Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- itemBrinsea Mini Advance Incubatortagged by BantyChooks, 1/31/16
- itemBrinsea OvaScope Egg Viewertagged by BantyChooks, 1/31/16
- categoryDuckstagged by BantyChooks, 6/3/16
- brandFarm Innovatorstagged by BantyChooks, 5/17/16
- topicIncubating Hatching Eggstagged by BantyChooks, 7/20/16
- itemLittle Giant Still Air Incubator 9200tagged by BantyChooks, 1/20/16
- itemStorey's Guide to Raising Poultry, 4th Edition: Chickens, Turkeys, Ducks, Geese, Guineas, Gamebirdstagged by Sally Sunshine, 9/10/16
Related Forum Threads
- EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine, learn everything from hatching to... Last post on Today at 5:21 pm in Incubating & Hatching Eggs
- My Hatching Journey- The Adventures of a Complete Newbie Last post on 11/25/16 at 11:36am in Incubating & Hatching Eggs
- INDIANA BYC'ers HERE! Last post on Today at 2:42 pm in Where am I? Where are you!
- Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Eggs Last post on 11/1/15 at 3:41pm in Incubating & Hatching Eggs
- Ancona Ducks Last post on 11/15/16 at 8:48pm in Ducks
INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! Helpful NOTES LINKS & Informational POST...
Last edited: 12/3/16
- Griffin Nest - HomepageLast edited: 8/5/16
- Incubation Cheat SheetLast edited: 9/15/12
- Building the BinBatorLast edited: 11/30/16
- Other Backyard Fowl - Ducks, Quail, Turkeys, Geese, Etc.Last edited: 9/4/16
Our Blue Bell is a lovely bird. She is a great layer and good with the other 8- Sister Chicks. Good layer, 5-7 eggs per week. Not very friendly, and flies even with clipped...
We handled the chicks and they all come around us. The RR's are the dominant ones in the flock and really pick on the other 6 girls. When we are outdoors, the reds follow us like dogs, which we...
I have one Crested Blue Swedish, Squeaky. She has a Mate named Redford who is a male Black Swedish. I am pretty sure Squeaky (crest blue Swede) is a Crested Blue Swedish, her dad i think was but...
I have one little rooster and am seeking him a hen But I love him he is the cutest one we have he is the funniest
I loved my white cochin to pieces wish I still had her. She was my first broody that I've ever had and took great care of her chicks. Didn't lay eggs frequently. About 4 during a 7 day period.
INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come HATCH, LEARN, & Chat! w/hosts, Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks - Page 233post #2321 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:36pmHELP!! Major wind storm here. We just lost power and my eggs are supposed to go into lockdown tonight. What should I do?
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #2322 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:38pmI have just discovered that Purebred Ameraucanas come in a variety with silkie feathers but are not mixes. I will have these. Someday.Be so happy that when others look at you they become happy tooBe so happy that when others look at you they become happy toopost #2323 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:39pmpost #2324 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:40pmpost #2325 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:41pmQuote:
I would also put some hot pad hand and feet warmers in the blankets to be sure they keep in heat. Or hot water bottles in the incubator, i'm sure one of the more experienced hatchers can give more info. Praying for your babies.
Edited by ambe0487 - 11/17/15 at 5:43pmpost #2326 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:41pmThread StarterQuote:
many times I have seen people make it through these!!! just like gimmie just did!!! but please always.....
HAVE A PLAN IN CASE YOU LOOSE ELECTRIC
ITS THE SEASON! see post #522
this is that post.......
if the electric goes off, you have to do whatever you have to do to keep them warm, if you have to take them to someone that has electric or take them to the car to run them off the car battery. just be careful.
you should ALWAYS have a plan and we also have a electric alarm if we loose electric! you just plug it into an outlet and it sounds when you loose it! and its cheap!
$6.00Quote:Hatching Eggs 101 - BackYard Chickens Community
WHAT YOU CAN DO to save overheated or cold eggs!
What Temperatures Kill In An Incubator?
WHAT If the Power Goes Off?
To understand more about embryo viability & temperatures
Please refer to the following links….
Some other ideas to help maintain heat in your incubator and great when you turn by hand is by adding some sterilized rocks,
or even several sealed jars with warm water or small ziplock baggies with warm water to fill the empty incubator spaces.
A full incubator of eggs always helps maintain a steady temperature even if it’s not good for your chicken math!
dry rice heated on woodstove
Edited by Sally Sunshine - 11/17/15 at 5:52pmpost #2327 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:41pmQuote:Oh ****, that sucks. Hopefully power comes back quick. Hot water bottles, or the heating packs that you can get at the store and put in gloves could be used to help keep the temp up.
Edited by Saris - 11/17/15 at 5:41pmBe so happy that when others look at you they become happy tooBe so happy that when others look at you they become happy toopost #2328 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:41pmQuote:
Go back to post #522. Lots of good info there.
Eta- good luck! And dont panic!!
Edited by WVduckchick - 11/17/15 at 5:42pmSwedish ducks, golden comets and a light brahma roo, large fowl lavender orpingtons, bantam chocolate orpingtons, bantam cochins, silver duckwing OEGBs and Seramas!Swedish ducks, golden comets and a light brahma roo, large fowl lavender orpingtons, bantam chocolate orpingtons, bantam cochins, silver duckwing OEGBs and Seramas!post #2329 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by Sally Sunshine
HAVE A PLAN IN CASE YOU LOOSE ELECTRIC ITS THE SEASON! see post #522Swedish ducks, golden comets and a light brahma roo, large fowl lavender orpingtons, bantam chocolate orpingtons, bantam cochins, silver duckwing OEGBs and Seramas!post #2330 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:42pmI just candles some of my eggs.Day 17 lockdown tommorow.baby's are steel alive but,the pointed end u can Still see in it.veins are big,air cell right size,baby's are still moving.I thought the pointed end is suppost to be dark.Also their is no veins in the pointed end only the big end and atached to the chick and all.Thoughts anyone.???? :-) :-) :-)
Edited by chicken hawk 33 - 11/17/15 at 5:43pm
This thread is locked
- INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come HATCH, LEARN, & Chat! w/hosts, Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks
- Griffin Nest - Homepage
- › Funny/Sad/Happy stories of your chickens 22 seconds ago
- › Just joined but been looking at this website for a week 33 seconds ago
- › Granny's gone and done it again 1 minute ago
- › Brooding Time 2 minutes ago
- › EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine, learn... 2 minutes ago
- › What is wrong with my hen's eye? 4 minutes ago
- › Egg/show online 5 minutes ago
- › Pennsylvania!! Unite!! 6 minutes ago
- › Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank 7 minutes ago
- › Hands on hatching and help 8 minutes ago
- › Why are my hens not laying? Click here for...
- › Chickens at Sweet Pea's Rustic Roost
- › The Art Of Socializing Chickens
- › The Lowly Christmas Tree!
- › Fall Chickens
- › The Story of Pepper the Easter Egger!
- › My backyard Coop
- › The little banty flock~
- › My BYC Family (best friends)
- › Our Dead World member page