Hi everyone! The husband and I have 5 bantams (2 hens and 3 roos) and 3 black Australorps (2 hens and 1 roo) and we just tried incubating 14 bantam eggs. Well, we got to day 25 and nothing happened so we gave up. We decided that #1- we need a better incubator. The one we borrowed just wasn't up to scratch. And #2- I think we had too many variations in temp and humidity. We had a bad storm/hurricane and lost power for a bit and I think that might have hurt them. Also, one day we came home and them temp was 104. So, I think we're about to order a brand new incubator, some eggs, and try again.
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We got chickens for the first time about 4 years ago and have really enjoyed them.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
See above :)
(3) What breeds do you have?
See above :)
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
A friend has some chickens and suggested we look here for some suggestions on incubating our eggs.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Reading, TV, internet, yard sales, motorcycle riding
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I teach 5th grade and the husband works for the city. We have 3 kids, 2 dogs, and 2 cats. We live out in the country so we have the ideal place for our chickens to roam.
Look forward to talking to you all!