Posts by turtlebird

can't get the pics to load...I think it says something like, link not found???
Slowly is how I usually do it.  Put them so they can see the new hen, but not reach her.  I put any new addition in a large wire dog crate in the corner of the coop for a few weeks, with her own food and water.  Then I will put her on the roost in the evening with the other hens.  Usually goes pretty slick.  If newbie is from an outside source, it is usually a pretty good idea to isolate the new hen for a few weeks to make sure she is healthy (lice/mite free, no...
You are right, too narrow.  If you cut the long side off of two, you could screw them together(making sure the smooth side of the screw is on the inside) and have one that is 12x12x14 high (the height could be adjustable.  Plastic would be easier to clean.  The only other issue I can think of is that without a lip at the front opening, the ladies might kick all your nesting material out?  That could be remedied by tipping the front up just a little bit?  Way to be...
15 sounds like a few too many...I had a standard sized hen sitting on 9 eggs.  I standards can sit on 10 or even a few more.  I don't know if your breed are banties?  I would think the number would be lower.  Here's what I did on my first trial with a broody. Prepared a broody nest in a separate coop that was very close to the ground (necessary for any tumbling chicks to be able to get back under mama if they fall out of the nest before the others hatch).  Provided...
I've raised 6 batches of chicks (assorted layers and also broilers).  I didn't order any chicks this year....I decided to let a mama do it.  I have to say that these are by far my favorite chicks to raise!  Mama does all the work...turning the eggs, "candling" (discarding the bad eggs), maintains proper brooder temp, teaches them how to eat, keeps them safe, and LOVES them!!!  All I have to do is enjoy those cute little fuzzies!  I know I'm not really answering your...
My first thought was an EE also!  Have you seen any eggs yet?
as a general rule 4 sq ft/bird in the coop if they have 10 sq ft/bird available in the run.  Anything less and there may be social issues (pecking, feather eating, cannibalism).  More is always better.  I have a 96 sq ft coop.  I used to have 20 chickens (standard) in there.  I was always struggling with feather pecking.  Even had to get peepers, which helped a little bit.  I reduced the flock to 12 this past fall.  All have regrown their tail feathers and look...
2 out of 12.  No lights, 5 hens are molting.  Had to buy some of those anemic grocery store eggs
 Either that, OR she was very well aware that those fertile eggs you snuck under her were not HERS!   Who's the intelligent one now!  Anyway, I hope you are able to pull the wool over her eyes (or under them, I guess) and pull off a successful hatch.   
x2