Posts by perchie.girl

Oh and watch out for that Juicy poo they do a couple of times per day.....  PEEYOU....    its a Cecal poo totally normal but if you have dogs THAT is the one they are going to dab behind their ears...  Eau De Poo.....       deb
Done it.... in Highschool.....  Bwhahahah... deb
It really depends on where you are located.    I dont put mine out till they have feathers.  But my next go round I will be brooding the chicks IN the coop.   deb
Hen Security.....   Love your Avatar   I am deb  AKA Perchie.girl.  I am in San Diego county.  No chickens right now but I have had them for more then 20 years between predator attacks... sigh.  Regrouping this year.   Lots and Lots of things to learn here  I have only scratched the surface.    Hey have you got your coop built yet....  if not better get going... those chicks grow FAST.   deb
I have had many roos with my hens all at one time. At the time I had 30 hens.  As long as you have enough space for everyone.  Usually one Roo will be come dominant and there will be a Second and the rest will be freeloaders....  The dominant roo will keep the other roos in line.    When My flock would be in the yard the roos would take up "watch" in different areas of the yard.      Protecting the flock is their main job.  Usually the Bachelors will keep an eye out for...
Lots of people here use nipple watering systems....  5 gallon bucket with nipple waterers fastened to the bottom.  Then filled with a float valve....   I am in a hot climate so I prefer to use the equivalent of an automatic dog bowl waterer.   I buy a five gallon recycled rubber tub at the feed store then a Tank water float valve....  The valve fastens on with thumb screws and can be attached to water with a hose.  They are roebust enough to handle the pressure from...
Chicken Math.....  you build for three hens and you wind up with six....  Always double your estimate of capacity.....  and your lack of self control when you go to the feedstore....   I had a pretty good mentor when I jumped in....  Dad turned his back on farming but he came away with all the stuff his dad taught him.   One of the best advice is not to Anthropomorphize.   like "Omg my hen hates me because she wont come near me"   Or one hen chases another pulling out...
Welcome to BYC   From the San Diego High desert.   I had some RIR quite some time ago.... And some heavier feathered birds like Cochins ...  They do fine in the heat as long as you provide them shade.  Pleanty of water too.  My place gets around 100-105 in the summer time but not for extended periods.... Also my humidity is very low.     If you live in a high humidity area this can effect the relative temperature....  Sort of like the chill factor in the winter...  Its...
Oh and for what its worth My roosts were five feet off the ground for the Wellsummers with an intermediate roost about three feet up.  All of them roosted on the top one.  Wellies are a big bird not HUGE like an Astralorp but big girls.  My roos stood as tall as my knee.  Almost all had no trouble getting down.  Takes about six feet of flappin to hit the ground for them.    I kept thick bedding to pad the landing spot.   The exercise is good for them.  Just my opinion....
Make sure the nest is lower than the branch..... Or the branch is higher than the nests....  If need be give them something inbetween height for them to hop on to get to the branch.   Then close off the nests at bed time.  I personally would rather them sleep on the floor than in the nests.   Once they get the hang of Branch roosting you wont have to close off the nests at bed time.     Good luck   deb