Posts by Mrs. K

I like that idea of the mesh, it would work. My yarn is not in loops at the bottom, just straight strands hanging down.   This morning, I thought it was damp, so I flipped it to dry out during the day in the sun. Dry just seems healthier. Of course, a squall blew in this late afternoon, so then I hauled it to the house, and used the hair dryer on it it. Glued a pom pom tighter. On the way down to the house, I thought, dang it, should have brought the phone, really wished...
Take the heat lamp out, and let her take care of them, you take care of her, and she will do the rest.    Mrs K
I would love to know how you managed them in your class for weeks. I brought my new chicks to school. Everyone loved them, but I kept shushing the kids, when it was the chicks making the noise! haha - we put them in the hall, they were such peepers.   I agree with the above advice, they are more than ready as long as they have shelter out of the wind.   Mrs K
I do not know anything about chickens and ducks.   However, with the older hen and the babies. She is not going to like them. However, because there are so many, she won't have the energy to chase all of them all the time. Set up some one way gates, where the chicks can fit through, but a bigger bird can't follow them, some hideouts, and I would integrate them much younger than 8 weeks.   Monday my chicks will be 3 weeks old, they are out in the big girls run, behind...
One of the things, is that any customer can reach in and handle the chicks, and often are not real careful which bin they put them back in. So you can think you are getting one kind only to wind up with another.   Mrs K
Update: One needs to continually check the wooly hen. I did get a chick tangled in there today, but what had happened was a pom-pom came loose. The chick was fine, but when I checked, the bedding under the wooly hen was damp, and part of the wooly hen was damp.   I pulled out the bedding, put in new dry bedding, cleaned out the wooly hen of debris, and set it up again.    I am still quite happy with it, my chicks are active, venturing out into the run, I do not see a...
Thank you, but I cannot take credit, I saw it here first. Got brave and tried it.   Once I got them down to the coop, they are no more work than the other chickens. They put themselves to bed, a little later than the bigger girls. When I got down there tonight, I was missing three, so, I lifted it, and they were already in, shortly the rest joined them. I am quite glad I tried it. I was nervous at first, but I do not have electricity at the coop, I had the yarn. Had...
I have so been where you are: Predators, new coop/run.   A coop that you can walk into is very nice. Working with 4 and 8 feet plywood sheets, and multiples of those numbers leaves the least waste, but building a coop is expensive.   I have had good luck with a woven wire fence for the run, with the lower part lined with chicken wire so that the chicken wire bent L shape with about a foot on top of the ground. The first year, I put some rocks or posts on top of it, to...
I vote for the mix. The older hens who will lay this summer, get chicks, by the time the chicks are coming on to lay, you can cull some of the older birds. However, I think personally it seems like it takes 40 years for chicks to start laying eggs... I mean I know it doesn't, but it seems like that.   I am having very good luck with a lattice pen as a one way gate with chicks and hens. I am going to post a picture tomorrow.   Mrs K
I laughed too,  cause they scattered like crazy, and really, he didn't move toward them.   I do think space is crucial, and I have a huge run, and Friday, I put the big ones outside of the run. I unrealistically thought they would stay more in the pen, and they did that first day, but mostly I think because they had been in a rubbermaid tote, and were used to being that close together. Now they are acting more like chicks with a hen, in that they flow out and flow in,...