Posts by ChicKat

Maybe next year?  or a different show.  Up in the North East - it was chicken pickin - I think - that spoke with a judge who hadn't yet heard of Cream Legbars....    ETA: Cool! Looking forward to the pictures. 
That makes perfect sense.... Junibutt was very observant to catch it....and it all falls into place now.  I bet that the pullet has a redder face now-a-days!   You should have hope.  :O)  It was interesting to see 30 Legbars in a poultry show -- they weren't identical -- but you could tell from far away that they are all the same breed!  :O)
Twice, I have had pullets that had dire stress.  As a result of the conditions - they had white feathering.  remember that the white is when the pigment distribution is 'turned off' -- I think in the case of my pulllets they were fighting for their lives during that time - and all their systems went to survival -- forget about decoration.  (I first noticed it years ago when a pullet had her wing torn off through the hardware cloth of a rabbit hutch.  I didn't know if she...
X2
When I first got my Legbars...I thought that only selection would influence the egg coloration - and I would aggressively select for the most blue eggs.  Subsequently, I learned that Marans did that - and there were prices to pay -- such as less frequency of the very saturated eggs...which is also a consideration for me.  I want a flock that is highly productive and has a really good feed-conversion ratio.    Of all my flock - I don't know if there are any that are...
That is a really valid concern - it seems that they die off once all the redmites are consumed - if they are the same ones in Europe--- they kill spider mites here in the USA.  I think that since the same company sells green lacewings, lady bugs and other natural pest killers that they would be environmentally responsible..... I just don't know if they are the same ones used in Europe for their coops....and you can't have used a mite killer, in your coops, or DE for...
A friend in Alsace said that predatory mites are highly effective - and totally natural. -- I see the amazon dot com ones advertised to kill spider mites on house plants and bushes... Has anyone in the USA used these on chicken coops -   meaning the ones from amazon.
enola!!!!!!   I'm so glad that you mentioned eggs.  I am getting this saturated egg -- and I really LIKE it.   The upper left corner is a green egg from one of my Isbars to offset the colors--- the egg on the right my usual eggs color--but the one next to it in the middle--- it has some gloss, and it is a deeper color -- almost between OAC177 and OAC178 to my eyes glossier too - both these pullets were hatched at the same time -- raised the same way, have the same...
Thought that this was so interesting....if you can get hold of Sigrid Van Dort's book "Genetics of Chicken Colours" you will learn so much...it is an amazing and comprehensive book - high priced but well worth every cent.  Ask your library to get it for your area...   On page 17 - she shows a photo of how the sun changes a chicken's plumage.... Here is a photo of her book with my computer screen in the background     The image nearest the camera is the example of...
I like your olive egger---she looks like a reap personality.  Your CL - doesn't have any male traits that I can see...you may need to sit her down and give her a little talking to.  ;O)  -- Or maybe it isn't crowing - maybe it is egg song?  Is she laying?