Posts by ChicKat

Yes it is confusing....IMO the crests have increased and become more luxurious with the passage of time -- the crests on the 1947 London Dairy show are also quite sparse - 'tufts' would be a better term.   Body and color on the one on the right I had kind of thought 'hen that looks rooster-like' - but if you look at the tail - is it possible that there is a light/white sickle arching over the entire tail ?  If that were the case it would confirm rooster - lacking the dark...
Soo my question for you Daloorashens  - is when you say more colorful - do you mean more colorful than the above or more colorful than Rees line?  ;O) Getting excited to work on my new project & really learn a lot from reading all of your posts and looking at pics!! I agree -- this is the time of year to really gear up for the spring hatching season - and it is exciting.  I think 2015 is going to be an exciting Cream Legbar year for all of us.!!  Glad that you will be...
Thanks Trish!  wow - I learn SO much from you.  Brilliant solution. 
It is funny how some of them do look almost interchangeable.  Once they are fully feathered and the down has gone -- they all look like barred babies.  Then the next stage as the males mature they will get some chestnut showing up.  This is the stage a lot of folks who favor the very light look - cut those males from their flock.  They keep changing however to my eye.  Those little hooligans. There are some photo essays on how they grow on the CL club's web page -- done at...
Hey there Flying,   Nice type, nice tail, nice long back, nice white earlobe.  Yay for showing her.  I aagree that lighting at shows is pretty bad for photography.  ETA - I am strongly in favor of the smaller crests on males and females...it will help us with straighter combs on the males.  And the judges have all remarked that they want bigger crests---because they are used to crests on polish etc.  ;o(   In my flock and with some out-crossing I have done to Blue Isbar to...
Same here, I'm aiming to handle the eggs less - but I'm not sure it will have an effect -- except for things like when I hit one on the side of the incubator and cracked it -- or saw a star-crack in the egg and tried to patch with wax - which once long ago got me a hatch.   This time I had an early hatch and when I opened the little incubator to remove her,  she knocked an egg out -- which went rolling and I caught before it smashed on the floor.  the shell kind of...
Whoo HOO - good luck -- I bet they will ALL hatch and you will have a LOT of chicks.    I kind of recall you were debating about putting that last couple of eggs IN.  I think that the turner broke on one of my incubators - and I only got 1 female from that -- 4 eggs made it to lockdown.  The other incubator had 3 girls and the two boys.  - 2 never pipped.  I think I have been running incubators too humid.  Then I left town for a week in Portland OR.  Just got back and...
0Hi Vicki - congratulations on your hatch.  IMO all your chicks are normal - and they sure are cute.  Punnett himself stated that Legbar chick down varies, (he pictured gold -- later Pease stated that the chick down on Cream Legbars was 'as the gold' -- )   Take a look:  (BTW Punnett never came up with an explanation of why the down colors vary.   Had a hatch myself on the 19th and 21st.  Only the boys are still here and they look like the males pictured in the top...
haha  I like that old part from a young wipper-snapper like you.  ;O)  Sometimes I think that too--- I pick them up in the nest and then take them into the kitchen and they oxidize.  (could also be the different lighting conditions)  
Thanks so much for the information and taking the trouble to do the blue/green photos! --   One thing for sure when the blues are compared to the greens - we can see how the CLs are identified as blue egg layers.  Something else I have been noticing with my own chickens, both the Isbars (green layers) and my Legbars are that the egg colors do change.  I remember reading years ago that the egg colors DON'T change.  That is correct that a white layer will lay white, a brown...