Posts by perchie.girl

Seriously that one you guys killed was in milk right?   If those babies were dependant like that they would not have been taught to hunt yet...  they are gonners.    I would be concerned about her mate though. Bite the bullet invest in the wire you will only need to do it once.    Compare the amount of money and potential money you have lost in livestock with a one shot deal with hardware cloth.  The other option is to invest in some wood reinforcement in the form of...
LOL.....   Love love love the vampire hotdog description..... 
We have Swift Fox and Grey foxhttp://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/dam/sdc/common_components/images/awm/Docs/ipm_fox.pdf Also Bobcat and Mountain lion....  Anywhere you find Mule Deer there WILL be Mountain Lion.    I personally have seen both. Bobcat is the hardest to spot because you can be looking right at them and not see them till they twitch something. Been here since 67.   They have re introduced Wolves to Mexico and Baja CA so it would not be surprising to see...
got news for you  we have em....   big ones too. just under the size of a ferret.    The one I saw was red and had a creamy under belly cam up out of a gopher hole looked around then leaped out and did a swan dive back into the same hole...  Jes changin direction... http://www.desertusa.com/animals/long-tailed-weasel.html ""Its diet includes, according to The Mammals of Texas, "ground squirrels, pocket gophers, wood rats, cotton rats, small cottontails, and so forth;...
snapped an ACL once trying to break my fall from about 17 hands up.... Left knee I was rolling around under my horse screaming and cursing a blue streak and all mom could say was "Dont Scare the horse".....     Goofball horse planted her feet and looked down   "Whatcha doin down there Ma?"   deb
OMG you said you were "revising" but that required a complete rebuild of the roof structure.....  I wanna borrow your toys for about a year.deb
Hang in there You can do this  and I think your coop is a wonderful start...   Mine have always been built with scavenged items bought at yard sales off craigs list ....  and I have lost birds to predation....  even with Super duper highly fortified fortresses. and you should be proud of the work you have done.   When you can afford it or come across a windfall a good start would be welded wire fencing you can cover the whole thing without tearing down.   That will stop...
take a look at the feed you are already giving them...  you will find Alfalfa in there...   I really dont believe they can get too much from just flake alfalfa.   deb 
most eggcellent
make sure they are getting grit in order for them to eat anything but chick food.   deb