Posts by Carolyn227

We found a raccoon in our coop this morning.  It had mutilated a bird which we had to put out of its misery.  I have no idea how it got in the coop.  This is the third bird we've lost recently to predators.  We also caught a possum in there but it didn't get any birds.  I've walked around the coop and I don't know where it's getting in.  How to I protect my ladies better in the future?  
Yes, we don't really eat many of our girls' eggs, but they are mostly for entertainment and bug control as well.  I just wanted to make sure there was nothing wrong with the new ladies!
I guess I was miscalculating their age, because I thought they were closer to 22 weeks.  I just counted and you're right, it is about 18 weeks.  My sister got other breeds about a month before me and her hens have been laying for over a month now, which added to my concern.
I'm wondering if I have breeds that take longer to mature, and that's why they aren't laying yet.  They were hatched in the beginning of May and here it is October and nobody's laying yet.  They are blue andalusian and buttercups.  Are these breeds that typically are slower to mature?  They don't seem to be as big as they should be, and are certainly much smaller than my other hens.  Should I not expect eggs until the spring?
Our neighbor's hens stopped laying and we wanted to cut down the number of hens in our flock, so we sold him 3 hens- one RIR, one EE and one Buff.  My younger daughter was in the bath at the time and we gathered the hens.  Apparently we sold her beloved hen! She was in tears.  I can't tell them apart, but obviously she can! Fortunately, neighbor was very understanding and traded out the hens.     Now for the question.  We adopted a hen from my husband's brother after...
I just gave her some yogurt and she is eating the heck out of it.  I'll stop by the feed store sometime soon to see about some kelp or other supplements.  Thanks!
I just got a new hen from my brother-in-law 2 weeks ago.  She was a witness to predator attacks (the other hen and chick got mutilated during the attacks, and in order to protect her BIL gave her to us) and as of yet hasn't laid any eggs, though she has been a good layer in the past.  She's a sexlink.  I think about a year old.  Anyway, this morning I noticed she had poop sticking to her butt.  Is this a vent problem?  Do I need to get her checked out or do anything for...
I looked on that page and found the technical term for what her eggs usually look like- sandpaper or rough shells.  Should I take her in to the vet, cull her, or just deal with her eggs? She's been laying for about 9 months or so. We don't sell eggs and neither of my other two layers has ever had a problem with her eggs.  I don't recall her eggs starting out like this, but it's been like this for about 3-4 months at least.  I'm not entirely sure.  
My easter egger has been laying very weak shelled eggs.  They usually have chunks of the shell material on the outside of the egg.  She gets supplements of oyster shell and free ranges and has access to plenty of food and water.  Twice this week I've noticed even weaker shelled eggs that obviously dropped out of her while she was perched, like she had no idea it was coming.  My other layers have zero problems with their eggs' shells, and have never had eggs do that...
My BIL dropped off his last remaining hen yesterday.  He's been having predator issues and they decided to rehome rather than to  risk another attack.  She's a sexlink and she's really docile and pretty. She's secluded for now in her own pen, but the other hens are squacking at her big time.  She's been on the perch all day long and hasn't done anything.  I don't think she's been eating at all.  I put in a nesting box and plenty of food and water but I haven't seen her...