Posts by LaStrawberryMom

Currently:   29 chickens (we lost one of our original 30 just a few weeks ago):   8x12 coop = 96 sq ft / 29 = 3.3 sq ft in coop (sleeping & laying) 25x25 (approx.) run = 625 sq ft / 29 = 21.6 sq ft in run (day time)   In a couple months we will introduce the 6 new chickens: 8x12 coop = 96 sq ft / 35 = 2.7 sq ft in coop 25x25 (approx.) run = 625 sq ft/ 35 = 17.9 sq ft in run   Our coop has 4 - 8ft roosts, however when I check on the girls at night,...
We live in South Louisiana too and with all this recent rain... OMG I feel your pain! Just YESTERDAY we put a floor in our coop for the same reason! We studded and put a floor of OSB 4x8 plywood about 2 inches off the ground and then threw in our fresh wood shavings on the new dry floor area! Our coop is 8 x 12.I think our next step is going to be a mixture of pea gravel and sand in the now getting sloppy run! The run is 25 x 50 so I am going to do it in stages I guess...
I totally agree!
So sorry to hear this! Do you think it was because of the roosters giving her a hard time?
All of the above I would think would help. How big is the brooder? We put our babies in the bottom of a closet to begin with and they stayed warm because the air circulation wasnt has "windy".
Thats funny.... because I thought the same darn thing! I have been so freaked out making sure our coop has enough ventilation and these appear to have barely any.
Holy Cow!!! Time to buy a pedal pushing bike at that rate!
Thanks Shandra. Our girls seem to be very curious when we have put them out in the "temporary" run that we created by wrapping chicken wire around the bottom of the kids trampoline. Our brooder is small enough (yet big enough) that we can pick it up with me, my daughter and my husband and move it out to the yard with the small run. The girls are only 4 weeks old, so this has been how we are slowing introducing them to the idea of not being in such a small area and they...
I am going to save this so I can easily find all these great ideas.
We currently have 30 chicks and are in the process of finishing the coop/run they are going to be transferred to from the brooder. I think I am on information overload too Coop is approx 8 x 13 (104 sq ft) (nestting boxes not included in sq feet - they extend out from wall)Run is 24 x 26 (624 sq ft)For 30 mature laying hens (actually we think 1 is a roo) how many feeder/ water set ups do you all recommend? We have been thinking of installing a automatic bowl waterer in the...