Posts by linen53

jdywntr, 12 of those eggs were shipped eggs that I bought off of eBay.  They were French Whites.  And 4 were home grown.  I didn't have a broody hen when I got the eggs so I started them in the incubator and since one of my blues had been laying and I had space in the incubator for 4 more I included them.  The moms are very accepting of any orphans, egg or duckling.  The one who survived, I found this morning out from under under its foster mom.  It was very cold and I...
Thank you Miss Lydia.  I assisted and glad I did.  None are very strong but none would have made it out.  Of the 4 that I assisted.  3  belong to one mom.  I opened their shells enough that they could slip out with little effort.  One peeped.  The others weren't strong enough.  I won't know if they made it until tomorrow.  I'm not going to bother the mom anymore than I already have.   Of the other mom she already has one hatched and doing well and the one I assisted...
I incubated about 16 Muscovy eggs until the last week of incubation and then put the eggs under 3 established broody moms (also Muscovy) the last week.  Today is day 37.  Two hatched out today.  One lived, one died because the mother didn't take care of it.  Normal behavior for a young mother.     I just got done candling all the remaining eggs.  4 have internally pipped, 4 have externally pipped.  One I assisted and glad I did.  The membrane was starting to dry and...
I have several drakes and always alternate letting one out to free-range.  But I recently got to thinking that maybe if I could leash them out in different locations they could still be out without being able to fight.  From what I've read here most people use a cat or dog leash with a harness, but with the hot summer coming on and the rubbing on their feathers that option just doesn't appeal to me.   I remember going to Hawaii one time and coming across a piece of...
Tia (pronounced Teea) is a 7 1/2 month old Livestock Guardian Dog. She is very vigilant and protective. She is in the process of bonding with my ducks (at 7 1/2 months old that's pretty good). Good with people, dogs, cats and ducks. Very socialized. 26" tall at her shoulders. Only reason I'm selling her is because she is fighting with her sister.  Will only sell to a good home.  I live in Canon City, Colorado.  I will not ship her because she gets very carsick.     I...
Our weather warmed up yesterday and I was able to move them outside, finally.  They are so much happier.  Thanks for your advice.
What a beautiful heart you have
Lol, ducks poop everywhere, everytime and they never stop.
My thoughts too.
Have you thought of asking them what their names are?  3/4 of my scovies told me.  The other 1/4 apparently didn't care and I had to pick out their names.     How to do it:  Think the question directed to them.  Then walk away.  If they have a preference a name will suddenly pop in your head.  It can take 30 minutes or 48 hours.  It's different for each.  If after the 48 hours you still haven't got any idea then they don't have a preference and you can go ahead and...