than any plan to make blue Cubas, although its sort of become that by now.
The blue actually came from blue red Cubalayas. You don't have to go outside the breed to get blue, but to get blacks, you have to get some someone else made , or make your own. These have a lot of other breeds mixed in there in small percentages, but, I will say they have NO Sumatra blood at all.Both pullets have very nice permanently low tails. Both have good heads overall, but, both have cushion combs, and single spurs. The cockerel does have a pea comb. The black...
    Advertisement from 1999 Poultry Press for Castagnetti Cubalayas. Thanks to Saladin for sending me the picture. I would have posted it earlier except I could not figure out how to get photobucket to work!!