Posts by Mrs. K

or fresh chicks under her. Give her a couple of weeks, and slip day old chicks under her in the dark! Nothing as fun as a hen with chicks.   Mrs k
I would take your phone number off the post.   If someone on this post wants to contact you, they can pm you.   Mrs K
I really think it depends on your climate and humidity and the breed of your hens. I have never got any where close to 1/2, but have seen a reduction in the feed used. Mine are on the prairie, and in bushes and grass.    Various times, I have been hit hard with predators. I like to let mine out, I think they get better exercise and it is healthier than the limited space. However, not a significant feed source. The current rooster is a Bielefelder rooster, and he does not...
Put in old hay bedding in the run.   It won't save much on the feed bill. Mine have acres, and I have only noticed a slight decrease in June and July, when bug population is high, by August, bugs are at mature size, and not as good a protein source and it is over. They will make your yard look like their run.   You can loose birds. Sometimes a lot of birds. It is a risk.   Mrs K
So discouraging, but I agree with OldHenLikesDogs. They sometimes just die. Over the years, I have had them pecking and being normal, to be dead on the floor the next day. Some people talk about very old chickens, but while that is true for some birds, a lot of them are not real long lived.   Mrs K
Truthfully if YOU want them then keep them.   Chickens don't like change, but will hardly notice that you are gone if the other people feed them. A change of surroundings, climate, altitude are much bigger changes in their world. Beware of giving them people emotions, or making yourself feel guilty for leaving them. It really won't be that hard on them, much harder on you.   As I said, if you want them, and can have them, they will adjust to new surroundings. They will...
If you do hear wheezing immediately remove that chick from the group.   But I would not expect any problems if the chick have a dry spot. Even if they go out and get wet, it should not hurt them, they should go in to the coop and dry off quickly and warm right back up.   I had my chicks outside be 3 weeks, and they did fine in typical spring weather, warm to cold and damp to warm to windy to still.   Mrs K
Where do you buy chicken feed? Ask who else is buying chicken feed. In a small town, people in the area around you will have chickens, I am almost sure. Ask your county extension office if there is a local poultry club. Go to the county fair, and check out the poultry barn. These are ways to hook up with local people that have chickens. It is fun to share this hobby with other people who like it too.   Mrs K   Whoops - I just saw that you are in South Africa.... just...
often times this time of year, you can get them at the feed store.
Totally different living conditions!    I just worry that people set up what can be unrealistic expectations for the life span of their birds. Then feel like failures if the girls don't live that long.   Me, I keep a small flock, birds come into it, and go out of it. I rejoice when I get one that lasts a while, but I don't beat myself up, if a bird that has been well kept and had a good life, naturally dies at 3 years of age. It happens. I add a few each year, cull or...