Posts by ChicKat

I put in a pop-up, adware blocker -- and it is so cool not to see all those adware videos---but I don't have the emoticons any longer or I would put up the 'funny post'' one. LOL
 ho ho -- we should start a new thread about - transplants and the effects of Climate on our flocks - where I am now is about 10-degrees cooler than where I have been for the past 10-years....Cream Legbars -- can get frost bite in the cold -- Yep we got that here...and I did a lot of midnight comb Vaseline trips last year in Dec. Jan - and the heat... seems the crest keeps the heat in -- but all my chooks suffer from the heat. Picture wearing a down jacket in...
X2 on doubleMM's evalution ...females have a little sliver of white and very distinct chipmunk stripes...males big head blotch and their chipmunk stripes get blurred.  IMO a really good example of both... they also still retain their 'wildtype' characteristics.  Congratulations and nice chicks!!
Texas has lots of room....  I moved here from California...used to work in Pleasanton and live in Desert Hot Springs.  -- 
Hi Sol2Go!!! Did you catch --- and this goes for all us Cream Legbar-interested folks...that I wrote that Crested was taken out of the name of the breed.  KPenley gracefully identified the breed as Legbar and the VARIETY as Cream Legbar - or Cream --   IT has been a habit of many of us to refer to the Cream Legbar as a breed for a L-O-N-G time now -- and it is really a variety.   I suppose it would behoove us all to use more crisp and precise language ... LOL -- becuause...
bouvsgrl -   That is good to know.     For people with both (like more and more of us it seems)--- I can fill in some information.     Cream Legbar pullets will generally come into lay at about 24-weeks.  I have heard of earlier - but I tell people that get chicks from me to expect eggs at 24 weeks.  My Isbars waited until they were about 8 months old.     My oldest resident Cream Legbar is 2 1/2 years old - and amazes me by laying an egg every day.  I truly don't...
I think that the original poster -- doesn't know we are asking....
So very sorry to hear that you lost your preferred rooster...Doesn't that haunt us - while raising chickens.  Mr. PhotoBomb - is telling you in no uncertain terms that he is the best choice. to my eyes, longer back, rounder breast, better carriage.  crest is a dominant gene and you can add it in -- pretty easily from what I hear...good type, good crest and wattles a bit more difficult to obtain/maintain.  good luck with the process....
Hi Sol2Go---     Not to be too nit-picky-- but while on the subject of correctness and using correct references, the 'crested' has been dropped out of the breed's name some years ago.     This is also problematic - because when people refer to a Crested Cream Legbar it implies that there is a non-Crested one - which thee isn't.  However, the Gold and Silver are both non-crested.  HTH
Hi kezza666 -   Well that is such a shame, because Jill Rees has won a number of prizes in UK Poultry shows and as a result is highly respected for her Cream Legbars.  I see from the picture of your whole flock (Is that all of them?) that one of your pullets/hens has hackle feathers that are certainly more colorful than some people prefer...i.e. they are a saturated rich color that I would call a dark cream and some people want to call gold or golden.  I will put an...