Posts by ChicKat

such peaceful photos!
congratulations on your babies!!
Here is Charlotte Elizabeth Diana today.  She is 17 weeks and 3 pounds. One thing showing up this year -- is real definite barring on the female's tails.      If you look closely in this photo both females in the 'show team' - have grown their crests combs so big that they truly interfere with forward vision.  I wonder if our extreme heat had something to do with the growth - since they can diffuse some heat through the comb right?     Here is 9-week old...
Nice chicken pictures - thanks for posting your juveniles.  My flock looks a lot like yours.  Welcome to the Cream Legbar world...looking forward to your updates as they grow out. 
Wow - welcome to BYC I was just looking at Gail Damerow's book 'Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens' .  It is a great reference! On p. 309, talking about "Foster Mom's" She says: "A hen is most likley to accept foster chicks if she's been seriously setting for a couple of weeks but not necessarialy the entire 21 days.  By the same token the chicks must be not much more than a day old and still receptive to accepting (or imprinting ) a new mom.   To increase the chances both...
Allpeepedout and Bratflock! you are both from Indiana.    Bratflock, your third pullet is the very darkest I have ever seen.  It looks like the exposure is a bit darker, because the gravel is darker in the last photo---but even her legs are saturated with pigment.  In about a month, you should begin to look for eggs.  It will be very interesting to see if the pullet in the last photo carries out the saturated trend and lays a very dark colored egg.  Be sure to post back...
Just as KYTinpusher said -- black + black = all black.   At first I thought I would never ever get the Blue,black, splash combinations -- and after awhile it sunk in.  Here  is a great diagram posted by Haplessrunner of BYC in the swedish flower hen thread.  Superb example of what results B, bl, spl will give Here's the thread it is from :http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/375288/swedish-flower-hen-thread/8560 - post 8567.   One of the good things about B, bl spl -- is that...
  I love it.... sounds like the Wyandotte is a ditz.  I have two Isbars and a Legbar in the same pen.... Previously (before two Isbars were killed by raccoon and two Isbars sold to a friend -- they all seemed harmonious - and there are not squabbles among the Isbars themselves or the Isbars with others.I agree, Isbars do seem exceedingly smart.  When I first saw my first Isbars in real live -- It reminded me of a school of fish where they all move together.  Later when I...
X2
Our posts crossed in cyberspace.  !!  Just had a thought that it seems that cockerels are more plentiful than hens and more available.