Posts by Gallo del Cielo

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing.  It'd be perfect since it'd stay vertical and not spill.  
 Thanks!  Sure I can post pics, all of the following were posted to other threads.   Well, nearly half of the garden (12' X 20') is now covered with a greenhouse and the larger portion we used to plant fruit trees.   We have Minneola tangelo, lime, moringa and two kinds each of nectarine and plum in there.   We still keep the area with the fruit trees heavily mulched and it provides the chickens endless hours of foraging under shelter of the trees. The greenhouse is split...
I've enjoyed this thread and figured I should contribute.   As an avid gardener in the desert southwest of the US, I have to consider water conservation in everything I do in the yard.  Water is expensive here in Tucson and anything I can do to lower that bill is money in our pockets.  When we first bought this house nearly seven years ago, surrounded by block walls, in the center of the city on just over 1/3 of an acre we had great plans for a garden and fruit trees.  Our...
  She's on her way to China!
I don't mean to be a downer, but there are types of ticks that feed on chickens.     They're called poultry or fowl ticks and they hide in cracks around the roosts and typically only emerge to feed on the chickens during the first hour following dusk and return to their crevices until they need to feed again.  Unless you looked at the right time and at the right place, you'd never know your chickens have them.  Because of their habits of hiding in crevices and only coming...
 You live in a very humid climate, which makes it much more difficult to keep things in the colony dry.  I'd remove the lid altogether and only replace it with a screen or wire lid.  What's your humidity outside like today?  
 With those mild temps, you must be up at elevation.  Seems like summer is almost here in Tucson.  If you haven't found us already, drop in and say hello on the BYC Arizona thread.  A lot of us there share your interests.
 Sometimes they come in with grain products, but usually they come from a commercial breeder of mealworms in a new shipment of mealworms.  
 Death during pupation is sometimes related to diet leading up to it and sometimes environmental conditions.  Your temperatures are a bit on the low side, which slows development but shouldn't contribute too much to the deaths you're seeing.  I'd probably give them a wider variety of vegetables, perhaps carrots or the occasional potato, sliced thin.  Whatever you put in, make sure it's washed well beforehand, especially if it's not organic.  Also, make sure there is a...