Posts by dainerra

my ham
it could be the food - not just grain/corn allergies but the specific protein you are feeding. It could be flea/pest allergies. It could be environmental. www.dogfoodadvisor.com lets you search by brand name and gives a good rundown on the ingredients and what they mean. It's a good place to start. And as said above, when you go to a higher calorie food, be sure to cut the amount you feed. And be careful for diarrhea - some dogs get it from a high protein...
I wouldn't use it on a cat. You can use DE though.
can your vet spay her? if not, then yes culling her is all you can do as she will go septic and die. it is likely that as she gets sicker it's likely that the live kits will die as well. It is a horrible way to die as the retained kit will slowly rot inside her and the infection will spread through her body.
sorry but Iams, PurinaOne and other grocery store brands are far from good. Dogs will eat them and do OK but never reach their full potential. It would be like feeding your chickens nothing but corn. Yes they would live and lay eggs but they wouldn't be getting the nutrition that they would from a balanced diet. They also aren't likely to live as long, be as healthy or as resistant to illness that an animal fed a proper diet would...
if she is healthy (double check with a vet that she doesn't have tooth problems, etc) find a dry food that she likes and will eat.    You already know that she has done well on the dry that you were using for a couple weeks.   So, if the vet gives her an "all clear"   you will just have to "tough love" and offer her nothing but the dry food.   No treats, no snacks, etc.    Make sure you are feeding a good quality food (a named meat meal as the first ingredient,...
I would say that size is the biggest problem.    It's kind of hard to fit a 600lb animal in your living room.   But I've known many people who have bottle raised a piglet and then moved it out to the barn so I would think that having adequete space in your yard you could keep one as a pet.   
not only was Rayden's favorite food rabbit, his favorite sport was chasing wild rabbits in the yard.   "His" bunnies were completely safe with him.   I never pushed the issue by leaving them alone unattended but that is because things happen not because he was rawfed.
I don't know about cruel.   I know what my big dog does the entire time we are at work 8+ hour a day.   he lays on his back, leaning against the wall. snoring and drooling on the floor.    He might go get a drink of water (to replenish the drool supply!) but that is the extent of it.   He has a doggie door and a fenced yard to play in as he pleases.   For 5 years our neighbors didn't even know we had a doggie door; the dogs have never had any interest in being outside...