Posts by Fred's Hens

I'd start spreading word, knocking on doors, asking folks now.  I'd also ask the person, if you strike out, to make a recommendation.  On the Reds FaceBook page, Steven Scribble of SC was showing dozens and dozens and dozens of juveniles he's raising out.  He'll be culling birds until the cows come home.   I say that just as an example of where you might well find a source.  I know of breeders in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc. but first, did you ever mention the...
Sometimes, going on a cockerel search is worth the effort.  Someone who hatches out 100 chicks a year would very likely have a few spare cockerels to share with you.    When you're just starting out, and beginning with just a handful of birds, hatched from a random sample of a dozen eggs, it is really, really difficult grow out a flock that represents the breed well.  The beginning is just so very, very small in sample, if that makes sense.   What I've learned over the...
Capturing birds in photos is a frustratingly difficult task.  Capturing the true feather tones is beyond difficult in sun, dark, shadow, flash, no flash situations.  All I do is for the most part is look at type, like those black silhouettes the 4H teachers use for teaching breed identification.   It is also difficult to judge birds when young.  Familiarity, over time, with a particular strain helps someone develop an eye for early characteristics.       Let's just...
Sally is good people.
production red cockerel.   Pullets would not be showing combs and wattles at this age, to this degree.
Red sex link male.   The sorters just made a mistake in the chick sorting room.  It happens.  Yes, the theory is that males are yellow down and females have dusty red down, but some chicks, say 1%, are a coin flip and sometimes, it's "tails you lose".    Can't you just picture 3 or 4 employees, perhaps part time, after school kids sorting little fuzz balls as fast as they can?   To err is human.     I got 3 males once in an order of 25 ISA Browns, a red sex link....
And this:  From ShowBird site.  A site dedicated to show birds.     http://showbirdbid.proboards.com/thread/3057/exhibitors-101-list-knowledge
http://www.pathfindersfarm.com/Showing.html   Pretty good place to start, at least.
 Exactly.  Big, big poultry corporation.  They only need these layers for one season, and at the very most two seasons.  That's it. All in and all population of the layer house. Thus, bred to be quick lay, lay large, and burn out.  Shrug.  Do they all die young?  No, but the genetics are no designed for them to be marathon distance runners.  They're sprinter, plain and simple.
You may also find sellers of excess stock this time of year.  As fall approaches, lots of culling takes place. It doesn't mean the birds are defective, just that lots of birds simply do not meet the breeders plans and won't be carrying all these birds through the winter.   The RIR Club of America breeder list, the APA YearBook and other sources are worth working through and making contact for some folks.  Even if you get a No, ask if you can directed to someone else....