Posts by donrae

It does sound like a long time to be gone, but looking back, Honey has been going in at 7-8 am and finishing up around 6 pm a lot of the time. Course, he has weekends off.....but, you do what you gotta do, right? And like you said, you're not locked into a forever, ironclad covenant....they're just jobs. If they don't work, you find another one. I know, I was just saying how much I hate looking for a job, but we do need to keep things in perspective. there are always more...
Small group tonight and the theme was bbq. Well, smoker/indoor bbq as, in true Oregon fashion, it poured rain all day .    but, we feasted! Smoked pork baby back ribs, beef tri tip, and whole chickens. Baked beans, potato salad, coleslaw, deviled eggs, roasted broccoli and cashews, and then brownies and ice cream for dessert.    I'm telling you, eternal salvation aside, potluck is a great reason to go to church 
My understanding is dominant white only acts on black. It turns black into white. If you look at that last bird, and mentally change the white to black, the coloring is pretty similar to the father.    Black is usually dominant over red, and with the white turning black to white, that's why you're getting mostly white birds. But, your rooster looks like a color mismash, quite possibly with some buff in there. Buff is also a dominant color, it holds it's own against black...
Kind of depends on the Silkie    Most of your bantam breeds are going to be about the same size or a bit smaller.    My bantam Cochins are all smaller than my Silkies, for instance. 
You can still use the carcass for compost or in the garden. Just cause you don't eat it, doesn't mean it's wasted. 
We were just talking about smoking chickens today. My son wanted to wrap them in foil, but my Honey said that would keep the smoke from penetrating the meat well. Have you done the foil? did the bird have a decent smoke flavor, or just tender?
I think if you did it very fresh, like right from butchering to grill, you might be okay. I've tried to research how long it takes rigor to set in in a chicken and couldn't get a good answer. but there's got to be a window of time there, after the animal is dead but before it gets stiff, where you could cook it. No idea how small that window is, though. I know by the time I get most of my birds processed, cleaned, all the finish work done, they're getting stiff. but I'm no...
  I've not used one, but I've seen them before and like the concept. I'm brooding multiple ages and the heating pad just didn't work well, so I'm still using a heat lamp in a stock tank. I like the roof of this, to trap the heat better...I know I lose a lot of heat/energy that way. I'd sure like a set up where I could have something like this in my main coop, with wire or something around it to allow chicks in but keep grown birds out. 
  I agree, they're too crowded. Were I cooped up with two others in that small of an area, I'd likely peck at someone also    Also, the hen being pecked on has no where to go to get away from the others. You say she just puts her head down and takes it.....normally, she'd run away to show the others she's not challenging them, that she's accepting them as boss. But in this case, she has nowhere to go.    they really need a run that's accessible all day. Or free...
  4 does look male. It's really too early to say for sure on the rest.    they're not Delawares, but they're not Marans either. they kind of look like barnyard mixes, but they're at that stage where it's hard to say cause you can't see down color or feather color. Post again when they're fully feathered and we'll have a better idea about breed. should know gender at that point also.