Posts by ChicKat

rc - if you are trying to be facetious, you humor misses the mark - for me at least. If you are serious, I believe all the breeds you named are already in the APA's SOP -- if New Jerseys are Jersey Giants that is, I am not aware of a breed called New Jerseys that anyone is doing any work on. The first post in this thread explains that it is a discussion to try to get to the bottom of some things influencing a DRAFT of a Standard that is a work in progress, and to determine...
Was reading a book called: Exhibition Poultry Keeping by David Scrivener.  If you can get your hands on this book it is excellent.     He talks about how various colors and breeds do in shows, and as you can imagine, the solid colors do better for the very top awards than the patterns - because of the inherent difficulty of getting the pattern right.     When he was discussing  white ear lobed breeds, he mentions that they may only be good for one showing season.  -...
Thanks Curtis,  It also brings to mind that there were years when brown Legbars were all exhibited together, and then eventually they were split out in the APA, I think it was you that pointed that out.  Interesting dilemma for the Wheaten Marans people. For everyone hanging out, posting, lurking etc. in this thread.... if you will post any ideas, conclusions, any 'aha moments',  Please post them and I will see if I can get a summary up on this thread prior to the end of...
There is a chicken auction down the street from me.  I had two Cream Legbar females POL - put them in the auction - they sold for $16 and $17 - while most pullets there were going for $6.  Even in my rural area...someone knew that Cream Legbars have more value---but it is a supply/demand curve.  As more people know about them and how great they can be, then the demand will go up-- and so will the supply.  :O)   ETA  - these pullets were not for my breeding program, and I...
Too bad you couldn't auction them - then they would get the highest bid.  When you consider that day-old-chick can sell for $60 to $150 for a female, and $30 to $150 for a male -- then $100 is a bargain.  You need to find an educated buyer.  I did list a pair for 50.00 that were POL.   People don't know the advantages of getting older chickens...but on the other hand...some want to know exactly what they were fed from day 1 and to acclimate the chicks to themselves and...
I wonder about shipping in winter....how cold do those plane's cargo holds get at those altitudes....but I think we may have a match --- for Science and for Legbars the world over....or at least in my flock. LOL ETA:   Have to add, since it is objectively to ferret out any recessive feather leg genetics, and since he would pass it along to all his offspring since he probably is homozygous for it -- all the chicks from a pairing with him would be culls.  Same with all the...
So very true! Don't all breeds when they are just getting started have a long way to go?  Especially rare breeds.  When I look at the 1947 CL pictures from the London Dairy Show -- and compare to the more recent ones...I do think that they have improved somewhat. 
so, I come back and answer my own question...... Here are an Ice Cream Bar male and female: This little guy is really pretty IMO -- not the best picture---he isn't one for holding still -- In theory he got zero barring genes from his Isbar mother -- although sometimes I think that there is some barring going on in Blue Isbars....and 1 barring gene from his Cream Legbar Father.This barely noticeable crest is the result of one cresting gene....it is very sparse but very...
Ohhhhh so is this the one I should buy for my flock to check for the recessive?   So that makes 3 of us that have seen it!
This is a good insight.  People have left the breed when they were told that their 'more colorful' Cream Legbars were not Cream Legbars -- sad for the breed that could use more supporters.  Some people prefer the ones that aren't light -- and so they wouldn't, most likely raise the light ones..... and the number of people raising the breed for APA acceptance would be less.