Posts by ChicKat

Hopefully, the one you get as a replacement will be just as sweet.  :O)
It is important not to forget the fact that the Merek's vaccine is non-sterilizing.  It is not a cure or truly a prevention of Merek's it is only a prevention of death from the tumors.   On his site Peter Brown (the Chicken Doctor) First State Vet supply -- used to say that there is a race in the chicks body between the vaccine and the Merek's virus - usually the vaccine will win.  Perhaps in the 10% of vaccinated chicks that die from Merek's despite vaccination - the...
Really true, if we wait until they are perfect it will be some time in the future before they are known.  
I had said that I would put in some multiple rooster coloration too---   Here is the first pass for that: Lightest - Hatched in March   Youngest - and most colorful - hatched in May-- (mine tend to lighten as they age) Eldest of the cockerels hatched in Apiril -    I think all would be designated as crele.
Earlier we had spoken of two types of Legbar females.  to my eye - here are examples - albeit the first pass and not the best photos of the two types I see.  I see one of them with shorter legs - looking more like the Lillian on the Club's website: she is kind of silhouette in this picture- shorter--and to my eye, less leghorn like.   The other type I see is: I realize that because of the angles etc. it is apples and oranges, but this is the other type legs...
Above  My skinny Corrigan when he was all legs---(disproportionately so)-- I said I would post him as a grown up -- so here he is below at 1/2 year: Tail still too high, wings tight, back longish--- comb fairly straight...his crest kind of splits and has some on the right side of the comb and some on the left side.... I am seeing this more in my flock -- maybe that is a way to keep a straight comb..... He ran away today into the woods...when he got away from me as I was...
Hi Veggie.    glad that they are going to exchange.  I have very dark downed chicks often, and the true 'tell' on the chicks is that the females will have a very definite dorsal stripe - and a V on their little heads... on mine it is darker. -- The males will have more diffused stripes, and a head splotch.  The splotch on that little guy is very small...and it can get confusing because females will sometimes have a bit of white down in the center of their dorsal head V....
can you take it back and exchange for a girl??  -- drat... (do it quick before he steals your heart)......;o)
Thanks Sylvester017-- You are really making me wonder if there is something to the total pigment of the chicken making the eggs darker too??  some chickens are pigment factories and some aren't LOL.....It IS interesting about your Silkies -- and yes, I think glossy eggs look a bit darker than the matte ones.   :O)
My rooster got - edgy and jumpy when there was a big predator -- one time it was a calf in the yard...it shouldn't have been inside the yard fence -- and somehow got out (and in) while we were away-- but left a calling card.  I don't know that the rooster would know a calf would only be curious (and frankly scared of the chickens)--- but he was jumpy after that.  Then when he passed 2-years old he became very attack prone.   SweetDreaming on here told us about how she used...