BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Help with possible respiratory illness
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help with possible respiratory illness

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I need help from all you experts deciphering the info on this site about respiratory illnesses. First here is my issue:
I introduced 2 new birds to my 2 remaining birds and one of them sneezes every now and then and makes audible noise when breathing only sometimes. I have had them for 3 weeks. I have not treated any of my birds and have not quarantined. Could this just be how this chicken sounds and acts?
Here are my questions:
1 From what I have read, it seems like the bird will be a carrier and even if I quarantined when I first noticed the rest of the flock would have been exposed anyway. Is that true?
2 it seems like most respiratory illnesses are severe and would be accompanied by other symptoms and would have progressed in 3 weeks to something more. Is that true?
3 should I give antibiotics if there doesn't seem like any secondary bacterial infection is going on as of yet or should I wait for true , consistent wheezing, bubbly eyes, snotty nose/head shaking, lethargy? I am hesitant to give antibiotics in the water to all and lose the eggs from my 2 girls (the only ones laying at this point).
4 once they get this do they have it off and on or is it like us when we get a cold in that it goes away and that's it (other than I know chickens shed the virus and can infect others that have not had the illness)?
5How long do these things take to run their course within the bird and how long is the incubation for the other birds to show symptoms?
My friend that gave them to me kept them both together and the other bird he gave me does not have any symptoms nor are my original 2 showing signs yet.
Thank you so so much for any help you can provide!
post #2 of 8

Hi, I'm looking forward to seeing what others post. I have a similar problem, though not with a new addition to the flock.

My hen (one of six) began to have symptoms about 2 weeks ago. She was wheezing, sneezing and generally gasping for breath. It reminded me of croup! 

I semi-isolated her and gave her electrolytes in her water and some peace and quiet. Over the last few weeks she seemed to recover 90% but today she seems very congested again and isn't making any noise at all. She looks good, though, and is as feisty as ever, and laid an egg just a few days ago.

I also noticed that another hen doesn't have her normal voice this morning either. I'm concerned about this illness spreading. I'm also especially concerned because we're going away for a few nights this weekend.and I won't be able to monitor them.

 

Fingers crossed.

post #3 of 8

Hello, I'm having the same problem with a new addition to my flock and was told if no symptoms present could be dusty around there. I found help in the Ducks forum under the thread Why is my pekin sneezing? 

post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by calsunchic View Post

I need help from all you experts deciphering the info on this site about respiratory illnesses. First here is my issue:
I introduced 2 new birds to my 2 remaining birds and one of them sneezes every now and then and makes audible noise when breathing only sometimes. I have had them for 3 weeks. I have not treated any of my birds and have not quarantined. Could this just be how this chicken sounds and acts?
Here are my questions:
1 From what I have read, it seems like the bird will be a carrier and even if I quarantined when I first noticed the rest of the flock would have been exposed anyway. Is that true?
2 it seems like most respiratory illnesses are severe and would be accompanied by other symptoms and would have progressed in 3 weeks to something more. Is that true?
3 should I give antibiotics if there doesn't seem like any secondary bacterial infection is going on as of yet or should I wait for true , consistent wheezing, bubbly eyes, snotty nose/head shaking, lethargy? I am hesitant to give antibiotics in the water to all and lose the eggs from my 2 girls (the only ones laying at this point).
4 once they get this do they have it off and on or is it like us when we get a cold in that it goes away and that's it (other than I know chickens shed the virus and can infect others that have not had the illness)?
5How long do these things take to run their course within the bird and how long is the incubation for the other birds to show symptoms?
My friend that gave them to me kept them both together and the other bird he gave me does not have any symptoms nor are my original 2 showing signs yet.
Thank you so so much for any help you can provide!


Hi, Im not an expert, but i do have experience with respiratory illnesses in my flock, so here goes:

 

1. If the condition is a virus, then yes, they will be carriers for life. Any additions to your flock will exhibit the same symptoms at some time or other.

2.Not all respiratory illnesses are severe-  some can be as benign as humans having a cold.

3. I used to administer antibiotics, but these days, as long as a chicken is healthy in every other way apart from wheezing etc, I put vitamins in the whole flock's water and monitor them. Whatever my flock has, it usually clears itself up within a week.

4. They may well show repeated symptoms - maybe when stressed, colder temperatures etc.

5. Cant answer that one I'm afraid as incubation duration and recovery depends on the precise virus / nasty.

 

Your other chicken that you got with the sick one may not show symptoms because it may have already had illness and built up an immunity to it. The other chickens may take months to show symptoms or maybe will never suffer at all. 

 

Hope this helps a little

 

Good luck

 

CT

Nairobi, Kenya
Reply
Nairobi, Kenya
Reply
post #5 of 8

Thank You for the info. 

post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKen View Post


Hi, Im not an expert, but i do have experience with respiratory illnesses in my flock, so here goes:

1. If the condition is a virus, then yes, they will be carriers for life. Any additions to your flock will exhibit the same symptoms at some time or other.
2.Not all respiratory illnesses are severe-  some can be as benign as humans having a cold.
3. I used to administer antibiotics, but these days, as long as a chicken is healthy in every other way apart from wheezing etc, I put vitamins in the whole flock's water and monitor them. Whatever my flock has, it usually clears itself up within a week.
4. They may well show repeated symptoms - maybe when stressed, colder temperatures etc.
5. Cant answer that one I'm afraid as incubation duration and recovery depends on the precise virus / nasty.

Your other chicken that you got with the sick one may not show symptoms because it may have already had illness and built up an immunity to it. The other chickens may take months to show symptoms or maybe will never suffer at all. 

Hope this helps a little

Good luck

CT

Thank you so much! Yesterday she started to make some crazy noises (wheezing coughing), but after a little bit it cleared up. I am on the fence here. I rubbed a little vetRX on her comb and under her wings last night. May bring her down for an antibiotic injection to the local feed store today. Starting to get freaked out a little. I have read some people just cull the entire flock and start over.
Edited by calsunchic - 9/25/15 at 5:21am
post #7 of 8

calsunchick, said

Quote:
Thank you so much! Yesterday she started to make some crazy noises (wheezing coughing), but after a little bit it cleared up. I am on the fence here. I rubbed a little vetRX on her comb and under her wings last night. May bring her down for an antibiotic injection to the local feed store today. Starting to get freaked out a little. I have read some people just cull the entire flock and start over.
Edited by calsunchic - Today at 5:21 am

You mean your local feed store will give an injection???? wow

thanks

post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by calsunchic View Post


Thank you so much! Yesterday she started to make some crazy noises (wheezing coughing), but after a little bit it cleared up. I am on the fence here. I rubbed a little vetRX on her comb and under her wings last night. May bring her down for an antibiotic injection to the local feed store today. Starting to get freaked out a little. I have read some people just cull the entire flock and start over.


You are welcome, and yes, the only way to resolve the issue once and for all is to cull the entire flock and start again. However, if you can cope with your chickens showing the symptoms then its fine to keep them - can be a problem when you wish to expand your flock as any new members will also have the same illness.

 

Don't panic about the wheezing unduly. i would imagine that it will be a lot better in a couple of days. 

Nairobi, Kenya
Reply
Nairobi, Kenya
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures › Help with possible respiratory illness