Posts by ChicKat

I know right where Sutherland springs  is!  
OH -- lightbulb goes on -- so that's what those things are.  I see them everywhere - but didn't know that they were walnut worms -- so they look like this guy?  Just noticed three crawling on the door outside this morning:Yep they must be just getting started ' cause usually they are bigger than this little guy - and they are everywhere....
Good idea of how to get rid of the insect pests -- are they mostly on the ground?  It seems this time of year is the time for the creepy crawlies to come out.  Just got 3 1/2" of rain today -- the seasonal pond (aka mosquito hatchery) has now got water in it along with a couple of other places around the property...  At least all the plants and trees got a good watering - with no effort on my part. 
THANK YOU!  -- don't know why I never thought of it -- LOL -- that is an awfully big egg for a pullet egg -- so it only makes common sense. 
What an interesting project.  - Have you heard of 'Heifer International' ?  -- they proved flocks to those in need world wide to improve their lives.  HIN may have answers - know exactly what chickens will thrive in that part of SA and even provide some flocks - also training for the families.  Good luck with it.  
First egg is always exciting....The pullet that the little Banty raised that was hatched in November: Blurry but she's here: She's the one on the right - and the male is on the left.... Both have 1 barring gene because the father, Cream Legbar, is double barred.    Today she laid her first egg.   The egg weighs 2.14 oz (60.6 grams) and comes in at a pretty green -- Here compared to a white egg--- (sorry blurry too - but you can see the color) She's less than...
 Glad that they are fully recovered --  My humidity is 45% to 50% and that room is hot and humid -- there are all the brooders in there with their heat, and the incubator and another incubator that I put 7 of Jack's eggs in, that were on the counter and maybe a bit 'old' to incubate - but I want to preserve his type as best I can.  So that is one humid hot little room at the present - 2 incubators, 2 brooders with 'electric hens' and a little cage with 3 juvenile birds -...
11 is good - Plus you got mostly females from what we are deducing, based on what we know so far.... .  Every passing day that the chick in doubt makes it -- the more likely that they will continue to make it IMO. -- I had some chicks a few years ago* that needed some leg strengthening.   They all ended up just fine.  Someone who is working on barred Isabels has arrived at the point where the babies are pretty obviously autosexable.  That project is a bit different from...
 warmth seems to work magic on chicks sometimes.  The first hatch of Isabel x splits that I did  - one of the browns was stuck in the center of the Brinsea, there is a plastic grid that goes over the water well, so no chick can drown, but this chick (and the incubator was crowded with chicks -- ) either got shoved or wedged it's head in that tiny space between the grid and the plastic that directs the fan's air to the water reservoir in the Brinsea Mini advance.  -- When I...