New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Peas

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

So my ducks love peas, but for the amount of ducks we have it would run the costs quite high to keep buying the frozen peas from the grocery store.

What are your feelings towards dry green peas? We have a seed cleaning plant not far form us that sells them.

 

Just to clarify, the peas make a nice treat and probably would supplement their green intake in our long white winters a bit.

Are they ok dry or should I soak them or would they be ok to feed at all? 

post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriardChickens View Post
 

So my ducks love peas, but for the amount of ducks we have it would run the costs quite high to keep buying the frozen peas from the grocery store.

What are your feelings towards dry green peas? We have a seed cleaning plant not far form us that sells them.

 

Just to clarify, the peas make a nice treat and probably would supplement their green intake in our long white winters a bit.

Are they ok dry or should I soak them or would they be ok to feed at all? 

I use split peas in my fermented feed, not sure about using them just plain dried. I'll see what I can find. Seems there was someone here on BYC that was adding dried peas to their homemade chicken feed.

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 

I wouldn't mind bringing some in at night to let them soak in some water if needed...

 

Thanks for your reply :D@Miss Lydia

post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriardChickens View Post
 

I wouldn't mind bringing some in at night to let them soak in some water if needed...

 

Thanks for your reply :D@Miss Lydia

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/108482/best-chicken-feed-recipe-ever  found this.. if you ever want to try FF just let me know it's easy to do and very nutritious for the ducks/etc.

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 

The problem with FF are my winters.. Once the snow falls, it stays until about May. Around January/February we'll drop to -35C over night. Hence my question on just dried peas. Over the winters I think i'd prefer dry feeds..

post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriardChickens View Post
 

The problem with FF are my winters.. Once the snow falls, it stays until about May. Around January/February we'll drop to -35C over night. Hence my question on just dried peas. Over the winters I think i'd prefer dry feeds..

I understand I have to use heated dog bowls to feed ff in winter. Since dried split peas are in the chicken feed mix I posted I'd say the ducks could eat them okay I use chicken feed in my ff .Can't buy water fowl feed around here.

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God ~C.S.Lewis~

Reply
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 

That's an awesome recipe. Thanks!! 

 

I run into the same problem with water fowl feed here, I can get duck starter and grower but they don't feel right to feed long term to the layer flock. Heading over to the seed cleaning plant on Thursday now!:weee

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ducks