Posts by ChicKat

Congratulations on your hatch!   Chicken Pickin is right,  you do have the light and dark downed chicks from that hatch.  Both sexes can have light or dark from the SAME parents.  I have to add we had a member from New Mexico who said the darker downed chicks grew up to be the lighter cockerels - (I miss Steen)----  In a few weeks when they have feathers instead of down - you probably won't be able to tell the chicks apart based on the light/dark down - so you may want to...
WOW---    People in the Cream Legbar Club----    Time is flying past.  nominations for the open officer positions are actually about to close.  closing for nominations is September 30th.  You can nominate yourself, or anyone that you feel is capable and qualified - they must be a full member of the Club to be on the Board of Directors though.     jump over to the Cream Legbar Club website - the web address is in my signature below - and check out '15e' elections -...
WOW---    People in the Cream Legbar Club----    Time is flying past.  nominations for the open officer positions are actually about to close.  closing for nominations is September 30th.  You can nominate yourself, or anyone that you feel is capable and qualified - they must be a full member of the Club to be on the Board of Directors though.     jump over to the Cream Legbar Club website - the web address is in my signature below - and check out '15e' elections -...
WOW---    People in the Cream Legbar Club----    Time is flying past.  nominations for the open officer positions are actually about to close.  closing for nominations is September 30th.  You can nominate yourself, or anyone that you feel is capable and qualified - they must be a full member of the Club to be on the Board of Directors though.     jump over to the Cream Legbar Club website - the address is in my signature below - and check out '15e' elections - for...
I didn't get that the poster was using this as a Kangaroo word:   By taking the first letters of both words - it spells Crele.   duh?
 Of course the answer is 'just enough' - if the theory is true.    How often are the 'mean roosters' from colorful, rather than white eggs?  I often hear of Amaraucanas, and we have heard of CLs.  If you have candled these you know it is more difficult than white eggs - or at least that has been my experience. White egg layers = cavity nesters.... blue egg layers, in the wind-swept desolation of Patagonia - PERHAPS their nests are more exposed to the light and PERHAPS...
cute chicks - congrats on your successful win... I especially like the little girl left front. -- just appeals to me. :O)
What a great question!! There was some talk awhile back that even time of hatch can have an effect on the size of comb and wattle.  As I recall winter hatched cockerels were destined to have a smaller comb and wattles.  Isn't that interesting - I think light had something to do with it - and the breeder who first brought it up - said to get the cockerels as cold and in as much light as early as possible.  Conversely, in our super hot climate - I wonder if our males don't...
The above diagram is from R.C. Punnett for the creation of the Gold Legbar which was the precursor to the Cream Legbar..  So great to see a discussion from all the powerhouse-minds on chicken gentics...Henk, Chris, Tim - others whom I haven't been in contact with ----- all of you who contribute so much to the conversation thanks guys!