Posts by ChicKat

what a pretty photo!  Generally the liver gets eaten by human-kind around here.  
X2 !
Stop! -- you are making me drool. Did you stuff into casing (is that what it is called?) -- I think my kitchen stand mixer's grinding attachement has the gizmo - but I have never even taken it out of the box.Many years ago I was in DFW area when it was snowing and it was sooo cold.  Heck I'm cold down here in SE TX -- and it is way up to 35 by the wind chill -- but we have been in the 60's and 70's lately -- so the difference seems stark. going to have to unbox my grinder...
I'm just curious if anyone has ever made chicken sausage out of an older chicken? -- there is a kind of sausage 'chicken, apple, walnut' -  I have some in the fridge right now - it's from Sam's Club or walmart -- so pretty available I think.   Also what's the oldest that someone has used a chicken? (and it is still edible) or at some point are they only good for soup?   Thanks for this thread - I'm thinking of going to the chop off the head method too and revising what...
good luck with your search.
Pretty little thing!  If you give her a chance to hatch them -- that would put you 2-weeks into January (for hatch)--  And they would hatch in what's going to be the coldest part of the year --  Looking at the long-range forecast here - there are no overnights predicted below 46-degrees (it goes as far as Jan. 9th. )  Maybe it would be a good time for her to brood chicks? --  I have one that may be on the edge of going broody -- and just not the right eggs to...
Just about the same here.  I'm in TX  -- we're having rain -- probably will send it your way for tomorrow.Season's greetings to everyone. 
Once, on the ranch, our neighbors had a 'mutt' bull that jumped the fences between the properties.  If that mutt bred any of the purebreds that we were raising, our excellent herd would have been steeply degraded.  Talking to a judge, it seems that the laws (in all of TX or maybe just in our county) put the onus completely upon the property owner to have a fence that keeps out all unwanted animals.   Of course the more you know about animals, the more you know how tough...
Pretty!!  How many chickens?  What kinds?
Looks a bit like an Old English Game - which I have a great female of that breed .... perhaps you could also post in the OEGB thread and 1). ask if this is an Oegb (maybe the legs are a bit long though? -- anyone know for sure?)  -- and perhaps 2). someone in that thread would be interested in taking it off your hands:http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/276168/hello-and-welcome-to-the-oegb-threadGood luck with your quest