Posts by Mrs. K

I live up much more north of you. Which I assume means shorter amounts of total daylight. I only get broody hens during the summer, and not too many.   Sounds like you want egg layers, so you need to pick different breeds. Stay away from the dual purpose breeds, as they tend to go more broody, the two breeds you mentioned are prone to it.   However, a woman who is about to pop, with two little ones. I think you should just ignore them,  keep them fed and watered....
@ N8vietxn - I was wondering about that very issue. And I have done some lurking on the eggs and chicks for sale, but they are all soooooo far away.   I have been looking at those light bramahs. And one could cross with a buffington, which would make a pretty cross that is sex linked.  I will do some investigation on the favorelles, and the french marans. How many head do you have, and how many roosters?   I looked at greenfire, selling day old chicks for about...
I agree with the above poster, it does not have to be an all or nothing deal. Get some real good egg layers, some dual purpose breeds,  some meaties and few of a breed that tends to go broody. It can easily help, if you have different colored eggs as then it is easy to be pretty sure what you will be hatching out. You can eat the eggs you don't want to hatch.   I would be quite interested in others ideas as to specific breeds. I have been having a hoby flock for...
Is it possible that they are laying somewhere else? When I all of a sudden, have a drop in production, they almost always have a hidden nest.   Sometimes, when you are sure they could not, it is hidden in almost plain site. Go down in the morning and listen for the egg song. Do you let them out to free range, cause it could be out in the yard.   MrsK
I think, not sure, but I think that you will be able to tell the difference between the males and females, right away in the beginning when they are still fuzzy, but you might have to wait for feathering before you will determine who came from who.  
If you can't get eggs, and with eggs you do have the probability of several roosters. See if you can get chicks, it is getting late, but some places will still have them or be able to get them. At about 21 days, give or take a few days, you can slip them under her in the dark.   The advantage of chicks, is you can get the sex and number that you want.   However, hatching out eggs is fun!   This is the EASIEST way to add to your flock. There will not be the...
I have thought of taking a video, to show just how well it works with a broody hen. Mine set in the coop, and hatched them out there. After 24 hour, she left the nest, and created a nest on the floor, with all the chicks under her.   For the first two days, I got up pretty quickly, and let the layers out to free range, just to give everyone some more space. But I have been watching them, and they are just pretty much part of the flock. For the most part, the broody...
What size are your nesting boxes?   I have done the broody thing for 6 years, and love it! It is all the fun of new chicks, and none of the work!   If you have large, wide nesting boxes what will happen is other hen will donate eggs to the cause. A hen can only cover so many eggs, and she rotates those eggs around. With too many eggs, the ones on the outside edges get too cold and die, and then she rotates the inside eggs out there, and they die too and nothing...
I varies with the breed, but around 4-6 months. They are clumsey, and over active at first.   Really it takes nearly 14 months to make or get a good rooster, one that is a flock master, keeps order in the ranks, watches for predators, and gets the fertilizing job done, but not over done.   MrsK
well, really you can do anything you want, and people do, and are mostly pleased with the results.   You do need to pick a rooster with good conformation, strong legs, vigorous, easy fleshing. And good disposition, especially if you free range, no one likes getting attacked.   MrsK