Posts by soldier

What you were seeing was the look of a bird that is sick. They will be quiet with wings down. Check your other stock they may be getting sick also. Things like coccidia or upper respiratory can kill them
I appreciate all of your responses and assistance. This Legbar Thread is always very helpful.   I thought the black chicks were within the breed as I had seen folks in the past post pics of blacks but of course I may have been wrong they may have been mixes. I "did" have a barred colored easter egger and another hen in with the Legbars for a few days and then took them out so they may unfortunately be my "culprit"   I did have some thoughts on color. Since there is...
I am excited and wanted to share photos of my recent Cream Legbar chicks. I do have a question. What do those black Legbar males look like when they mature? They are really dark!!   The breeding stock is all  Greenfire Farms stock. One hen and the rooster are from eggs I hatched directly from Greenfire Farms last year. I also purchased eggs and  their stock was also directly from Greenfire farms.   I would love input on what you think the different colors of chicks...
Probably late on my number hatch - I had 26 chicks hatch from my Hatch a long. Sorry for delay in answer
Please count me in! I almost missed this   Will set 55 Cream Legbar eggs on Sat!   Getting nice and warm in Kansas and hope everyone has a GREAT HATCH
Rinda,   Thank you for your comments. I hatched out my rooster from eggs shipped from Greenfire Farms last year/2013. He is about 9 months old now. I thought he was carrying the cream gene and that is why he is so light. I thought the next generation of pullets would start exhibiting more of a cream appearance because of him. Maybe I am wrong.   Currently, I have all the hens with this rooster and have room enough to grow up chicks when I hold some back from hatching....
Here are a few more of the flock. Thanks for letting me share. Please I would love pricing suggestions and all critical and positive evaluation is WELCOME!        
Here are some photos of my Cream Legbars. Please evaluate. I do know there are some faults in the flock. Such as a couple of the girls have some darker feathers in chest area and Roo has yellow vs white ear lobe coloring, a couple of the girls have smaller crest. One has no real crest, she is also slender in body and a cull. With exception to one or two most of these hens have lovely dept of body and size. There eggs are good sized also for pullets.   Anyway pictured are...
I will take some photos of the birds tomorrow and post them. Thanks
My Cream Legbar girls have been laying for a while now. Their eggs are of good size and now that we no longer have freezing temps the eggs are OK to incubate. I get about 6-9 a day. They are laying machines. I have saved up about 80 or so and I am ready to place them in the incubator. These chicks will be sired by a chick hatched out from Greenfire Farm eggs last year and one pullet is also directly from Greenfire farm egg last year; different lot number of stock then...