Posts by Mrs. K

expectation of a flock defender is unrealistic until the roo is nearly a year old..... give or take a few months. If you can get through the teenage months, without him getting aggressive toward people, things will improve. However, my last roo, was always a bit rough with the girls, but he was a great defender, and I who free range a lot, did not lose a hen for over a year..... till something got him, on the second attack.
Not to worry, very common in new layers, both event. I have a buff that layed the double yolkers for a pretty long time, but eventually went to single yolkers, my boys love double yolkers.   And what could you do about it? Nothing, enjoy what you got, and don't worry about what you can't change.   MrsK
Sending off an order for next spring for my first non hatchery birds. I am ordering Delewares, and can hardly wait!   Have any of you ordered from there?
I have played in the chicken world for several years, mostly with dual purpose breeds, but just hatchery birds. This year my Christmas money is going to Delawares - a very good dual purpose breed, for eggs and meat production.   If you want a good large white egg layer, a leghorn is a great bird, but there is nothing to them, maybe a stewing hen, for mostly broth at the end, but not much else. I think the cockerals will be very little meat, but more tender, so if you...
If this is your first time space is your biggest limiter. If you have enough space, then that increases your chance of predators. In my experience, the coop and run don't have to be fancy, but they do have to be totally enclosed in both chicken wire and in heavy duty wire. One to keep chicks in, and one to keep everything else out. EVERYTHING likes to eat chickens.   If you have kids, I would suggest several different breeds, it makes it easier to tell them apart,...
Don't make a pet of them, make them get out of your way. Don't pick them up and pet them. Don't feed them by hand. They should not be scared of you, but warry. I am on my third, and have not had a problem roo.   Be  aware, they really don't become good roos to their hens, until they are nearly a year old. But then if you have a good one it is a pleasure.   Mrsk
I strongly recommend you get rid of the rooster. From what you have described, follows a typical pattern often described here. When roosters are hand raised, they lose all fear of humans, and he is trying to establish dominance over your son, as he is the smallest. Many have had limited success with the rooster training, but there are a lot of failures. In my opinion, an adult cam take the risk, but a child should not be put in that position. Even a little roo can cause...
My roo is about 6 month. I was down to 3 hens, due to a heavy predator problem. I was starting to worry if there would be enough chickens to produce enough heat if the weather got very cold, like 20 below.   So today, I got 8 Leghorns, turned them into the run. My poor roo, just was like a teenage boy, he kind of tried to dance, not too good, kind of called them over, tried to dance again, and then thumped one.   all were roosted up when I checked...
if you flip some hay on top of the snow, they often will go out
The lighting is a big issue, but so is age and breed. Check your breeds on henderson's chart, getting good egg laying breeds will make for better production.   The other is age, having a multi age flock, will at least keep you in eggs. The pullets are pretty good about laying through the winter at least sometime, but as the girls get older, the lack of light really effects them. And a molt will compound it.   My June pullets just started laying this week, the...