1) Worried about my hen, she started having trouble walking. I can't tell if she is injured or suffering of disease.
1.) 1) What type of bird, age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Blue Partridge Brahma, 7 months, 8 pounds, weight has been consistent/still growing gaining weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly?
Either loss of balance, or injury, or disease is causing her to become unsteady. She has become clumsy and has difficulty walking. (See Video Link under #11)
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Symptoms have become severe in the last three days, today being worse. I would say she has never been entirely coordinated, and had a smooth gait. She has always had a slight limp/lack of coordination but previously nothing alarming such as in the video. I have previously attributed it to her size and growth.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Not at this time
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Cannot find any obvious injury or swelling. Leg seems to be positioned correctly. I don’t believe she has slipped a tendon. Bottom of foot is in very good condition (no bumblefoot, no scaly leg mites ect.)
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Could she have suffered a back injury or hip injury?
Could my large brahma rooster have injured her from mounting?
Could she have Marek’s?
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She is eating and drinking normally. We feed Layer pellets 16% ” Purina Plus Omega-3” free choice oyster shell and grit. Get to free range as well when we are home.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poop appears normal so far
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Separated from flock crated with food and water indoors….seems to cause more stress…
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird till you can get to a vet?
No sure what to do as I do not know what is wrong. In a wait a see pattern. If it’s a injury I would be willing to get x-ray, if folks think its Marek’s then L
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I have a link directly below to a video I took to show her behavior and condition. Please view it to help.
I took images of her face/ head as well today...does not seem to have discharge or swelling that I can tell?
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
10x18 covered run
20x30 fenced run (no cover day access only)