Posts by Mrs. K

duplicate
You do not mention the size of your run/coop set up. At 20 weeks all are getting close to full size, and are taking up more room. I have through trial in error, discovered that my coop/run set up, will handle 12 head. More than that, and my flock gets stressed. I tend to run more than that in the summer, as I am adding chicks to the flock, and I free range a great deal of the time, and the days are long. But by late fall, I need to be back to that 12 head. Currently I...
You do not mention your coop size, but I have noticed a big difference in my flock depending on the number of birds I have in the flock. Over the years, I have determined that 12 head fit best in my coop/run set up. In the summer, I can get by with more chickens, as I free range every day, but come the fall, I need to be back to that 12 head. Right now, I have 7 layers, a roo and 12- month old chicks. Last night I noticed a little stress in the coop as they were getting...
I put out fresh feed every day, and the amount varies. If when I go down at night, the pan is empty, I will put out a little more the next day, if it still has quite a bit in it, I put out less. I do not really want feed available 24/7, as I think that draws in rodents.   In the summer, less feed, and in the winter more feed, in warm temperatures in the winter less feed, but if it sets in a really cold spell, more feed. Food will keep chickens warm.   MrsK  
I think you have been surprisingly lucky when you combined two flocks like that, that things did not go much worse. I think I would get rid of the 2nd status RIR roo. And wait and see if they adjust. They might, are they all the same size? Similar ages?
Do you want your hens as pets, to be petted and held? Or do you just want to watch them sometimes, and get eggs to eat? If the former, do not get a rooster. If the later, a rooster can be of good help, but it is not instantaneous. They have to grow up, and they can be a bit trying until they do. If you have SMALL children, I HIGHLY recommend that you DO NOT GET A ROO. They can be dangerous, and small children move too fast and are scary to roos, who will attack them at...
I wonder how old your hen's are? Reason I am asking is that last year my roo was finally a year old, and all of my girls looked hard ridden, but in late summer, the feathers grew back, and they all looked just fine. I culled 3 of the older girls, and left my one 2 year old and pullets. Now this year, the pullets look tough, but the two year old looks just fine, and she is his favorite gal.   I think we tend to blame the roo for technique, but I think the hens have to...
I know that there are posts on here about chickens lasting years. However, in my own experience they seldom live much longer than 3 years.   If you don't add new chicks to your flock in the spring, you will probably be buying eggs come winter. Poullets lay pretty well once they get started. I usually have a drought of eggs in Nov, cause I do not get chicks until I get a broody hen, and with no artificial light, they don't go broody til May or later. but by December,...
Make  a call whenever you feed them, even if they are standing right there. It is a good practice in that it allows you to round up your chickens even in the middle of the day. I call, when they come drop down some scratch, and they are busy, while I secure the run.   I think they know where home is, usually after a couple of days.   MrsK
also looking at Delawares