Posts by perchie.girl

By the way... it would help to know what kind of weather you get....  there are a couple of ways to keep water liquid with out electricity. Passive solar is one.... Black container on the roof to heat the water and gravity feed.  They do make solar water pumps for fountains but they only run during the day. Another way to heat water is to sandwich black pipe between glass panels and run the water through that.  Probably the most efficient. There is  a whole set of...
Welcome to BYC   from San Diego Tell us about yourself....  what kinds of chickens do you have?  and Have you started reading this whole thread.... Its so very interesting.. deb
make it low enough to touch the little uns backs....  actually they may teach the others to go in taller chicks will go in the front.  The bigger birds may not need as much heat and you might find them on top of the pad....   Oh Wait...  by the time the little uns get here the ones yhou have will be ready to go out to the coop. Yah that six Week old will be nine weeks....  fully fledged and ready to go out to the coop. Check out this thread if you havent...
Probably none.  but the Little uns coming in may be pushed around a little.  Any chance you can divide the brooder so they can see but not pester each other.  At least for a week or two.   By then they will have enough wing feathers to shoot up a couple of feet to get away. I have always had Broodie raised chicks with their momma in the flock.  Oh beware the Momma hen....  No one crosses her. deb
First of all WELCOME from the San Diego High desert.  It is dry but gets very cold in winter at night.    I have heard of solar lights used in the coop for extending the light during winter... as well as to use at dusk while the chickens are deciding to go to bed...  if they get caught outside the coop some find that darkened entrance to be intimidating.     But as long as you have good ventilation you dont need heat.  The birds put out enough BTUs to keep them...
There are quite a few meat bird threads to poke around in...  even one that talks about using fermented feed.... a feed saver... deb
snort
For what its worth I had em twenty years on and off.  IN CHAIN link...  Once predators found em it was like we were under siege.   The difference being Before....  I had dogs.  After My girl had passed away so there was no one checking the perimeter.   Locking them in a building at night wasn't an option.  They got locked in but inside a dog kennel.  I lost thirty Guinea bacon head keets in two weeks.  (fully fledged not sexually mature about two thirds adult size )...
scatter some Alfalfa on top....  they love to eat alfalfa leaves and it will get them out.  plus it gives them green food its loaded with calcium and minerals too. Plus they wont see the Evil Snow underneath..... 
what a good poo ba.....