Posts by sharol

Jake is the offspring of my much loved EE rooster that I had for 2 years.  He developed complications from a persistent bumblefoot infection, and when he passed, I saved all the possibly fertile eggs and put them in a borrowed incubator.  Of the 19, only two hatched (Jake and Elwood - the yellow chick that I rehomed).  I kept Jake because he looked like his father.  He also inherited Butch's gentle personality.  He is protective of the girls and every bit the gentleman...
Garden tilled, check.  Potatoes planted (why do I always buy too many?), check.  Onions planted, check.  Peas planted, check.  If I can walk tomorrow it will be a miracle.  That wind is awful, and I put it off yesterday trying to avoid the wind (that worked well, not.).   The only question is, nap first?  shower first?
These are my chicks from 2012.   As 3 day olds:   This is chick 3 (Hermione).  She was a real beauty, but I lost her to laying problems last fall.   This is chick 1 (Skeeter).  She lays longish green eggs.   This is chick 2 (Diva).  She had dark eyeliner as a baby.  She is the mother of my Rooster, hatched last summer.   This is chick 4 (Precious).  She lays grayish green eggs.   This is my Rooster, Jake.  He is a "pure" EE -- both parents (Diva,...
Welcome to Consolidated Kansas.  I can't answer your question (I'm from the Emporia area), but I just wanted to welcome you to our little Kansas family.  There are lots of people from the Wichita area here.
I got 4 EE's from our local farm store 2 years ago.  They were all different colors, and they grew up to be all different colors.  One is black with a little white along the feather shafts, one is the typical browns, one has black feathers around her neck and brown elsewhere, and the forth was (she died last summer from laying issues) white with some peachy highlights.  I picked through the chicks to find ones that were all different at the time.  My first EE came from MPC...
Mom and the babies.  Finallly, the stripey one came out for a photo op.  
Danz, thanks for the moon info.  The potatoes are bulk.  I usually buy red potatoes and they have a different variety (can't remember the name) than most.   Here are the first pictures of the chicks.   this is the third hatched.  It appears to be black and white   This little one was the first hatched.  She (I hope) is actually brown.  When it hears my voice it comes out from under Mom.  The color in the 2nd picture is pretty accurate.  Mom is a BO/Blue Copper...
My grandfather was a believer in sign of the moon planting (especially for potatoes and corn), and he always had bumper crops even when his neighbors came up short.   I get my seed potatoes from Bluestem because I have better luck with their seed in general.  BTW, it is chick day at Bluestem today.  doing the happy dance that I don't have to buy babies for my broody Copper.
I am looking forward to her bringing them out.  I finally got a look at the third one.  It looks like the pure Marans chicks last summer at a glance.  Nearly all black.  I had to back off, though, she was about done with me pawing through her feathers looking for babies. You are ahead of me on the garden.  We got the compost spread, but i didn't till yet, so I can't plant.  Tilling this weekend if the weather cooperates, and peas and maybe potatoes and onions in the ground...