So I recently introduced 4 new hens (about 7 months old) who just started laying with my 5 other hens (about 9 months old). All in all, things are going well. That said, I have been noticing some odd color droppings and have had 4 soft shell eggs in the last 3 days. Due to where these were found, I believe them to be from the younger hens, though I can't way with 100% confidence. Any insights are welcome, I am a nervous chicken owner :)
Some important details:
• The Hens:
• The younger girls are 3 Barred Plymouth Rocks, who look to me to be healthy, and 1 Red "Cinnamon" Sex Link, who seems a bit underweight. That said, I have never owned a Sex link so I don't know their normal size.
• They just went through their first molt.
• I believe I saw this color droppings once or twice before introducing them, and I did find two soft eggs.
• The Food:
• Organic Lay Crumbles, free choice
• Organic Scratch, maybe two handfuls per day
• Dried Meal Worms, about one handful per day
• Purina Flock Block, free choice
• Oyster shells, 1/4 cup scattered per day
• Water, Two large dispensers always full
• Natural Chicken Wormer, mixed in crumbles per directions
• Random scraps, off the top of my head I can think of: Broccoli, mushrooms, cantaloupe, bananas, and bread
One of the eggs: