Posts by RoosterGeek

I dipped the ridged end in vegetable oil and that really helped. It doesn't take much and it's not as messy as dish soap. You can also used a small piece of 2 X lumber for leverage and it makes it SO much easier. Remember to start in the center!  
It's ideal to keep the meaties separate from your older layers. The meaties are just too dumb, lazy, and fat to fend for themselves against older layers in my opinion. They are good and pooping, drinking tons of water, and eating tons of feed. Don't expect them to be as active as your other birds.     Good luck!  
I take a 50% deposit on my ducks (sold per bird) and $5 deposit per chicken. I sell the chickens by the pound. Without a website and lacking a way to take credit cards, it's kind of a PITA. By taking the deposit, I have a large portion of wood shavings, feed, and chick order expenses taken care of. This is my first batch not having them all presold. I normally do ducks and have them all sold before even ordering them as ducklings.  
Salatin addresses the issue of broiler stocking rates in one of his books. He mentioned something about having too few birds per pen and having reduced weights. I may be remembering that incorrectly though.
Oooo. I'm from Texas originally and your version of deviled eggs soothes my Tex Mex craving. What's the recipe?
That pretty accurately describes my experience thus far. I have made a 3' X 8' brooder so it's pretty easy for me to block off one end while they chill out on the other. I have found that they love to chase the red dot from my IR temp reader over to the other end. 
I would say that the FR that I raised did alright into the 90's, but they didn't like it. I would be hard pressed to raise any sort of meat bird in temperatures that high.
I have 11 day old cornish X broilers from Welp and those suckers are already panting from the "heat." I turned off the brooder lamp yesterday and kept their brooder door open to help keep them cool.    This is my first year raising cornish X broilers as I have typically raised the Freedom Ranger hybrids/variety.  Is this typical for them?     They sure do put a lot of heat out!
They are designed for low pressure, so your garden hose wouldn't fit the bill. You can buy a regulator to go between your hose and the watering system.  Good luck!
Out of Curiosity, I called around my middle TN area for prices and they wanted around 40 bucks per 50 lb bag. That's about 80 cents a pound. Holy Schmokes! If I were to grow out a bird to 8 weeks that would be about 14 dollars in feed cost alone per bird. I think I'll just stick to feeding my broilers antibiotic-free feed for my customers. Anyone else experience exorbitant organic prices in their area?