Posts by ChickenAsylum

That's what I don't understand.  I don't think they had so many problems back in the day.  Is it commercial feed?  Are we so much more attentive?  Or do we intervene too much and not cull when we really should?   Bianca was so sweet.  She was my only silver-laced Wyandotte.  She was very quiet and calm, but respected by the flock.  When I talked to her and said her name, she would respond with that soft, high um-um-um-um sound.  Like a chirp with her beak closed....
I let Bianca go last night.  I shouldn't have waited so long.  I used the CO2 method explained in this website:  http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/index.php.  She was very weak and went quickly.   Today I found the courage to open her vent to see if I could tell why those eggs couldn't come out.  What I found was a smelly egg the consistency of a hard boiled egg with no hard shell.  It was never going to budge.  I didn't go any further, but as I said before, I...
I will research the most humane method of euthanizing  a chicken.  I have kept her warm and made her oats, yogurt and nutri-drench, but I now realize I have allowed her to suffer too much.  I never expected her to live this long in her condition.  I have not located a vet that will work with chickens in my area.  Thank you for your encouragement to do the right thing, Bobby-J and AlicesSilkies.   Semillion2 - I saw a very comprehensive first aid kit list on here at...
I gave her another warm bath and put her on a heating pad with a damp towel last night.  She is still trying to pass to eggs.  I swear I feel 3 in there.  She is hanging in there, but very emaciated.  I guess all I can do is keep her as comfortable as possible and hope she passes peacefully.
My 3-year old Wyandotte has what I believe are 2 large eggs in her lower abdomen.  I have had her in the house and keeping her warm for a week.  I had found her crouching in a corner of the coop.  She was eating and drinking fairly well until yesterday.  I have tried the warm baths.  I have tried manipulating one ot the eggs up toward her vent.  She strained and strained, but nothing.  I tried inserting a gloved, oiled finger, but I don't know what I am doing and afraid...
I think you are onto something!  Her abdomen is huge and hard as a rock.  It is getting bigger and her legs are growing wider.  Is there anything I can do?  She eats and drinks and acts normal, except the limits on her mobility.  Even so she gets up and down my porch steps and walks around in the yard.  Her breathing is a little fast and hard.  Of course she can't perch.  At the very beginning when her legs were maybe only an inch too wide, the other chickens tried to...
      Has anyone ever seen this in an adult hen.  Her legs are getting farther and farther apart and she is beginning to have trouble getting around.
            This is Mabel.  She has been living on my porch for the last several months.  She was suddenly being attacked by the flock, so I removed her and then noticed the beginning of her spraddled legs.  At the time they were only splayed about an inch.  Over time they have gotten worse and worse.  Her quality of life is good.  She spends her nights on the porch and her days in the shade of the yard.  She eats and drinks, but not very...
i'm sorry.  false alarm.  on closer inspection, i see it's egg yolk.  duh!
  Here she is.  I think she is broody.