Posts by yinepu

eggs have arrived...    peafowl     ancona duck
 are the adult birds the correct size?.. if they are and fit the "breed standards" (color and size and so on) then I would assume they are pure... lol.. but you also have to remember that a lot of times people will outcross for a generation here and there if they are dealing with a limited gene pool.. but after so many breedings down the road back within the proper breed they are once again considered to be "pure" by the breed standards and experts.. it happens in chickens...
 so long as they aren't having any issues.. I would attribute it to them being older birds.. (more stretched out so to speak)... remember .. pullet eggs tend to be a lot smaller than eggs laid by the same hen when she's older.. so the same goes for ducks Now if you start seeing abnormal shells.. then that's a different matter.. but so long as the flock is healthy and not showing signs of issues I wouldn't worry about it. You may also have a different bloodline that lays...
 it will depend on the size of the eggs since some calls lay larger eggs than others... normally you can use Hoyt's method for determining the weight of eggs based on measurements... however that also requires a coefficient (and calipers).. and finding the coefficient requires the latin name of the species in order to look it up.. the problem with calls is that they have the same latin name as runners and pekins.... so finding an accurate coefficient is pretty darn...
that's hard to say.. I have had some broody hens squash everything in sight.. others would be delicate enough to sit on a cupcake and not smoosh it.. I would think that anything buff orp size should be ok though... 
 it could be that there are some bad genetics involved (lethal genes)... but my first guess would be bacterial when I clean an incubator I don't use the wipes.. I found that they didn't really get into all the nooks and crannies... this is what I do for my coolerbators.. so you may have to try a few adjustments for the sportsman: My normal procedure for cleaning the incubator is as follows:Turn off the unit and allow the bulbs / heating elements to cool.. removing any...
 for mine it has been mostly bloodline related... I have gotten turkeys from porters as well as local.. the locals are a bit... well.. putting it politely.. nuts... and I found that when I crossbred turkeys from porters with the locals the offspring tended to mellow out quite a bit.  my palms for instance.. porters were pretty laid back.. but the local palms were so crazy we ended up putting them in the freezer. and it really didn't seem to matter which of the breeds I got...
 sorry I didn't get back to this sooner.. had lost track of the thread.. anywho... he said he has everything Holderreads has plus all sorts of wood ducks, tree ducks, shelducks, pintails, cranes, and some swans.  he is booked up until sometime in June... so i have no idea what he will have available then (not sure on the laying season for his birds)...when he sent me the call eggs he also sent 10 black east indie eggs!..
 we haven't lost any to coyotes... YET Our turkeys free range and are pinioned (can't fly) so they roost lower to the ground.. BUT we have livestock dogs that protect them at night... so no losses to coyotes so far... even the foxes avoid them because of the guardian dogs.. you stand a higher risk of losing the young ones to foxes (our foxes have no problem attacking birds during the day.. but again the dogs keep them out of the front pasture where the turkeys hang out).....