Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- itemBrinsea Mini Advance Incubatortagged by BantyChooks, 1/31/16
- itemBrinsea OvaScope Egg Viewertagged by BantyChooks, 1/31/16
- categoryDuckstagged by BantyChooks, 6/3/16
- brandFarm Innovatorstagged by BantyChooks, 5/17/16
- topicIncubating Hatching Eggstagged by BantyChooks, 7/20/16
- itemLittle Giant Still Air Incubator 9200tagged by BantyChooks, 1/20/16
- itemStorey's Guide to Raising Poultry, 4th Edition: Chickens, Turkeys, Ducks, Geese, Guineas, Gamebirdstagged by Sally Sunshine, 9/10/16
Related Forum Threads
- EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine, learn everything from hatching to... Last post on Today at 8:36 am in Incubating & Hatching Eggs
- My Hatching Journey- The Adventures of a Complete Newbie Last post on 10/19/16 at 12:24am in Incubating & Hatching Eggs
- INDIANA BYC'ers HERE! Last post on Today at 6:22 am in Where am I? Where are you!
- Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Eggs Last post on 11/1/15 at 3:41pm in Incubating & Hatching Eggs
- Ancona Ducks Last post on 10/16/16 at 1:40pm in Ducks
Griffin Nest - Homepage
Last edited: 8/5/16
- Incubation Cheat SheetLast edited: 9/15/12
- Building the BinBatorLast edited: 8/7/16
- Other Backyard Fowl - Ducks, Quail, Turkeys, Geese, Etc.Last edited: 9/4/16
- Building our Duck PondLast edited: 8/18/16
These are my absolute favorite chicken. Each one of them has their own personality, as well as their own unique patterns and colors of "flowers". They will run to you when they see you and come...
I have never had a hen, but my friend bought me one, who was crazy, and then all her chickens got stolen. Then she got another one for herself, and that girl is crazy, and then I got one for me,...
We got 5 BO chicks when we first started out, two of which turned out to be roos, one of which is still alive and he is amazing. Super gentle, especially with younger hens, and is only a little -...
If I was going to have only one breed forever, it would very likely be EE's. If I sit down outside, I've got 5 chickens trying to fit on my lap! They are one of the few chickens I let little kids...
I love my brahmas. My three buff brahmas are BBF's - constantly hanging out - ALL. DAY. LONG. They were raised by a broody hen and are still quite happy to come up and sit in your lap. My light...
INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come HATCH, LEARN, & Chat! w/hosts, Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks - Page 233post #2321 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:36pmHELP!! Major wind storm here. We just lost power and my eggs are supposed to go into lockdown tonight. What should I do?
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #2322 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:38pmI have just discovered that Purebred Ameraucanas come in a variety with silkie feathers but are not mixes. I will have these. Someday.Be so happy that when others look at you they become happy tooBe so happy that when others look at you they become happy toopost #2323 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:39pmpost #2324 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:40pmpost #2325 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:41pmQuote:
I would also put some hot pad hand and feet warmers in the blankets to be sure they keep in heat. Or hot water bottles in the incubator, i'm sure one of the more experienced hatchers can give more info. Praying for your babies.
Edited by ambe0487 - 11/17/15 at 5:43pmpost #2326 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:41pmThread StarterQuote:
many times I have seen people make it through these!!! just like gimmie just did!!! but please always.....
HAVE A PLAN IN CASE YOU LOOSE ELECTRIC
ITS THE SEASON! see post #522
this is that post.......
if the electric goes off, you have to do whatever you have to do to keep them warm, if you have to take them to someone that has electric or take them to the car to run them off the car battery. just be careful.
you should ALWAYS have a plan and we also have a electric alarm if we loose electric! you just plug it into an outlet and it sounds when you loose it! and its cheap!
$6.00Quote:Hatching Eggs 101 - BackYard Chickens Community
WHAT YOU CAN DO to save overheated or cold eggs!
What Temperatures Kill In An Incubator?
WHAT If the Power Goes Off?
To understand more about embryo viability & temperatures
Please refer to the following links….
Some other ideas to help maintain heat in your incubator and great when you turn by hand is by adding some sterilized rocks,
or even several sealed jars with warm water or small ziplock baggies with warm water to fill the empty incubator spaces.
A full incubator of eggs always helps maintain a steady temperature even if it’s not good for your chicken math!
dry rice heated on woodstove
Edited by Sally Sunshine - 11/17/15 at 5:52pmpost #2327 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:41pmQuote:Oh ****, that sucks. Hopefully power comes back quick. Hot water bottles, or the heating packs that you can get at the store and put in gloves could be used to help keep the temp up.
Edited by Saris - 11/17/15 at 5:41pmBe so happy that when others look at you they become happy tooBe so happy that when others look at you they become happy toopost #2328 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:41pmQuote:
Go back to post #522. Lots of good info there.
Eta- good luck! And dont panic!!
Edited by WVduckchick - 11/17/15 at 5:42pmSwedish ducks, golden comets and a light brahma roo, lavender orpingtons, bantam orpingtons (chocolate, black, mauve, splash), bantam cochins, old english bantams (silver duckwing and self blue), and Seramas!Swedish ducks, golden comets and a light brahma roo, lavender orpingtons, bantam orpingtons (chocolate, black, mauve, splash), bantam cochins, old english bantams (silver duckwing and self blue), and Seramas!post #2329 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:42pmQuote:Originally Posted by Sally Sunshine
HAVE A PLAN IN CASE YOU LOOSE ELECTRIC ITS THE SEASON! see post #522Swedish ducks, golden comets and a light brahma roo, lavender orpingtons, bantam orpingtons (chocolate, black, mauve, splash), bantam cochins, old english bantams (silver duckwing and self blue), and Seramas!post #2330 of 15763111/17/15 at 5:42pmI just candles some of my eggs.Day 17 lockdown tommorow.baby's are steel alive but,the pointed end u can Still see in it.veins are big,air cell right size,baby's are still moving.I thought the pointed end is suppost to be dark.Also their is no veins in the pointed end only the big end and atached to the chick and all.Thoughts anyone.???? :-) :-) :-)
Edited by chicken hawk 33 - 11/17/15 at 5:43pm
This thread is locked
- INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come HATCH, LEARN, & Chat! w/hosts, Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks
- Incubation Cheat Sheet
- › Stray Cat at coop caught on gamecam 4 seconds ago
- › Granny's gone and done it again 16 seconds ago
- › New Member in El Paso, TX 36 seconds ago
- › silkie sexing 47 seconds ago
- › EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine, learn... 57 seconds ago
- › *In the Arctic* A Fox RP 58 seconds ago
- › ^The Two Forests^ A Shapeshifting RP 1 minute ago
- › Help with Breed Identification 1 minute ago
- › HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long 2016 w/ Hosts, Mike, Sally & BantyChooks 1 minute ago
- › Hatch date 4/25/16, anyone getting eggs? 2 minutes ago
- › Swedish Flower chicken by cree57i
- › Speckled Sussex by PeepersMama
- › Orpington by PeepersMama
- › Easter Eggers by PeepersMama
- › Brahma by PeepersMama
- › Barred Rock by PeepersMama
- › Freedom Ranger by bobhoke
- › Ideal Poultry salmon faverolles by mangobees
- › Chick-N-Hutch Chicken Hutch - 1490 by The Duck Ladie
- › Silver Appleyard by hooktontravel
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age
- › Chicken Exhibitions and Showing: How to get...
- › Glossary of Chicken Terms
- › -Feathers-Rp member page
- › ~The Quackers- Past and Present~
- › New to Chickens and don't know witch...
- › Wound Care for chickens.
- › Autumn and chickens.
- › Don't Know Where To Find/Ask/Post...
- › A Flock Tale