Posts by ChicKat

Sorry to hear that you are going through this.  I have also heard that salt in the water may help -- the amounts I'm not certain - it is in Gail Damerow's book  Storey's Guide to keeping chickens  - I think... There is also a plastic product that fits over the beak that prevents pecking and also breaking into egg shells - other than that the chicken can function...
One of the reasons that I like it - is the way they develop the characters - most of them have 'meaty' roles.  I thought one of the best lines in the last episode was when Cora said to Violet "you're just saying that you sound smart" - and Violet answered back "you're right, you should try it sometime".  Don't mess with the dowager duchess in a battle of wits/words!!
What a nice picture!  Very sweet.  I do remember when Cream Legbars first hit the USA, someone talking about very YOUNG CLs adopting or caring for other chicks -- more of a big-sister than a broody since generally they don't lay their first eggs until they are about 5-months old.  Those chicks look so content!!! I said 5-months for expected POL - I should have said 6-months.
X2
Ah Ha!  Thanks for the clarification -- I may choose to go that route - for the same reasons.... we'll see. I'm still thinking about exactly what bio-security procedures to put in place.  It's a shame in a way to remove the fun of people coming to the pens and at least looking in...but I have started doing more "supervised free-ranging" -- so the chickens will be walking on the same ground.  I think an 'authorized personnel only beyond this point' --  type of fencing off...
I would speculate a cross.  because there isn't a distinct salmon breast that is 'well defined' as the SOP states, I would suspect that the cross is something that doesn't have wild-type in the E-Locus. 
Thanks Chicken pickin -   I didn't realize that you had hatchability problems - but I knew a couple of people did in other threads... I had thought that their eggs were from other flocks and not their own.  So ...as with any problem, go through all the possibilities and when they are ruled out -- then what is left is possibly the cause.!!   The person that they bought eggs from could have unknowingly had a respiratory disease in the hen and the eggs could have carried...
Thanks, GREAT examples of what you are saying!!
caychris - this is such a good insight IMO -- especially with CLs.  I was just looking at my 3-year old rooster and his crest is going pure WHITE at the very top.  This is NOT SOP-worthy - but up to this point he wasn't  I will try to get a photo later - because I have remarked a couple of times about my oldest two CLs 'turning gray'.  (?anyone remember the gray pathers...LOL)----  Earlier I had called CLs a kaleidoscope, you turn a calendar page and they change.  They...
Discussion - Cream Legbar Female and DRAFT SOP   COLOR - FEMALE Body and Fluff: Silver-gray, indistinctly barred. Legs and Toes: Yellow. Under-Color of All Sections: Silver-gray.   SHAPE - FEMALE Body and Fluff: Body-- moderately long, sloping to the tail, broad in front tapering  slightly to the rear.  Keel is of good length, following the line of the back.  Feathers  moderately long and close to the body.   Fluff—medium in length, moderately full. Legs and...