Posts by HallFamilyFarm

They roosted inside all winter with no issues. This was a freak late ice storm. Black Orpingtons next door were fine. The hens were fine. These two guys just did not go to roost as normal.
  Idiots roosted on the ground in our last severe winter storm. Plenty of covered protected roost space and they roosted together on the ground. Hens were fine and comfy inside.  We had them in one side of this coop just for the winter. In southeast Arkansas we rarely heat coops. This was a late unexpected freezing rain storm. Blew right in on them. We also lost a goat nearby. But life goes on. Life and death is a hard lesson on a farm. 
 We did not keep any. Allowed others to go forward with our eggs. Then we lost our Splash male with a harsh winter storm. We do plan on watching a few this year with a different Blue Orp cockerel.
 With Standard of Perfection type Australorps you can run more than one male in a pen. We introduced them together at the same time and they were fine, after a few moments of a cockfight. It is suggested to place a board or other object, about 3'x3' every so far in the pen. The less aggressive male will hide behind the board and the more aggressive will not see him and get distracted by that cute hen, feed etc.  Sadly, Jahdan lost both males in the severe winter storm, but...
Goal of thread is to share photos and ideas for carport coops and barns.... built inside and using carports. Other type structures are appreciated, but the goal is to share about the use of carports.   While driving down the road one day, I passed a goat barn.... carport with goats. This caused me to start thinking about using a carport to build our coops inside. Most carport dealers sell a 12'x21' for about $700. If each leg was used as the divider then each 12'x21'...
 Can you tell us if the chicks are two breeds or just a colorful mixture? The "Arkansas Blues" are blue, black and splash. The blue egg laying Brown Leghorns are a brown. Would love to see photos of your flock.
Whiting Farms was the developer of the Arkansas Blues aka UofA Blue Egg Layers. However they also developed a Brown Leghorn that lays blue eggs. We now have one (1) of those. Per the description, I believe that Whiting Farms has incorporated the blues with the brown birds and selling them as Whiting blues. However, the UofA Blue egg layers, the Arkansas Blues, are not the same breed that Whiting now sells. These were genetically selected for two traits, the Andalusian Blue...
My son Jahdan (12) is really enjoying his Australorps. They are the line developed by poultry judge Terry Britt. We have eggs in the incubator now. He is hoping for a good hatch. Jahdan wants to show a full display at the shows this fall. Lots of work ahead of us, but he has his goal set.               
I have a friend that is considering using one of our Buff Minorcas on his Penedesenca to develop a blond Penedesenca. Here is a comparison I created with Print Shop and random photos on the web. Any thoughts?  
Jahdan and I are now working on a Buff Minorca project from the University of Arkansas. Not sure how many we have. We did have 2 trios of nice juveniles, but yesterday brought home some more from the Heritage Poultry Workshop at P. Allen Smith's. Here are some photos from the University of Arkansas's heritage poultry research barn. Jahdan and I toured the barn in December 2013. Our Buff Minorcas hatched from this flocks...