Hi everyone! Thanks for all the great advice. The experiences of all the other backyard chicken farmers have been invaluable to us as we dive into caring for our first flock.
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? This is our first flock. We just became home owners, and we would like to turn our city lot in the hills into a permaculture paradise.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now? We have six hens who are ten months old. We hope to grow our flock to a total of ten hens.
(3) What breeds do you have? We currently have two Barred Rocks, two Buff Orpingtons and two Golden sex linked. Our plan is to raise only heritage breeds, but we ended up with two hybrids by accident. We hope to add four Austrolops once we get our yard fenced and have an area for our hens to free range.
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? I found BYC while doing a Google search regarding balding chickens and treatment of mites/lice.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies? We also grow fruits and vegetables and raise rabbits. Within the next year, we'll be adding honey bees and two dairy goats to our little urban farm. As a family, we like to camp and hike.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. Our family consists of two dads, and three kids ages 9, 7, and 7. In addition to chickens and rabbits, we have a yellow lab, two cats and a fish. One of us is a veterinarian who knows absolutely nothing about chickens!