Posts by sharol

Yep.  Nothing's too good for the team.
The wind was hideous yesterday.  We had a fire in NW Lyon county that had fire units from Council Grove and Cottonwood Falls there to help.  It was huge, and the rumor is that it was started by some fool burning a stump yesterday.  In that wind.  What an idiot.  I was listening to the scanner app on my phone for a couple of hours until I was sure it wasn't completely out of control (though it was 5 or 6 miles nw of us, it was moving in our direction).   It is COLD this...
She is gorgeous.  I love the feather markings.
I agree.  That wind is awful (and very cold for 50 degrees).  I have a lengthy list of things I intended to do outside this afternoon that are going to wait until Saturday and hope for warmer and better.  It is just too cold to power wash the garage floor (and it REALLY needs it - at least one of my hoodlums (the puppies) is routinely using it as a bathroom.  I'll spray the icky spots and then powerwash when it is warmer (I hope) on Saturday. I'm getting 4-5 eggs a day...
I hear that, but you can't blame me for trying.
I suspect you are right.  They are already breeding and jockying for position.  Elwood is quite submissive to Jake, but that may not last.  I suspect that Jake and Elwood may be able to co-exist, but I'm with you about problems with that big, husky Marans roo.  I have 12 hens and pullets, not not nearly enough for 3 roosters.  Just wishful thinking on my part, I'm sure.
Rehoming the orp/Marans roo was a really good idea.  There is peace in the run.  7 of the girls have affiliated themselves with Jake and Elwood (who are getting along fine), and the other 5 are hanging out with the Marans cockerel.     It would be really cool if I could keep him.  He is so pretty, and my DH really likes the Marans.  I'm not pulling the ad from Craigslist yet, but I'm getting closer.   The Marans pullets are both laying, so they now have names:  Lacie...
YES!!!  I re-homed my marans/orp cross rooster and he will have a home with free ranging chickens and lots of girls (and a couple other boys, unfortunately, he will just have to share).
I know what you mean.  We live in the country, but my plan was to have 5 or 6 hens  for eggs.  When I got my first chicks I looked at egg color first.  Ironically the most interesting chickens I got were a Golden Campine (white eggs) and an Easter Egger.  The Campines aren't supposed to be particularly good layers, but Scout lays 4-5 a week when she isn't molting, and she is a real character.  She is half the size of the biggest girls and lays large eggs most of the time...