Posts by Mrs. K

5 meters x 6 meters will give you plenty of space for a fair amount of chickens. It is better to start with a few, get some experience, add a few more. For the best egg laying, one should have a multi- generational flock, with some being culled going into their 3rd year, and some being added each year.   Go to the coops tab at the top of the page, some excellent coops and directions for building them. I am in strong favor of a shed that you can walk into, verse the...
I really tried the black rubber idea two winters ago. These were my findings. Above 20 degrees on full sunshine days, with a sufficient mass of water, 2 gallons was what I used. The water would stay open during the daylight hours. It would freeze over during the night, but melt the next day.   However, below 20 degrees or on over cast days, it really did not work. Below 20 degrees, and it would be frozen solid by morning.   Mrs K
If you are scared, and if you have been attacked, well that is reasonable, try this. Wearing long sleeves, such as a thick hoody or sweat shirt, go down in the dark, and either prop your flashlight so that it shines on the floor in the corner, just giving you enough light to see. Take a bath towel, grasping towards the end in a hand, flip the middle over his head, while reaching firmly with each hand to each side of his body over his wings. Press tightly and remove from...
They have quit do to lack of enough daylight, and enough brightness. I am in SW South Dakota, and mine will start up in the next couple of weeks. Usually before the end of January.   Mrs K
You really don't want the rooster friendly. They are not like dogs and cats. You want the rooster to respect you and your space, or they will try to dominate you. I know it sounds contrary, but flocks depend on pecking order, and they consider the people that care for them. You want the rooster to move away from you, and to keep about 5 feet away. He should not challenge you, or fluff up. Excessive crowing when you are around is a bad sign.    If the rooster is friendly,...
More than likely you are not going to like my advice, and that is ok, they are your birds, and you can try different things with them.   I have kept a flock for a long time, but they are not all the same birds. I keep the flock, and different birds come and go into and out of the flock. I solve all problems for the flock.   Your flock is heavily stressed. This will cause loss of egg production and ugly behaviors. When the roosters are fighting, it upsets all the birds....
I would not feel guilty about the abscess on her leg, I am betting it came on very fast.   I would anticipate that most of this flock will be gone within 6 months. However, I would have made the same prediction 3-4 years ago! Often times, I have gone in and just had a hen that seemed just fine the day before, was dead. To me, pretty good way to go.   However, I strongly agree with Beekiss, that as the caretaker, there is a responsibility to reduce suffering of old age,...
You can try what you want: I am confused by your count, 3 hens + 2 chicks = 5? If you add 4 chicks, which would equal 7, it will probably work for a while. This is called "chicken math" on here, and it has bitten most of us.   With chicken math, this is what happens. You get a set up going with a couple of birds. You love this hobby, this is fun, and really not much work. It is fun getting eggs, but really, we could, we should have, it would be even more fun to have some...
Dust bathes and good food really help with lice, but this may sound harsh, but you have a flock of poor doers. We have cattle, and have often noticed that poor doing animals are much more susceptible to lice. I think chickens are the same way. You might need to really cull on your flock.   In my opinion, if you have an 8 year old chicken, you must be doing more right than wrong. I have never come close. Chickens do not live forever, and the end may be close.    Any...
You will really need to keep these separate for a while. The older chicken will more than likely kill the chicks if you put them together. A Art has excellent advice on integration, and I hope will chime in here.   One way gates, with small openings that the chicks can go through, but the hen cannot follow are very good. Separation but right next to each other, so that they can see but not touch is also good. Space and hide outs are very helpful.    The chicks and the...