BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance › HELP!! Need coop design advice! Criticize my sketches!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HELP!! Need coop design advice! Criticize my sketches!! - Page 4

post #31 of 38
Thread Starter 

Another month and it is SLOWLY coming along. Picture of the added window and the beginning stages of the rain catchment system. And it is trimmed out and primed! Paint color still needs to be picked. Near term projects are to complete the rain catchment and add shutters and a planter box to the window! Chickens (4 roos and 5 hens) are 5 months old, and still no eggs, yet!

 

post #32 of 38

It's looking good. I'm seriously jealous of all the lovely flat space you have. My land is mostly on a steep bankside that makes fencing and construction significantly more difficult. 

 

I'm not sure if you are aware or not, but that combination of roos and hens is heading for serious problems if they are not kept separately. 

post #33 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebrascora View Post

It's looking good. I'm seriously jealous of all the lovely flat space you have. My land is mostly on a steep bankside that makes fencing and construction significantly more difficult. 

I'm not sure if you are aware or not, but that combination of roos and hens is heading for serious problems if they are not kept separately. 

3 roos are headed for the soup pot shortly. All chickens were hatched from my mother's flock, so we got what nature intended!
Edited by gen2racer - 2/11/16 at 2:22pm
post #34 of 38
Thread Starter 

The coop itself is pretty much done. Still need to do the final coat of paint and some finishing touches. I am working on the fence around the run now, seen here from our deck. Current pasture is 100' x 100' and I am cross fencing it, making the new run 50' x 50'. You can see the new gate location framed in near the apple trees. We also just got another 3 RIR chicks to add to the flock. Exciting times!

 

post #35 of 38
Hi, looks great! Does your coop have good ventilation? My coop didn't at first, and I learned that it's really important. I added ventilation later. Without it, chickens can easily get too hot or too cold or too damp in there, not to mention the buildup of noxious gas.
Designer, builder, and now housekeeper of Deedee's Inn
Reply
Designer, builder, and now housekeeper of Deedee's Inn
Reply
post #36 of 38

Your coop looks fantastic! Thanks for posting this thread btw - we are currently building our coop now, just moving from planning and development stage to implementation lol. I am going to be using some of the advice and changes shared in this thread for our own design. Very cool to watch your coop come together! Congrats and well done!

You have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin'!
Reply
You have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin'!
Reply
post #37 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeedeesInn View Post

Hi, looks great! Does your coop have good ventilation? My coop didn't at first, and I learned that it's really important. I added ventilation later. Without it, chickens can easily get too hot or too cold or too damp in there, not to mention the buildup of noxious gas.

It has decent ventilation but I am going to add two vents on the bottom of of the doors on the short side.
post #38 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickityChina View Post

Your coop looks fantastic! Thanks for posting this thread btw - we are currently building our coop now, just moving from planning and development stage to implementation lol. I am going to be using some of the advice and changes shared in this thread for our own design. Very cool to watch your coop come together! Congrats and well done!

Doing this thread helped me along the way. GOOD LUCK!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance › HELP!! Need coop design advice! Criticize my sketches!!