Posts by bobchristenson

Two years later and lots more experience and I just re-read this post after I just introduced my next set of chicks (the babies in the original post are the big girls now).  Some of the best advice in this thread is about "when they stop peeping and start 'clucking', they're ready to mix".  I found that to be 100% true.  I think when the big girls hear 'cheeping' its like asking to being beat up.   I also think it depends on the breed of the older hens.  I just...
Hey All,   I'm in my 3rd year of suburban homesteading (and chicken raising) and I finally have a sick chicken (I think). Over the winter one of them (only a year old right now) started having a bit of 'baldness' around the comb. For a while I just thought it was white feathers...but it's not. I noticed one of them limping over the winter too, but only saw it once and it seemed to get better so I ignored it. Over the last 2 weeks we've had on/off blood on an egg too. I...
My issue really is one of having good enough housing to keep them separated long term.  That's why I keep trying to introduce them into the same run (I really only have a single area that can't easily be divided again).  We got a snow storm today so it means they're not going outside either...   Will they eventually work it out?  (if they dont get killed first)  I can't imagine it woudl continue like this for too many days...it seems like eventually the older bird...
Well, since the start of this thread, we're now at week 8.  I just put them together again (all day today) and it's not going much better, but the chicks are bigger so I feel like they're a little less in danger.  I opened up the coop so they're much less likely to run into chicken wire etc, when trying to get away, so that was a good lesson learned.   I've decided I'm going to just leave them in the coop tonight and hope for the best.  Fingers crossed I don't come...
Here's where I'm at...looking for some advice:   Weeks 0-5 - Inside in a brooder Week 5-6 -  they were put in a small brooder/run in our coop.  Heat lamp on all times, however with this mild winter so far, temps never really got below about 45. Week 7 - I changed the heat lamp to be on only at night so they slowly get used to the cold.  The coop rarely went below 40, although some days it went as low as about 33.     This week is week 8 and we just...
Thanks everyone!   I actually closed them up for the night and everything seemed to quiet down...I figured the'd tuff it out...then I read this thread :)   I went back out (in my PJs!) and moved them back to a rubbermaid box for the night.  Tomorrow I'll have to reconstruct their adjacent run again and put things back how they were until about 12 weeks.   Thanks for the feedback...the unanimous opinion won me over :)
My first introduction of chicks to chickens and its not going so great, but I've never done this before (or seen it done) so I'm not sure where the line should be.  Here's the details:   Chicks are 5 1/2 weeks They were separated from the 'big girls' for about 5 days by only chickenwire.  So they could see and be with each other that whole time Today I put them in the run with the big girls and dismatled the seperator (oops!?) so it's not easy to separate...
Excellent feedback from an expert!  How lucky am I?!?  Thanks so much for your thoughts....   (the backyard chickens community rocks!!)
Yes, I know the title of this post initially sounds like a bad idea and there are people out there that won't even feed their chickens municipal water (because it's chlorinated).  I try and have a balanced view of caring for my flock's health but not going overboard when it comes to treating them like coddled pets....that being said....   I just got a couple 50g barrels that were originally used for pool chlorine. I'm converting them to rain barrels and obviously...
I've got my fingers crossed, but I think I'm out of the woods.  I made sure she was eating and her poop has returned to normal.  So, I think it was stress from the move that caused the weird shell...once that was extracted and she started eating I think everything is getting back to normal.   Thanks for the advice everyone!