I believe I have only posted in here once a few years ago before I had any backyard poultry! Anyway I'm back and I have yet to get chickens (we are finally getting them THIS SPRING!) but I was given two ducks by my mentor/professor. I trust her and know that these two sweet ducks will do well but I was wondering when we would start seeing eggs ourselves.
Here is the information:
1. We are these ducks' third owners at least (if not fourth).
2. We have a female Pekin duck and a male domesticated mallard. They are a bonded pair which is why I agreed to take them both.
3. The Pekin has a leg problem - she is severely pigeon-toed. It doesn't inhibit her from swimming, though walking is a challenge for her.
4. We just received these ducks on Thursday 10/22/2015.
5. Previous owner (professor/mentor) told me the female did successfully lay consistently this past summer.
6. The ducks are both less than two years old, probably about 18 months.
7. We are feeding them the same thing they've been getting fed since coming to their previous owner: organic layer crumble and corn mixed together.
8. We have hung up string lights to give artificial light during the dark hours. They are placed inside around sunset.
9. They have free access to water and wander the backyard all day.
10. I don't know the last time the Pekin produced an egg.
Do you think they are just adjusting to their new home? They are a little nervous around people but will let us pick them up without trying to get away. We don't pick them up unless they refuse to walk into their enclosure at night.
Thanks so much!