(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Very new but I did do some investigating and learning before I bought chicks. I still have a very, very long ways to go as I've never actually had a live chicken before. Still I'm confident it will be fun more often than not. You never know for sure until you go for it.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I have chicks that are approximately 9 days old. 11 or 21 chicks, depending on how you count your chickens after they've hatched.
(3) What breeds do you have? Australorps: 10, Faverolles: 1 (& "males for warmth" - 10; they're some kind of red chickens)
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Searching for information about chickens.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies? When I'm not working I'm either puttering around at my house with family and friends. Or puttering around at their house ... It's what we do.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Family and friends are what make the world go around :) I'm a people person. We like to gossip, eat, drink and generally have a good time inventing projects that always require lots more of the same.
I do have a dog and a cat. I adore my dog who started out as a charity case but has turned out to be a very fine companion. I bought her from a drug dealer with a really scary smile. My dog is the only thing I've ever bought from a drug dealer, just so you know. The dogs name is Jessica.
The cat ... well, both the dog and I despise the cat. And respect her personal space. She's old, mean, incredibly lazy and severely antisocial. I keep feeding her and paying her bills, while she appears to be content to lay around and glare daggers at me. So, I guess she's mine. It's possible she has brain damage or kitty skitsophrenia. She had a real cat name but a friend started calling her Doug in honor of my ex. It stuck. Everyone knows her as the cat you do not pet.. or Doug.
My chicken plans are actually quite simple. I'd like to have those 10 Australorp's all be gentle and sweet natured hens; I bought girls. For the Faverolles to be my only rooster. I'm begging fate for a nice, even tempered and friendly rooster too. I want what I want even if it seems to be asking for a bit much ... We'll see how this turns out over time and I'll adjust accordingly.
Thank you so much for all the information shared on this site! An invaluable resource for me, to be sure. Anymore it seems I always start my quest for answers or advice right here whenever I have even a remotely chicken related thought :)
... Never take a picture of baby chickens in your garage with the flash on when they're being lazy. Talk about a major overreaction! I wouldn't have been surprised if a few stroked out on me ... No pictures right now. Geez