Posts by Moonkit

It can be done.. a poster on here had a silkie that managed to hatch a few goose eggs.  Apparently things got really funny when the goslings were 2 weeks old and were bigger that she was.  At night they'd sleep in a pile with the silkie stretched out on top, still gamely trying to keep them warm.  Then they discovered water and the poster had to rescue the hen after she leapt into the water to 'save' her goslings.. gradually the hen relaxed and was content to follow...
  I wouldn't call it a common problem, but nor would I say its unheard of.  I had an australorp that took an intense hatred towards brown chicks.. she even skinned one (just the skin on its back was gone) before I evicted her from the broody pen.  There's another poster on here that had a hen that took an inexplicable hatred towards blue chicks.  There's no cause aside from being unable to fathom the mysteries of the chicken mind.   Hopefully your hen will be like my...
Yeah, I'd heard that too.. that marking the box as "Fragile Eggs" makes the postal workers treat the box alot rougher.. how did the eggs come packed?  individually wrapped in bubble?  nested in raffia?  Stuck in an egg carton?  Foam?  Peanuts?   That would determine far better whether she's actually a bad seller or if the postal people in your area are just mean.  
awww... are they trying out the roosting pole yet?  
Its actually almost never to late to tame them down.. it just takes patience and work.  Your rooster turned aggressive because you got too friendly with him as a youngster and when his hormones kicked in, he only saw you as a rival rooster.  Its better to stay aloof with the rooster until they're mature and can recognize/respect that you're a human.   To tame your little reject chicks (and I mean that endearingly.. its not their fault the hen's racist), treats go a...
Well.. do remember that not all chickens are alike.. even those of the same breed.  I will say that I was/am very hands on in raising my chickens.. most were purchased as chicks or PoL pullets and handled daily.  With the exception of my neurotic polish, you can easily pick up any of my hens without them panicing.  I can even carry the bantams 1 handed on their sides.  The result is what can often lead to chickens like Kerowyn, who doesn't mind being 'messed with' when...
Yeah.. my little Kerowyn is a gem.  I'd go ahead and put it in the run with her.. if they're behind wire, there's nothing she can do anyway.     Here's a pic of Kerowyn with the last brood she hatched.  Such a good momma!
Never underestimate how daring a hungry predator can be.  Check out youtube.. there's videos of hawks flying into covered pens through an open door to get at the chickens (although one nearly paid for its efforts at the spurs of an angry rooster), into the tinest patios.. etc.. Either always be out there to keep an eye on things or get a dog and train it.
I think you'd have to be approaching a 50/50 mix before you'd have a real concern about overdosing.. and like another poster said, they probably won't drink it when its that high!  
I had a similar experience back when I had my first few chicks.. They were grown enough to have gotten their primaries in but were still covered in hatching fluff.  One balmy afternoon, my parents told me they were going to take them outside for some play time in the grass and sun.  Sure, no problem.. I had to clean the parrot cages, but would be out soon.  Half way through cleaning the parrot cages.. my mom comes in panicing, "Three of the chicks are laying down and...