I have some guineas that created a shared nest inside their coop in a dust bath box. It is large, about 2 x 8 feet with 1 foot walls, so I hope it will be a good starting place for the babies. About 4-5 days ago they began to hatch but we didn't see them until 2 days ago. At that point, I could see that one baby was getting stepped on by the adults and couldn't right itself quickly. We managed to shoo the mothers away to get a better look (opening an umbrella held toward them did the trick). We found the 1 baby that was weak and not standing well and another 9 healthy keets. We brought the weak one in for extra warmth and TLC, and after inspection, treated it for splayed legs. That was Friday evening, and now on Sunday we removed the bands to find it much stronger and walking well. It is eating well but may still be a bit weaker than the keets still out with the mothers. If it continues to grow stronger and move well in the next day or two, could we place it back with the others since they are all still so young? We are afraid it will not be accepted into the flock if we wait until it is older, but also fear it will be rejected or harmed if we place it back now. Does anyone have any experience or advice with this?
Can I reunite a keet to siblings and mothers after a few days?
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickens
Update: After continued good walking and some jumping attempts, we decided to try to reintroduce it this afternoon. We shooed the mothers out again and shut the door (they are getting savvy and tried to attack the umbrella for the first time) and put the baby in with the other keets first. It was smaller than most, with only one other being the same size. It was really timid and did not approach the loud pack. One of the others approached it, and then it went back and forth between standing near them and separating from them for a while. None of the other babies were aggressive toward it. We knew we needed to let the mothers back inside, so said a quick prayer and opened the door for them. They came back and joined the babies, and didn't seem to take any notice of the returned keet. After watching for a bit, and seeing some communal eating and drinking, we are hoping that the mothers are accepting the larger pack. We aimed for late afternoon so that it would get dark soon and hopefully they will sleep and wake up as a united group! Say a prayer or wish them well, and we will see how it goes.