Posts by buckabucka

I'm not sure what kind of incubator you have, but when I hatched in one of those styrofoam incubators with the wire floor I didn't cover it with anything. What were you going to cover it with?
Sorry to hear about your polish roo, anyasmifya! I hope he is able to make a recovery.
mckenny, or anyone else who is hatching, if you need to assist a chick out of the egg, I bookmarked this post. It was helpful to me. http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching I've run out of space under the lights for seedlings. Normally, the onions would be headed out in a couple of weeks, but there's still 3 feet of snow on the garden. I can see the snow gradually retreating. It will be interesting to see when I can actually start...
Wouldn't the feather-leg be a light Brahma?I'm so glad I don't live near there. I love my light Brahma.Congratulations on everyone's hatches, and sorry for those that did not go well this time. I hope I will be hatching sometime in the next month or two.
Quailtrail, Ameraucana eggs can be really hard to see through. Unless they start to smell, I would leave them all in there, you may be surprised (hopefully!). LG, I understand that a warm dark place might be nice for chicks that just hatched. My brooder is always kind of dark now because I switched to the Ecoglow instead of heat lamps. They are pricey, but I've never regretted buying it. It seems like someone could make their own Ecoglow for not much money, but that...
I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the comforter/heating pad system. As long as the brooder is warm, it seems just as suitable for them to rest and dry off in there. I do open the incubator if it gets really crowded, but my last hatch I ended up with one shrink-wrapped, so I try to hold off as much as I can. The shrink-wrapped chick lived and is fine, but I had to help her hatch, and then hold her under a heat lamp while I painstakingly washed off the membrane using...
If you have others hatching it is best to wait a bit. That bull might even help the others hatch. You'll lose quite a bit of humidity pulling him out.That being said, I do pull mine out in certain circumstances. I've had them get trapped between a poorly-placed hatching carton and the wall, and I've had it get so crowded that some got their fluff trimmed on the fan.
Yes, very exciting! Have a great hatch!
This sounds like a deal! Buy a few chicks and go home to enjoy a baked potato. You may want to pack little sides of butter and sour cream......
Sorry about your broody quitting, quailtrail. And congrats on the goose egg, ashandvine! No sap flowing here. It hasn't been warm enough. I kind of wonder how Maine maple Sunday worked out today. We had planned to make more syrup this year, but we'll have to wait and see if the weather cooperates. We do have a bunch from last year. So today, my hens laid a ..........potato! Our hoop coop is on the garden for the winter. The hens have leaves to scratch around in,...