Posts by Gallo del Cielo

I just read your first sentence and burst out laughing.   Silkies have a propensity towards broodiness.  She probably won't lay any more eggs until she's done being broody.  You can either try to break her of her broodiness, give her eggs, give her day old chicks, or do nothing.  Who knows how good she'll be at it, but the birds I've had would be broody for longer than three weeks if they were allowed.  Sometimes they're not so committed.   I've never hatched chicks in...
 When I first saw this I thought it was a cup.  Looking at it now, I think it'd be the best option for LKD.   
 Your space sounds perfect for aquaponics!  I can just imagine how hot it got before the roof.  Even in the winter my greenhouse might get that hot if I didn't have vents and fans to control the temperature.  I can only imagine how hot it would get in the summer with the poly on, I don't think the vents and fans would keep up with the heat. Yeah, I'm not so sure about using the gray water for the AP, but it seems fine for trees.    
  Yeah, it is very similar to Hügelkultur, like an inverse Hügelkultur without the big logs.    The concept is the same though, with maximizing the amount of organic material in the soil.  In fact, I first read tangentially about Hügelkultur when I was researching how the original gardeners here in the southwest gardened.  They used swales and oxbows as natural depressions to fill with organic material to improve the soil.  These depressions would gather water during rain...
Awwww...Thanks guys, you're so kind.  Yeah, just about any fresh water fish can be used.  Blue gill and catfish are very popular as are koi.  Lots of people here use koi and goldfish so they don't have to worry about the low winter temps.   My very first thought with my upper tank was raising Malaysian freshwater prawns but I think that my persistently low water temps would be a problem.  I even thought about being a distributor to cut the costs of shipping, as described...
  Here's a smaller waterer that I use in the day tractor where they hang out while free ranging.  I also use it for chicks.  I melted a hole large enough for two widths of 12 gauge wire to loop through the lid, bending back the tag ends to hold onto the lid.  Hanging it this way makes it so it's always level, which might be helpful on winding roads. 
First of all,   It's great to help someone out with their first post so I just went out and took these pictures.  It's probably not exactly what you're asking for, but it's what I did to keep predators from pulling the wire off.  When I built the coop I first attached the wire to the coop with 3/4" staples.  Then everywhere the edge of wire met wood, I screwed in 1" X 2" board, covering the staples and making it much more difficult to pull the wire out.  I don't know if...
 Thanks!  Well, we ended up using it as fish tank too.  Most of the fish are down there.  Ultimately, I plan to breed in aquariums and raise fry to sellable size in the above ground tank.  Yes, there is a fair amount lost from transpiration by the plants, but overall, it uses less water than does the dirt garden.  I think the amount lost to transpiration also depends on the plant.  I have a chayote vine that seems to be a water hog.  The rule of thumb is that an AP system...
It's o.k., we know aqua ponies!