Originally Posted by oldhenlikesdogs
I have a thing for pens, yours are really looking good.
Thanks! The next session should see more done but today, we were framing out the three doors so that slowed us down. We have one door already for the other side that came from Deacon's old coop, just need to add a panel to the bottom and re-secure or replace the chicken wire on it. Then, we'll have the remaining two doors to build and, of course, the two remaining pens on the back side, one large one and another 5x8 as the extra pen.
We ran into a tiny issue on the back 5x8 with the slant framing support not allowing the wall to be 100% level unless we put it on the inside of that slant member, making the pen a tad too small, so we put it on the outside, pushed up against it as far as it would go. That will be a slight issue with covering the pen-necessary with bantams who will fly up into the box trim, like Aimee who sails over anything if it isn't covered. I could put the bantams in the front pen we did the floor for first rather than Xander's non-flying small group, the one next to the main door. That slant framing support is at the outer edge of the pen so it won't be as much in the way when we go to cover the pen as the one at the back pen. Hope that makes sense. So, the D'Anvers may end up at the front 5x8 and Xander with his 3 large fowl hens in the back pen, which won't actually have to be covered since none of them can fly up 7'. I do intend to cover all of them in some way or another, but changing those two groups' locations will help at the outset. There are only 7 D'Anvers and if you know them, they're super tiny, much smaller than bantam Cochin, Xander, even.
Edited by speckledhen - 2/16/16 at 12:44pm