Posts by ChicKat

Superb explanation Dr. etd -- but I am wondering now-a-days -- since the brown leghorn has wild type without white headspot on females - if a headspot on females isn't an indication of good barring.  The barring will differentiate the color from the brown leghorn females pattern-wise. --  White on females heads is mentioned as necessary in the UK I think, maybe in their SOP is where I read it. ---  Seems with boys -- we really do have differing types of down.  ETA (boys...
YAY - welcome back to the ownership world.  What a pretty chick.
Hi Rebel-rousing-at-night,    You are soooooooooooooooo right.  Cream Legbars change so much it is like they are a kaliedoscope -  It really does take leg banding and a note book -- almost with a page per chicken....  The Cream Legbar Club has some forms that one of the members generated stored in the 'clubhouse' for people to use.   Photos help a little.  And bands need frequent changing...etc.   It's a lot of work.     Had a couple of blue Isbars that I thought...
Thanks so much for the viewpoint.  Agreed that there are color variations on the males... interesting that you would choose willow legs over slate.  -- since I don't do facebook - hard to relate there. I didn't add -- that some have black beaks - most of my blues, and my black one had black.  they also seem to have 'horn' or very dark with some yellow edging.  My splash has ivory with a bit of a black 'beauty mark' on it.   Such beautiful chickens.  
    Interestingly the APA requires 5 breeders who are APA members,  that have had the breed for 5 years - and for 5-years they have bred 50% true.... it would take at least 5 individuals who had longevity of commitment to the breed, and were in the APA.  The reason that they say breed true 50% is because of the genetics of BBS - only 50% of the offspring of a blue pair will be blue. It would take real dedication to the breed.  It would be very interesting though to see...
Thanks Scatterknit - Comb was the first thing I started to wrok on -- and I was lucky to have a foundation sire with a straight and upright 6-pointed comb -- but it flys away at the back...... Still not there yet..we all have sooo much work to do.  
Yep, I think that you are right male...based on the lack of the continuous dark dorsal stripe down the back.....the chick in the lower right corner is a good example of continuous stripe. 
In my pullets the head markings that are light -- on the darkest females are like tiny white hairs.  Very individualized -- and like a 'dry brush' technique on the down.  On the lighter downed females there is a more warm color.  Hardly perceptable because my very light females still have dark dorsal stripes ad dark head V's - but it is overall a lighter look.    Regarding the males... they change so so much -- I have a male that has a lot of black & white contrast in his...
They never talk about the hardest parts of raising chickens -- but it is very neat that he will still be at work and you will have access to those genes should you ever need them!  IT also sounds like with 20 chicks you are going to be a busy person.   from my hatch -- only one female.  At first I faulted her for not being autosexing enough...but now that she is thoroughly dry -- she does have all the 'right stuff' -- maybe just too much of it. LOL Previously I had thought...
Generally what it takes to get accepted by the APA is a breed association or 'club' -- Alpenzeller Spitzhaubens are working to get APA acceptance, Cream Legbars have a Club - etc. -- Marans were recently accepted and I think maybe Ameraucanas have people who still remember the process to get accepted active in their club.