Posts by Mrs. K

I feen mine wheat sprouts this time of year. I have stand that holds pie plates, I empty a plate of sprouts, add new soaked seed, water the rest. 
Very good advice, Beekiss gives! Follow it, if it does not work, cull the rooster.   Mrs k
What does the run look like? Many times it is a flat dimensional open run. Put in some roosts in the run. Put in some pallets leaned against a wall so that a bird can walk behind it. Set up a pallet up on cement blocks or saw horses. This will make the run look cluttered, but will actually multiply space, birds can get under or on top. If your fence is 8 feet high, there is a lot of space up off the ground available. Another add is a piece of plywood, set up right in the...
Some will, a lot won't survive. Egg production will be down, and non existent part of the year. A lot depends on the land, some land is capable of producing a great deal, other land not so much. People talk about bugs, but unless you are raising the bugs in an artificial environment, bug are only a couple of months out of the year food.   Personally, I live on a praise with more acres, but if mine range too far, predators get them. I have numerous wild berry bushes, but...
No they are not that smart, however, it is important that you do it at night in the dark, and that the chicks are not too old. If the chicks are a little cold, they will be peeping madly, and actively seeking the warmest spot which is under the hen. I have dropped them on her back, to have them slip away underneath. There is an amazing amount of space under a broody hen. I think it works best with a hen that has been sitting about 2-3 weeks. Get them in there, and then do...
A lot depends on your space. Do you have close neighbors? Do you have a big enough coop/run set up?    I recommend finding someone locally. Check with the county extension agent, the feed store, and see if you can get the name of someone locally that raises chickens. As stated above, one gets more roosters than needed. The rooster you want, is an extra rooster that has such good behavior, that the owner can't quite get him harvested. If he is close to a year old, that...
I wish you would post pictures of the cuticle and hole punch markings.
Change is hard on chickens, so I am in favor of all at once. Personally, when I did it, I just put them into the run early in the day, put some feed on the very edge of the pop up door, a bigger pile a little farther in. You'd have thought the monsters lived in there, but sunflower seeds ARE sunflower seeds and might be worth the risk.   It was not a real big problem in a couple of day. If you are without a run, I think I would let them roost as normal, gather them off...
I do best with varying the times. Not the same time every day, and not every day. I never close my pop up door, so my birds can go inside and outside at will. I have a nice set up of coop and a large run.   I do let them out, but we have pretty wicked predators here. I have lost many over the years. For day time predation, I have had good luck with a mature rooster. But for night time ones, you need a tight coop/run set up.   Mrs k
I vote get 8-10 chicks the first year, and then 6 each year. A dozen layers should meet your needs most of the year.   In June-July when you are getting scads of eggs, freeze a couple dozen, I do a dozen, stir them till pretty yellow, and pour equal amounts in a muffin tins. Freeze and bag. Easy to pull out a certain number of eggs and bake with them or use as scrambled eggs in the dark, slow laying time of winter. I almost always will get a few eggs each day even during...