Thanks aart! I'm no carpenter, but I do strive to get things done right.
The playhouse did end up getting taller than I anticipated because I had to line it up with my existing run to allow them to sit flush. The run's roof rafter with angled pitch had to go across and between the groove of the playhouse window stone molds that were protruding far out - you can kinda see this on my inside run pic.This took accurate and precise measuring, a major PIB ....
If I were building a coop and its run at the same time, I probably wouldn't have had to deal such predicament. However, I do like the resulting run height because the lower part of the run is much more usable, and I'm able to hang my 16 lbs feeder tall off the ground.
To clean the poop boards, I do have to get into the coop through the front door with a step stool. I'm currently experimenting one roost without a poop board (near the door), and one with, and trying to decide on which configuration I like more. When I spy on the girls through my security cam, they don't seem to mind either side and they've all found their favorite spots equally divided between the two roosts. The sweet PDZ, I'm finding out, is a very dusty product with lung cancer (mesothelioma) hazards, so I might just get rid of the poop boards in the long run. This will remove any reach issue, and I won't need to get into the coop with my front clean access. I have a dog kennel pan sitting on top of vinyl flooring, so it slides right out.
The installed cams aren't wifi. I do have IP wifi cams (not used around coop), but they're not nearly as clear and useful as wired cams. I have an 8 CH security cam DVR for my house, so I hooked it up with the coop and run's tiny IR HD bird cams for motion sensor recorded footage. I'm able to tell exactly who's laying eggs, and what the girls are up. This is a lot of fun.
The Mexican thatch runner wasn't cheap so I'm going to see how long it'll lasts out there in the elements and replace as needed. My husband thought the original playhouse was ugly, so I thought to decorate it. I didn't want to compromise the waterproof poly structure, so it's draped on top and secured around the chimney post. I had to double layer the thatch because a single layer wasn't adequate. The thatch, however, significantly improved the heat retention in the coop, so I've decided to add thermal bubble foil insulation on the ceiling. The wifi thermometer came in handy for noticing the huge difference.
Edited by bluema - 11/20/15 at 5:55pm