Posts by Nicole01

We have a ton of hawk pairs living in our backyard. At least 6-8 pairs of different variety hawks, red tail being the largest. I've seen a hawk swoop at my flock once, but they were under a thorn tree(we have them everywhere). The hawk could not get to them, so it left. Hawks are very determined birds! Once they see something they want, they can't be shoo'd away, not even with water from a garden hose, they come right back. Even though the hawks are so abundant, they...
I must be doing something right. I've had the worms 1-2 weeks and look at all the pupa! There's got to be about 150-200 in there.
I separated the pupa and the beetles. There's about 100 pupa just after a week. Here's the aquarium I keep them in. I took this photo a couple days ago before separating the pupa and beetles.
Oh, hubby says no way in heck that they are coming upstairs.. I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer for reproduction.
I just put a nice thick blanket under the aquarium, so the aquarium is not directly on the floor. I have a few beetles already, so maybe I'll transfer them into a smaller container. The one thing I worry about is mold with the smaller container. I have plenty of food. I just checked and there are at least 100 that are morphing into beetles right now. I just sifted through the wheat bran and added more oats. They prefer the oats over the wheat bran.
This is my first go at it and I wonder if anyone has any tips? I currently have them in a 20 gal glass tank as the plastic bins were molding at the bottom after a few days. I stir it up daily to keep the air flow and I have no cover. In feeding fresh wheat bran, fresh rolled oats and carrots. I'm waiting for our 10gal tank to be returned from the neighbor, but it looks like that's not happening anytime soon. I bought 2 sets of worms from the same seller for a big...
I heat my coop. Not for my chickens, but for me.. I use a radiator heater on the lowest setting and it keeps my coop between 55-60F. If the heater breaks, my husband will buy a new one. I sit with my chickens durning the day. I'm disabled with a neck injury and my chickens are my therapy. I bring a chair in the coop and will sit with them as long as I can comfortably hold my neck pretty much everyday. The other benefits are the water never freezes and I'm comfortable...
My husband loves cats. I grew up liking cats, but always living with dogs. Finally after 10 years of marriage my husband agreed to letting me bring a puppy home. Long story short, this puppy ended up being his and we added a second dog from a rescue the following year. My husband now is a dog and cat person. I like birds, so the chickens are mine. My husband was not going to help with the dogs at first, but had a change of heart once they became a part of our lives. ...
We've had our Aussie rescue for 3-4 years now. Her teeth for some odd reason are just as white as the day we got her. Good genetics I guess. Her nose wasn't fully darkened, that's how we figured her age. She came to us with a cow looking nose with the pink pigment covering 1/2 her nose and now it's fully grown in. Our golden is about the same age as our Aussie and her teeth are aging with her.